Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup? Assuming he has an above average finals

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Why would you give an award to a player in a series that has barely started, and in which he has done nothing at this point to deserve it? Odd logic being used here.

But if you are referring to losing players being awarded a Conn Smythe it happens from time to time. I think Giguere won it and lost in 2003.

Edit:

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The Conn Smythe is supposed to go to the most valuable individual player in the playoffs but the voters have essentially decided to ignore the criteria and go for the best story line narrative, and the best narrative practically always comes from the winning team.

So no, if the oilers lose McDavid will likely not get the award.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The Conn Smythe is supposed to go to the most valuable individual player in the playoffs but the voters have essentially decided to ignore the criteria and go for the best story line narrative, and the best narrative practically always comes from the winning team.

So no, if the oilers lose McDavid will likely not get the award.
I agree it was a shame the voters gave it to Ovechkin in 2018.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I agree it was a shame the voters gave it to Ovechkin in 2018.

I wouldn't expect a Penguins fan to have watched all the games or understand that the Capitals were playing a heavy game led by physical players like Ovie, Wilson, and Orpik. You probably didn't watch the Lightning or Vegas series after your team was golfing, although you probably saw Ovechkin have 3 late-game back breaking primary assists and goals to send your team packing.

Ovechkin + Backstrom
Ovechkin + Vrana
Ovechkin + Kuznetsov and it was nighty night for your Pens:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I wouldn't expect a Penguins fan to have watched all the games or understand that the Capitals were playing a heavy game led by physical players like Ovie, Wilson, and Orpik. You probably didn't watch the Lightning or Vegas series after your team was golfing, although you probably saw Ovechkin have 3 late-game back breaking primary assists and goals to send your team packing.

Ovechkin + Backstrom
Ovechkin + Vrana
Ovechkin + Kuznetsov and it was nighty night for your Pens:

I watched all the Capitals games that playoff except for a couple against TB. Kuznetsov was their most impactful player.

But I would never forget the refereeing in that series, like Wilson tripping Maatta to create that chance in the first clip.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Generally when a player on the losing team wins it’s a goaltender who stood on his head and there’s no obvious choice on the winning team. I don’t really see a case for McDavid if the Oilers lose. He’s already been held pointless for the first game too.

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
It was pathetic when giguere won it in 2003 and should be a moment of embarrassment for the NHL. it should never happen again.

Reactions: Monsieur Miz

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
It’s only happened once and it was when a goalie was essentially unbeatable dragging a bad Anaheim team to within one win of a Cup.

McDavid has been amazing, but Edmonton wish also a good team with other players putting up great performances on his team as well.

It’s not going to happen barring him scoring like 4pts/game in a 7 game losing effort (while the rest of his teammates play terrible)
It happened in 1987 also. Ron Hextall. Took a team that should have lost in 4 or 5 to the 7th game

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
If the Oilers lose then McDavid will have a lot of shades of Gretzky from 1983. And Gretzky had 38 points in the postseason and the best Islander that year was Bob Bourne with 28 points. Then Bossy with 26 points. Potvin had 20 points. But the Conn Smythe went to Billy Smith. Partly because Gretzky was shut down to just 4 assists in the 4-game sweep. You aren't giving anyone the Conn Smythe after he gets 34 points in the first three rounds. It is too much of a let down. In other words, Gretzky didn't win the Smythe simply because the Oilers were too overpowered that Cup final and there were other Islanders that played well also. Gretzky didnt win it as a King in 1993 with 40 points either! One non-goalie in history has done it and that's Reggie Leach in 1976. No one overall has done it in 21 years. If the Panthers win it will be in part because of Bobrovsky, and I think that will help elevate him, especially if McDavid doesn't put up much in the way of points. So if they win that trophy probably goes to Bob. Or even someone like Vergaeghe or Barkov.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It happened in 1987 also. Ron Hextall. Took a team that should have lost in 4 or 5 to the 7th game
Did not know that, thanks.

So yeah, basically you need to be a goalie who dragged teams through to an “almost” Cup to have any chance

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Did not know that, thanks.

So yeah, basically you need to be a goalie who dragged teams through to an “almost” Cup to have any chance

Only one skater has ever "won" the Conn Smythe while playing for the losing side, and it was Reggie Leach with Philly, the year he set the single-season playoff goals record (19). The others to do it were all goalies.

Connor would have to set a new record to have any chance - should Edmonton go on to lose, that is. If they win, he's as big a lock as it gets.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Theoretically, if it goes 6 games and he gets 15 points in those 6 games, I can see it.

However, if it's a sweep, regardless of how many points he puts up, he shouldn't win it. That would be embarrassing for the league.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
If McDavid sets the assist record, ends with 40+ points while the next panther can't even crack 30?

Yeah, and its pretty silly that this thread is full of people dismissing this very likely possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad