GDT: Hurricanes @ Devils - 3:00 PM - MSGSN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You could have said something similar after last game too, though.

I agree that who knows because Okhotiuk outplayed Bahl overall while Bahl sat when he was playing better and outplayed Smith early on.

That said Bahl wasn’t on the ice for a GA last game and they were both on the ice for one in the second Boston game.

Ruff only played Okhotiuk only 5:55 against the Pens after playing him 14:03 on in the 1st Boston game and 16:01 in the 2nd one.

Bahl played 7:09 vs the Pens, 8:13 in the 1st Boston game and 12:06 in the 2nd. Not sure why that got him 12:48 vs the Canes but I think his game gets him a seat.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I never liked Cory. I think the team’s D during that time period was a bit underrated and his good looking stat line was largely a byproduct of that. It felt like he gave up at least one soft wrister from the wing on an even-man rush every game. He rarely stepped up on the rare occasions when he got run support or the team was better like in the middle portion of 2017-18. That squad didn’t get back on track again until he got hurt and Kinkiad came in and went on a heater.

Both he and Blackwood look like guys who have just never had the mental focus and fortitude to help their team win games at the NHL level consistently.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I never liked Cory. I think the team’s D during that time period was a bit underrated and his good looking stat line was largely a byproduct of that. It felt like he gave up at least one soft wrister from the wing on an even-man rush every game. He rarely stepped up on the rare occasions when he got run support or the team was better like in the middle portion of 2017-18. That squad didn’t get back on track again until he got hurt and Kinkiad came in and went on a heater.

Both he and Blackwood look like guys who have just never had the mental focus and fortitude to help their team win games at the NHL level consistently.

And this is also a ridiculous take. Schneider was the only thing that kept those teams out of the bottom five, all three great years he had here. It's frankly insulting to Cory Schneider to question his mental focus and fortitude - a goalie who should've been celebrated as one of the top goaltenders in the league, except that he had the misfortune of backing up one of the best in the league for several years, and then being traded to a franchise that was about to immediately enter the toilet, who played like the Buffalo Sabres offense when he was in net for his first season here.

Schneider was 55-26-8 as a Canuck, but yeah the guy just didn't have what it takes. GTFO

Camille the Eel

You're not wrong. They regressed to the way they started the season and it had much to do with our neutral zone decisions, physical play, and teams taking away our transition passes... All of which made some players grip sticks and others disappear.

But there's signs we are back.

One noticable thing about this game was a complete lack of the redass we've had about Nico getting destroyed.
The quality of our opposition also got a lot tougher during this last stretch of play. Injuries also became a factor. Much rather be playing today with a healthy Marino and Graves. But the schedule really has been a factor. And, as indicated, we’ve started losing the games that go beyond regulation. Like maybe 4 straight now in extra time and shoot outs. If we win that game today in OT, I guarantee you the entire tone and focus of this thread are different and folks are even a lot more indulgent about our goal tending.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
3 out of 4 points against Pitt and Car is perfect. Do the same the next 2 games.

This is absolutely the right way to look at it. I think the way we lost just leaves a sour taste in my mouth tonight. We didn’t even get a chance to play with that lead, it turned into an absolute gong show PK in that final stretch.

Gah. Take the point and move on I suppose.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
And this is also a ridiculous take. Schneider was the only thing that kept those teams out of the bottom five, all three great years he had here. It's frankly insulting to Cory Schneider to question his mental focus and fortitude - a goalie who should've been celebrated as one of the top goaltenders in the league, except that he had the misfortune of backing up one of the best in the league for several years, and then being traded to a franchise that was about to immediately enter the toilet.
You can call it ridiculous that’s fine. I don’t take stats to be the end all be all of everything. I watch every minute of every game. I watch other games around the league. And I have no reason to randomly hate on a particular guy who played for us, other than being displeased with what I see from him specifically on the ice.

There were plenty of times when he folded like a cheap suit on the rare times when the team scored, and when the team in front of him was improved. Cory literally was at best a JAG goalie during the season this team last went to the playoffs, before he got hurt and then completely went to total shit.

Louskoolaid89

Let's Go!!!
Oct 14, 2017
Cory was very good on teams that couldn’t score in a whore house

His first 3 seasons he went

1.97/.921
2.26/.925
2.15/.924

Those are tremendous numbers
Right if hewas allowing chronic bad goals. He should have had about a .948. So he probably wasn't as bad a precived by some.

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You can call it ridiculous that’s fine. I don’t take stats to be the end all be all of everything. I watch every minute of every game. I watch other games around the league. And I have no reason to randomly hate on a particular guy who played for us, other than being displeased with what I see from him specifically on the ice.

There were plenty of times when he folded like a cheap suit on the rare times when the team scored, and when the team in front of him was improved. Cory literally was at best a JAG goalie during the season this team last went to the playoffs, before he got hurt and then completely went to total shit.

You claim that the defense made him better, and yet why couldn't Brodeur or Hedberg put up numbers anywhere close to what he was doing? Kinkaid's numbers were also significantly worse in the two good Cory years (combined).

Yes, Schneider was shot by the time the Devils went to the playoffs in 2018, he had gotten injured the year before and was never the same goalie. Between 2011 and 2016 he was a top five goaltender and never got the opportunity to prove it, and his reward for playing behind shit teams is to be slagged by guys like you who compare him to MacKenzie f-ing Blackwood and question his mental focus. His mental focus! Knowing that his shitty team is likely to score 2 or fewer goals for him and that he has to be the difference.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
This is absolutely the right way to look at it. I think the way we lost just leaves a sour taste in my mouth tonight. We didn’t even get a chance to play with that lead, it turned into an absolute gong show PK in that final stretch.

Gah. Take the point and move on I suppose.
Yea it blows when you take the lead late and the job doesn’t get finished. And I f***ing hate the shootout

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
You claim that the defense made him better, and yet why couldn't Brodeur or Hedberg put up numbers anywhere close to what he was doing? Kinkaid's numbers were also significantly worse in the two good Cory years (combined).

Yes, Schneider was shot by the time the Devils went to the playoffs in 2018, he had gotten injured the year before and was never the same goalie. Between 2011 and 2016 he was a top five goaltender and never got the opportunity to prove it, and his reward for playing behind shit teams is to be slagged by guys like you who compare him to MacKenzie f-ing Blackwood and question his mental focus. His mental focus! Knowing that his shitty team is likely to score 2 or fewer goals for him and that he has to be the difference.
Because those other goalies were even worse than him? And what’s that really mean anyway? The team in front of those other guys also scored more goals than when Cory was in net. I’m gonna go out in a limb and say you would dismiss that as randomness.

I’m mot saying Cory was the worst goalie in the league. I just don’t believe for one second he played like a top five goalie just because of his stats. I watched nearly every second of that dude’s career with us. I can’t think of many moments when he came through big on his own.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
7 straight home losses is unacceptable, needs to end Thursday
Yeah that's the main thing that's annoying about this game. Losing a skills competition in a vaccum to Carolina isn't annoying, but they really have to start putting the wood to people at home again. Unless you think they're gonna win 80% of their games on the road all year and can survive 50-50 (or worse) at home.

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

Louskoolaid89

Let's Go!!!
Oct 14, 2017
Because those other goalies were even worse than him? And what’s that really mean anyway? The team in front of those other guys also scored more goals than when Cory was in net. I’m gonna go out in a limb and say you would dismiss that as randomness.

I’m mot saying Cory was the worst goalie in the league. I just don’t believe for one second he played like a top five goalie just because of his stats. I watched nearly every second of that dude’s career with us. I can’t think of many moments when he came through big on his own.
I can think of many more moments when we couldn't score a frigging goal for him!

Cory has no bearing on this game.

Time to drop it
You might be right!

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Detroit is going to be a very tough game. It’s getting to the point where they all are.
Yup. Teams like Buffalo , Ottawa , Detroit , are all playing good hockey right nkw .
About the only “crap” teams are SJ , Anaheim , Chicago , Coyotes , Columbus , Philly

Everyone else is capable of beating anyone right now really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad