Hypothetical - does McDavid win the Conn Smythe even if Oilers lose the cup? Assuming he has an above average finals

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Why are people so against a player on the losing team getting the Smythe? If they deserve it and put up a good performance in the finals I don’t see the problem. It’s extremely rare anyways.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
If McDavid keeps his current pace and the Oilers lose he'll get the Smythe. If he's terrible, it means that Barkov+Forsling managed to contain him, so Barkov will get the credit for that and get the Smythe.

This is close to correct I think. If Oilers lose in 7 there's a chance for McDavid, anything closer won't do nowadays. If they lose overtime and no Florida players shine he could get there.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Why are people so against a player on the losing team getting the Smythe? If they deserve it and put up a good performance in the finals I don’t see the problem. It’s extremely rare anyways.
Not really against it, but it's pretty funny. Giguere had to hang around on the ice and wait for the Conn Smythe while the Devils continued to celebrate around him. Not only that, but getting booed for winning it. lol
At 2:08

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I'm an Oiler fan & there is absolutely no way a player from the losing team should ever win the Conn Smythe.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Even if you believe McDavid deserves it the most, Draisaitl has been too close to him to suggest a losing player should win. The only time a losing player should ever win is if they are the sole reason they even got there in the first place.

FWIW: JS Giguere was the only player I ever felt deserved the Conn Smythe in a losing effort. At least since I started watching hockey that is.

Edit:
Giguere's Goals-Saved-Above-Average (GSAA) that year is the highest I could find (18.8) for a losing goalie. I checked all the notable modern goalies, and a few old timers. I'm curious if it's the best all-time (in a losing effort), but am not willing to check every year, and am not sure what site lists it in that way before 2007.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Still think Bouchard should get it for Oilers, although McDavid will win it if Oilers win.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Call me biased but I prefer Drai for the Smythe. He took the team on his shoulders against the Canucks, after looking like he might be out of the series in game 1, and I will always cheer on a former Kelowna Rocket.

But, unless McDavid goes nuclear, he will not win the Smythe on a losing team. It would likely go to Barkov or Bobrovsky.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
I'm an Oiler fan & there is absolutely no way a player from the losing team should ever win the Conn Smythe.
I feel like the award was meant to be for the MVP of the winning team but they didn't specifically state it because they thought it would be obvious lol.

Yeah it doesn't make sense for a loser to get it.

Reactions: HockeyGuy1964

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Call me biased but I prefer Drai for the Smythe. He took the team on his shoulders against the Canucks, after looking like he might be out of the series in game 1, and I will always cheer on a former Kelowna Rocket.

But, unless McDavid goes nuclear, he will not win the Smythe on a losing team. It would likely go to Barkov or Bobrovsky.
As it should. Historically, only lights out goalies who carry teams that would otherwise not be there usually get losing team Conn Smythe’s.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Reminds me of when he won playoff MVP in the OHL despite losing. IIRC he left the trophy behind in the locker room.

Similar sentiment here. Just give it to a Panthers player. I doubt he’d care for it as a consolation prize.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
As I commented in The other Conn Smythe thread, the only way McDavid (or any other player) would win a Conn Smythe in a losing effort is if the game is tight on a second intermission of game 7 (when they cast the votes), the game goes overtime (the votes are recast at the end of regulation) - or Oilers hold a comfortable lead in the second intermission of game 7 and blow it in the third period (voting in second intermission under expectation that Oilers will win).

If the cup winner is known at the time of the vote (voting in Game 4, 5, or 6 or one team holding comfortable lead in second intermission of game 7), the Conn Smythe is going to a player in the winning team.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Draisaitl has been ice cold against Dallas. The laws of propability tell you that he most likely will have a monster series against Florida to level the average. Hence he will win.

Reactions: Macheteops

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Reminds me of when he won playoff MVP in the OHL despite losing. IIRC he left the trophy behind in the locker room.

Similar sentiment here. Just give it to a Panthers player. I doubt he’d care for it as a consolation prize.
He'd also would then be known as the only Skater (non-goalie, who were Hextall in 87 and Giggy in 2003) to win the Conn Smythe in a losing effort. He wouldn't think much of the trophy in the next 15 years, but maybe 20 odd years later he'd look back on it with a different perspective if that is the way it goes.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Draisaitl has no chance with ankers like Perry and McLeod on his line. Both were abysmal yesterday.
PP says hi.

If Draisaitl manages to get more points than McDavid and McDavid misses out on catching gretzky's assist record then it's all up in air no matter who wins the cup

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Not really against it, but it's pretty funny. Giguere had to hang around on the ice and wait for the Conn Smythe while the Devils continued to celebrate around him. Not only that, but getting booed for winning it. lol
At 2:08

I'm definitely for opposing team player receiving it if it's earned. Giguere definitely earned it that playoffs.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Not really. If Draisaitl gets more points and goals, why would McDavid deserve the Conn Smythe more? It’s a nice record but unless he really is above and beyond his teammates, he won’t be deserving.
Kessel deserved it over Crosby.
Kuznetsov deserved it over Ovechkin.

Voters love 'stories' more than anything else.

Reactions: Duke74

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He'd also would then be known as the only Skater (non-goalie, who were Hextall in 87 and Giggy in 2003) to win the Conn Smythe in a losing effort. He wouldn't think much of the trophy in the next 15 years, but maybe 20 odd years later he'd look back on it with a different perspective if that is the way it goes.

Reggie Leach won in a losing effort in ‘76. He’s the only skater to do so, so it’d be him and McDavid

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The thing is if Florida wins, and one particular player stands out (Bobrovsky or a skater with a lot of goals etc) then I could see a Panther winning. But if they beat edmonton and all the Florida stars are more or less equally good, I think McDavid or Draisaitl will go home with the Conn Smythe

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

It makes zero sense for a skater. You can’t be the most valuable player if you didn’t get your team the cup.

It makes a little sense for a goalie, who no matter how good can’t contribute on offense. A goalie can put on the game of his life and lose 1-0 in 5OT.

Reactions: elmaco
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad