Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup? Assuming he has an above average finals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It makes zero sense for a skater. You can’t be the most valuable player if you didn’t get your team the cup.

It makes a little sense for a goalie, who no matter how good can’t contribute on offense. A goalie can put on the game of his life and lose 1-0 in 5OT.

That logic makes 0 sense.

You can be a skater and score 5 goals each game, but if your goalie lets in 6 goals each game still lose the cup.

Extreme examples are useless. I don't see why a goalie could win but not a skarer in a losing cause. If their performance is dominant enough, and if no one stands out as much on the winner side, whether you're a goalie or skater shouldn't really make a difference

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
That logic makes 0 sense.

You can be a skater and score 5 goals each game, but if your goalie lets in 6 goals each game still lose the cup.

Extreme examples are useless. I don't see why a goalie could win but not a skarer in a losing cause. If their performance is dominant enough, and if no one stands out as much on the winner side, whether you're a goalie or skater shouldn't really make a difference
You opened the thread with a comment that it’s “50/50” the Oilers win the cup and you want to talk about logic?

Reactions: Sentinel and Plural

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
You opened the thread with a comment that it’s “50/50” the Oilers win the cup and you want to talk about logic?
Not surprising that some are having a hard time accepting that the oilers are in the finals. Denial is an honorable coping strategy.

Reactions: Duke74

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
He won't win it if he is just good and Edmonton loses. If he goes off but the team sucks then I think he actually has a good chance.
Agree. If he has 12+ points he has a chance even of they lose. Top 3 in single playoff scoring and likely the assist record...that pretty good. Expecially if no one on florid really stands out.

Yes?

Is it not 50/50 that Oilers win the cup?
Nope. Do you think each team had exactly the same chance of winning?

Reactions: Sentinel

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
I don't think a scenario where McDavid gets like 12+ points and the Oilerd lose exists, let alone 17 points (a new overall playoff point record). In case of FLA winning the Cup, though, it's easy to envision none of their top guys really stand out from their deep roster.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Not surprising that some are having a hard time accepting that the oilers are in the finals. Denial is an honorable coping strategy.
Nah, making a lot of $$$ off my tickets… I’m well aware they’re in the finals. Thanks

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
They were talking about this on the 32 Thoughts Podcast The discussion was if it was possible a player in the conference final or cup final team lost but put on such a performance that they would be awarded the CS trophy?

I came to the same conclusion they did, can it technically happen? Yes. But that performance would have to be off such a level that the question would have to be asked how is it possible that player’s team lose then? I doubt it will ever happen. Would it be cool for the discussion and debate? Definitely. But I don’t see it ever happening.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
If you thought Giguere looked like he wanted to throw himself down a well holding that Conn Smythe, just imagine McDavid.
This is why I never agreed with handing it to the losing team. Like yeah let’s make a player stay out on the ice longer during the most devastating moment of his career and probably doesn’t even care if he won the award. It’s really embarrassing for the player accepting an award while looking like his dog died.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

rea

Feb 8, 2011
No way. Last player to do it was Giguere, and it's because he was literally the only reason they almost won.

Connor isn't the only cog on this team, even if he's the best one. But it could be said, a different player was prob mvp for them ever series. Hyman vs la, draisaitl vs van etc. This year the winning team will have conn smythe

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If the series went 7 and he played well in a losing cause, he has a legit shot at winning it. If Edmonton were swept? Then no.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
If the series went 7 and he played well in a losing cause, he has a legit shot at winning it. If Edmonton were swept? Then no.
I don't see it. I think Bob would win since he is the last goalie alive with even a lookable GA at 2.08, while other Panther players do not stand out with that remarkable points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad