Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup? Assuming he has an above average finals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
If I'm honest, McDavid hasn't exactly been that great despite his points. Draisaitl has actually been the more dangerous player on most given nights. Man is a beast
The same Draisaitl that has 3 points in his last 5 games and is a -1 in that time span, including being held shotless against Dallas in a pivotal game 6 to close out the series? No he hasn't been that dangerous at all, in fact he has been downright disappointing in the last few games.

If Florida wins then its Barkov's or Bob's to lose. Not McD's to win..
I actually agree with you, but not if it goes to a game 7 somehow. If it is a game 7, the voters vote before knowing the result of the game right? I think its the 1st or 2nd period, someone might know.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
Fans carry more desire for their star to get the trophy than the star themselves. If it were me I'd throw it into lake O or just leave it in the locker room.

Reactions: sanscosm

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
If McDavid sets the assist record, ends with 40+ points while the next panther can't even crack 30?

Yeah, and its pretty silly that this thread is full of people dismissing this very likely possibility.
I'm gonna say if McDavid ends up 40+ points the Oilers are hoisting the cup. So no that scenario is not very likely.

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
The same Draisaitl that has 3 points in his last 5 games and is a -1 in that time span, including being held shotless against Dallas in a pivotal game 6 to close out the series? No he hasn't been that dangerous at all, in fact he has been downright disappointing in the last few games.

I actually agree with you, but not if it goes to a game 7 somehow. If it is a game 7, the voters vote before knowing the result of the game right? I think its the 1st or 2nd period, someone might know.
I mean you could say the same for McDavid for quite a number of games thru the playoffs. He's been invisible in some of them

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
There was nothing pathetic about Giguere in 2003. It was the best goaltending ever (along with 99' Hasek).
It was pathetic that he won. Only in the NHL can a losing player win a championship MVP. Doesn't even sound possible when you say it out loud.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
It was pathetic that he won. Only in the NHL can a losing player win a championship MVP. Doesn't even sound possible when you say it out loud.

1. It just takes a mindset that is more than “win good, lose bad” strict black and white level of thinking. Sometimes there are some really exceptional cases that happen to coincide with a non-slam dunk candidate to hand it to like most postseasons.

2. It’s not a championship MVP by definition. It’s awarded to the player judged to be the most valuable to their team throughout the playoffs.

3. The three other major NA sports each have an instance of it happening. Not as much as the NHL of course.

Also a note of interest is that out of the eight times it happened across the four sports, six of them occurred in the 60s and 70s. Maybe people were a little more open-minded and gave it more thought? That being said, there was serious talk about giving it to LeBron during one of those Finals he lost. The discussion is not unheard of outside the NHL.

I don’t think there’s much to worry about currently. McDavid will win it if the Oilers win. Bob and Barkov are two exceptional contenders that either would be easy to hand it to should Florida win.

Reactions: Sentinel

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Panthers have done a terrific job at making him completely ineffective, and it's exposing the lack of depth the Oilers have if McDavid isn't putting up 3 points in a game.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
McDavid now has 27 assists. McDavid is only the 6th guy to score 27 assists in a playoff run. All 5 other guys won the cup and 4 of them won the Conn Smythe.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
If my memory serves me right, the votes are cast before the period after which the Cup may be awarded.

So first vote can take place in the second intermission of game four (if the series is 3-0).

The results are scrapped and the votes recast before each subsequent period where the Cup is on the line (second intermission of each relevant game and before each overtime period in relevant games).

So in a series that go seven game, it is possible that the result is very much open at the time the voting takes place.

In 2003 when Giguère won, the game was 2-0 for the Devils (I would call that insurmountable lead in 2003), so the decision to crown Giguère was intentional. But we could have situation where the voting would be held without knowing which team is going to win. Or even worse, a team could lose a comfortable lead in third period which could easily result in losing player gettin a Conn Smythe because voters expected his team to win.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
McDavid better move his ass if he wants the Smythe, because he sure as hell shouldn't be considered at the moment.

The bullshit notion that he deserves the award just because he's McDavid is just that.

Last edited:

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Oilers dominated G1 and got Goalued, come on be realistic. Series could easily be 1-1.
I expect a 2-2 series coming into G5.
I'll take this bet.

You mentioned game 1. What about game 2 when they were awful. No shows from everyone. That's not being goalied. That is getting destroyed.

Playing on a different ice surface isn't going to magically change this series around.

When the Pens/Bruins came back, both were competitive in the first two games. Nobody thought they didn't belong. Quite different from what we are seeing here.

Reactions: stampedingviking

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Barkov and Lundell have been amazing defensively.

Every opposing teams fan base has overlooked Lundell

Luostarinen- Lundell make the best 3rd line in the league, they don’t take a shift off.

& with that Florida can just play a relentless style of hockey

Oilers dominated G1 and got Goalued, come on be realistic. Series could easily be 1-1.
I expect a 2-2 series coming into G5.

At what point of game 1 was Florida panicking?

Florida did to Edmonton what they did to Dallas in game 6

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'll take this bet.

You mentioned game 1. What about game 2 when they were awful. No shows from everyone. That's not being goalied. That is getting destroyed.

Playing on a different ice surface isn't going to magically change this series around.

When the Pens/Bruins came back, both were competitive in the first two games. Nobody thought they didn't belong. Quite different from what we are seeing here.

So 2 games on the road, where clearly they dominated play in G1 and one game where
Florida elevated their game and won and the series doesn't have a good chance coming back tied?

Edmonton will play the next two similar to G1 and with home ice win the next 2.
Just so you know I voted Florida in 6 but I'll be surprised if they don't win next 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad