Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Is this consensus on Beck? From my viewings he displayed great IQ. I think he possesses a very complete tool box. He lacks top end skills but that's it.

I think he's an ideal 3C with 2C potential still. He's our very own Ryan O'Reilly, I'm super high on him.
I don't think many if any agree with me here, so definitely not the consensus.
If he had the IQ, he would certainly have that O'Reilly-type potential for us, but personally I don't see it. I think he has the skills and the physical attributes, but I've seen the guy trying to pass the puck to the ref at times thinking it was a teammate lol. I hope I'm wrong big time about him but I really see a 4th liner.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Saying Beck's IQ is low is one of the worst takes I've seen in quite some time. As for Mesar he isn't competing against Beck.
He's competing against guys like Roy Newhook Demidov .
I never implied he was competing against Beck, don't know where you're getting that from. And he certainly isn't competing against Demidov either. Roy, Newhook, Gallagher, Armia. Those are his competition. I see his potential as a really good 3rd line guy who can be a temporary injury fill in on a top 6.

I think anyone who sees high hockey IQ in Beck doesn't know what they are watching, with all due respect. To be clear, I'm not saying he isn't an intelligent player/person. I'm talking about offensive awareness/vision/poise, that kind of thing.

Let's revisit this post later in the year. I personally think Beck is all physical skills and attributes, zero vision and poise. Doesn't mean I think he's a bad player, I just think he doesn't have the hockey brain to keep up with his impressive skillset.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I never implied he was competing against Beck, don't know where you're getting that from. And he certainly isn't competing against Demidov either. Roy, Newhook, Gallagher, Armia. Those are his competition. I see his potential as a really good 3rd line guy who can be a temporary injury fill in on a top 6.

I think anyone who sees high hockey IQ in Beck doesn't know what they are watching, with all due respect. To be clear, I'm not saying he isn't an intelligent player/person. I'm talking about offensive awareness/vision/poise, that kind of thing.

Let's revisit this post later in the year. I personally think Beck is all physical skills and attributes, zero vision and poise. Doesn't mean I think he's a bad player, I just think he doesn't have the hockey brain to keep up with his impressive skillset.
Dude you said Beck the recipient of the MVP trophy at the Memorial Cup had limited IQ which is FALSE.
Anyone who doesn't appreciate what Beck does at both end of the rink doesn't know what they are watching.
Beck isn't an offensive player his vision is more than fine for his role and as for poise give me a break.
Beck will be a Montreal Canadien Mesar probably not.

I guess Mesar must obviously be Mensa material. :dunno:

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Mesar and Kidney scream AHL/Europe to me. Decent guys to have in the A for now in case of injuries, but they haven't done much since being drafted, and the list of prospects ahead of them continues to grow.
Mesar may have underperformed since being drafted but the same cannot be said about kidney. Two 100+ seasons in the Q and his first pro season the A. I do agree that Kidney probably won’t make the Show but he has shown more than Mesar

Dude you said Beck the recipient of the MVP trophy at the Memorial Cup had limited IQ which is FALSE.
Anyone who doesn't appreciate what Beck does at both end of the rink doesn't know what they are watching.
Beck isn't an offensive player his vision is more than fine for his role and as for poise give me a break.

For similar reasons why people discredit Reinbacher, Montreal fans want to be wowed or it’s busy. The reality is guys like Beck and Reinbacher win in the playoffs when games are tight

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Gilbert Delhorme... you're an ex habs player and you can't call a buddy in the habs organisation to confirm Mesar's weight?

Check tes facts bigz... Mesar is 184 lb not 168lb... you were only off by 16 lb !
Lache HockeyDB

Je regrette bombshell11 mais c'est pas assez lourd! Qu'il mange ses croutes, la LNH c'est pas la tite ecole la!

1000008846.jpg

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004

Ok bud, just completely miss the point of what I said then.

Beck is a heart and soul player, with lots of technical skill and good physical attributes. Of course I appreciate his game. I think he will be a welcome replacement for Evans one day. He definitely does not have poise or vision enough for a potential top 9 center role in the NHL, in my opinion.

Mesar, on the other hand, does have the poise and vision required to be a top-9 NHLer.

I changed from "IQ" to "poise and vision" to be specific to my point.

Hope to be wrong on Beck and right on Mesar, let's see what happens this season.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
"it didn't work out."

Holy f***ing shit, it's been two years. He was a late 1st.

I really hope he becomes a great player so I can hear all the people here saying "I KNEW IT FROM THE START! WHAT A GREAT PICK."

Garbage.

I don't know how you do it, man. Even when we disagree, I think it's easy to see where each of us are coming from. But this shit is crazy and has drove me to being less involved here. If you could learn anything from these forums... they might as well get rid of the AHL because prospects never need time to development. Get them in the NHL by 20 and if they aren't ready - send them home!
Why is it the same folks (not pointing fingers) who complain about prospects being rushed, almost simultaneously, complain about a prospect not being in the nhl after 2 years.

Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Beck is a heart and soul player, with lots of technical skill and good physical attributes. Of course I appreciate his game. I think he will be a welcome replacement for Evans one day. He definitely does not have poise or vision enough for a potential top 9 center role in the NHL, in my opinion.

Mesar, on the other hand, does have the poise and vision required to be a top-9 NHLer.

Hope to be wrong on Beck and right on Mesar, let's see what happens this season.
Beck has more poise and vision than you give him credit for.
I counted five or six tape to tape passes in the Ozone over his two game stretch that required poise and vision.
Owen Beck likes to move the puck quickly and then reposition himself so he may not seem as poised as say a Kapanen who likes to hang on to it.

I'll be interested to see what Mesar can accomplish this year in Laval he has a tendency to fade when things aren't going his way.
I'm already on record saying he's far more mature this year he now has to bring that to his game shift to shift.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I dont think i have ever overrated Mesar, I have exaggerated my predictions but i still think he's got elite offensive talent but has giant holes without the puck... which is very easy to teach.

He was considered a wonderkid in Slovakia and was rated to go out as early as 10. Only issue with him was his size and defensive game.

Im exited to see him play in Laval this year and show everyone what he's trully capable of

Define "who"

"I have not overrated Mesar, I only overrated Mesar."

You'd have an excuse if you said 100 points instead of 70-80 (on PPG), but you were claiming OHL record setting levels of 200.

That's like saying:
"I dont think i have ever overrated Plekanec, I have exaggerated my predictions of him being like Beliveau."

At least be honest with yourself.

Reactions: mdk

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Owen Beck likes to move the puck quickly and then reposition himself so he may not seem as poised as say a Kapanen who likes to hang on to it.
I was speaking to (one of?) Beck’s skills coach(es) ~ 6 months ago. He’s been working on / focusing on his puck handling.

Sometimes a lack of poise / patience is a sign that puck handling needs work. Keep it simple mentally kicks in.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Mesar may have underperformed since being drafted but the same cannot be said about kidney. Two 100+ seasons in the Q and his first pro season the A. I do agree that Kidney probably won’t make the Show but he has shown more than Mesar

For similar reasons why people discredit Reinbacher, Montreal fans want to be wowed or it’s busy. The reality is guys like Beck and Reinbacher win in the playoffs when games are tight

Kidney was terrible in his first pro season as he couldn't resort to his IQ to compensate for his relatively poor athletic state. I'd be surprised if Mesar did worse this year.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
"I have not overrated Mesar, I only overrated Mesar."

You'd have an excuse if you said 100 points instead of 70-80 (on PPG), but you were claiming OHL record setting levels of 200.

That's like saying:
"I dont think i have ever overrated Plekanec, I have exaggerated my predictions of him being like Beliveau."

At least be honest with yourself.

I am honest

The dude scored 4 pts in his first game. Thats literally a 200 pt pace in 50 games.

Look they dint like him in kitchener, he dint make good friends, he was not in the first line and was generating 6 chances per night to teammates who couldnt keep up.

I saw the talent and i think im very satisfied with my scouting analisys of the player.

I couldnt know kitchener was this bad.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

I think you are underrating Beck's abilities. I think he will have a lengthy career as a middle 6 in the NHL.

As for Mesar, he will either have a NHL career in the top 6 (not in Montreal) or phase out in the next 3-4 years. Either way, I'd be surprised if he spent time in Montreal after 2027.

Hindsight 20/20, but given our current team+prospect makeup, there would have been many better choices: Kulich, Bystedt, Howard, Lambert, Firkus and Lund.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I am honest

The dude scored 4 pts in his first game. Thats literally a 200 pt pace in 50 games.

Look they dint like him in kitchener, he dint make good friends, he was not in the first line and was generating 6 chances per night to teammates who couldnt keep up.

I saw the talent and i think im very satisfied with my scouting analisys of the player.

I couldnt know kitchener was this bad.

So calling Poehling a Richard candidate and clear 1st line C is honest. The whole NHL is against him succeeding.

Reminds me of when I was in my 20s and thought Keith Tkachuk would have a monster year after he had like 6 points in 2 games.

You will grow up.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I think you are underrating Beck's abilities. I think he will have a lengthy career as a middle 6 in the NHL.

As for Mesar, he will either have a NHL career in the top 6 (not in Montreal) or phase out in the next 3-4 years. Either way, I'd be surprised if he spent time in Montreal after 2027.

Hindsight 20/20, but given our current team+prospect makeup, there would have been many better choices: Kulich, Bystedt, Howard, Lambert, Firkus and Lund.

Ill be here to laugh this one out.

Mesar will do-mi-nate in laval this year

So calling Poehling a Richard candidate and clear 1st line C is honest. The whole NHL is against him succeeding.

Reminds me of when I was in my 20s and thought Keith Tkachuk would have a monster year after he had like 6 points in 2 games.

You will grow up.

I called the 200 pts before his first ohl game not after.

I have growned up

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Ill be here to laugh this one out.

Mesar will do-mi-nate in laval this year

I called the 200 pts before his first ohl game not after.

I have growned up

Here we go again.

If he finishes top3 in points on Laval (or gets a permanent NHL role), I will make a public apology to you and wear a Mesar avatar until he's not Habs property anymore.

If he gets under 45 points, you will admit you are overexaggerating Mesar's skill.

Deal?

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Here we go again.

If he finishes top3 in points on Laval (or gets a permanent NHL role), I will make a public apology to you and wear a Mesar avatar until he's not Habs property anymore.

If he gets under 45 points, you will admit you are overexaggerating Mesar's skill.

Deal?

No its 50+ over 18 mins a game @70 games

If they play him 13 mins and he gets less because of it we'll have to take that under consideration

If you agree than yeah

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004

Let's see.
Only way I can see Beck in a middle six is as a winger(hard no considering his faceoff prowess) or if he can slow things down in his head(Hard thing to do imo).

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
No its 50+ over 18 mins a game @70 games

If they play him 13 mins and he gets less because of it we'll have to take that under consideration

If you agree than yeah

That kind of defeat the purpose. You're trying to make a prediction on a prediction.

Predict a number for this year and I'll tell you if I accept to bet under. Stop hiding behind a victim complex that Mesar is somehow discriminated against.

Let's see.
Only way I can see Beck in a middle six is as a winger(hard no considering his faceoff prowess) or if he can slow things down in his head(Hard thing to do imo).

Ok

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Kidney was terrible in his first pro season as he couldn't resort to his IQ to compensate for his relatively poor athletic state. I'd be surprised if Mesar did worse this year.
Here’s the thing. Kidney progressed for two years in juniors and then hit a wall turning pro. To be expected.

Mesar went from being pro to stagnating in juniors. There lies the difference in their post draft development

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
But out of those 3-4 players in that range, is it that hard to believe that Habs had Mesar ahead of the others? If you seriously think they're selecting someone because of another draft pick and not because of his own merits, then I don't know what to tell you other than your narrative (that others share) is way off.

Also, I disagree with your take that he has to be a Top-6 and that he'd be a terrible Bottom-6. Let me remind you that he's a 26th OA pick and not a Top-10 pick. Chances are more that he'll be a Bottom-6 than a Top-6. And I think he would be good in that role, too. He plays with pace and has great vision.

He has things to work on. But people are throwing the towel on this guy so fast, it's ridiculous, especially when sooo many haven't even really watched him play a lot.
I don't think the Habs selected Mesar purely because he was Slaf's friend, but I think it would definitely be considered a plus for them. I'm sure they had him ranked higher than 26th anyway so he was definitely near the top of their board no matter what,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad