GDT: Hurricanes @ Devils - 3:00 PM - MSGSN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Outside of your golden SV%, there's absolutely nothing to back this statement up.

He looked wonderful in his frantic scrambly no- rebound-control play, but he was legit garbage. What Blackwood did tonight (bad puck handle, lose in the shootout) was Cory's MO for like twenty games so idk wtf you are talking about and neither do you.
Schneider was horrific in the shootout, even when he was still good. Pre-decline era.

His puck handling was always BAD, even in pre decline era.

But Schneider was an amazing goaltender, until his hip and groin problems started. His downfall started the season right after he got core muscle surgery, which was really the beginning of his hip problems that were diagnosed early on as a groin issue. Which is not uncommon in the early stages of a hip injury to be chalked up to ''Just a groin issue''.

And yes, he had some MISERABLE stretches worse than some of Blackwood's in his final two or even three years here, starting with the 2018 calendar year part of 17-18 and his death spiral ending to the season (before redeeming himself in the playoff series, mind you) and then his horrid start to both the 18-19 and 19-20 seasons, which got him rightfully waived in 19-20.

I don't know what your issue was with him, the guy was a very good goalie until he wasn't anymore and his hip failed him.

I'd be willing to bet he's no worse of a goalie at almost 37 years old right now than Blackwood currently is.

But it's not like we'd ever know, as he wasn't under contract to play here this year, as his original contract was up after last year.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I agree I live in Toronto and the reason why that team has been so unsuccessful is the fans all over the players. Way too much pressure. When a player has been injury prone or struggles they get attacked.
I don’t like it and as a fan I try to support that player until I know for sure they are not going to be what they were.
Mack still has a chance and played behind a terrible team prior to this year. He and VV started off bad. And the mack got injuried and the team went on a hot streak and that wasn’t because mack was injured. VV had some good games but he wasn’t the reason the team was winning. Every player was on fire. If Mack wasnt injured during that run he would have better numbers.

Toronto is one of the most successful teams in the league, what are you talking about?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
This game was less frustrating on some level because the Devils get a point they didn’t deserve but more frustrating because they really struggled to connect as a 5 man unit for much of the game.

Even in some of the better games in the last while the team is getting isolated at times. I think it’s probably a bit of staleness in system; team still looks like it needs to adjust to changes other teams made when they gameplan for the Devils.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
2 days to recoup, heal and get ready for the game against Detroit. I like our position right now after 2 solid games against Boston and 3 points out of a possible 4.

ya, just checked the standings... there's still a bit of space from the teams below and a games in hand but really, need to get back to stringing together some wins

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
This is such a terrible take and if expect that from you.

Anyone who watched the games saw terribad play all over the ice during this losing streak. We got knocked around, became a perimeter team, especially our skill guys, and basically abandoned the style of play we had adopted from game four onward.

Your oversimplified analysis is laughable to anyone with eyes and the sense to use them.
The Devils were not playing "terribad" during the losing streak, what the heck are you talking about? These last two games have been more poorly executed than any of the previous ones and they wound up getting 3 out of 4 points.

I think they are lucky to have gotten the point today. But there were several games during the streak when they deserved more than 0 points. That's just how it goes sometimes.

The fact that they can still play tight one goal games against the best teams in the league even when they aren't playing great is something everyone should feel positive about.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
You would think all this pressure you are talking about would manifest during the regular season, but it hasn't - the team just keeps humming along.
Regular season means nothing. And leaf fans all talk about that. It’s to the point that most leaf fans could care less how they do In the regular season this year.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Schneider was horrific in the shootout, even when he was still good. Pre-decline era.

His puck handling was always BAD, even in pre decline era.

But Schneider was an amazing goaltender, until his hip and groin problems started. His downfall started the season right after he got core muscle surgery, which was really the beginning of his hip problems that were diagnosed early on as a groin issue. Which is not uncommon in the early stages of a hip injury to be chalked up to ''Just a groin issue''.

And yes, he had some MISERABLE stretches worse than some of Blackwood's in his final two or even three years here, starting with the 2018 calendar year part of 17-18 and his death spiral ending to the season (before redeeming himself in the playoff series, mind you) and then his horrid start to both the 18-19 and 19-20 seasons, which got him rightfully waived in 19-20.

I don't know what your issue was with him, the guy was a very good goalie until he wasn't anymore and his hip failed him.

I'd be willing to bet he's no worse of a goalie at almost 37 years old right now than Blackwood currently is.

But it's not like we'd ever know, as he wasn't under contract to play here this year, as his original contract was up after last year.

Hardly man. There was no one more vocally in favor of the Cory trade than me. I thought we had a franchise goaltender. It took about ten games to see that he was technically magnificent and complete trash in every other aspect. I'm surprised no one has brought up the comparison to Blackwood, bc both he and Cory were identical in that the players knew that they couldn't win with either one. His bad play preceded any injury. He never controlled rebounds, he couldn't stop play when he needed to, and his IQ in reading the play was awful.

Like you agreed:. His puck handling and shootout was alone to lose the team in front of him. He was just a loser. Just like Blackwood, and he already was what he was in Vancouver.

The Devils were not playing "terribad" during the losing streak, what the heck are you talking about? These last two games have been more poorly executed than any of the previous ones and they wound up getting 3 out of 4 points.

I think they are lucky to have gotten the point today. But there were several games during the streak when they deserved more than 0 points. That's just how it goes sometimes.

The fact that they can still play tight one goal games against the best teams in the league even when they aren't playing great is something everyone should feel positive about.
And I have post after post extolling that fact that we should be happy today, man.

But you're way off saying we were on our game the past 15 or so. Play was markedly different and you could see it in our passing alone.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I agree I live in Toronto and the reason why that team has been so unsuccessful is the fans all over the players. Way too much pressure. When a player has been injury prone or struggles they get attacked.
I don’t like it and as a fan I try to support that player until I know for sure they are not going to be what they were.
Mack still has a chance and played behind a terrible team prior to this year. He and VV started off bad. And the mack got injuried and the team went on a hot streak and that wasn’t because mack was injured. VV had some good games but he wasn’t the reason the team was winning. Every player was on fire. If Mack wasnt injured during that run he would have better numbers.
Because they've really had lots of goalies as bad as Blackwood lately. I guess Kallgren, but he's merely a call up.

You got one in Mrazek recently, that was a horrible whiff by Dubas to give him 3 years. He's played well nowhere since 2016 other than Carolina and he even had a mediocre season once there too.

I mean, they did have a bunch going, but probably not since Gustavsson. The end of Bernier wasn't great, but he still wasn't horrendous. They had some points with Toskala and Gustavsson, but this is all going back a decade or even more than a decade with Toskala. And who can forget the failure that was Rask for Andrew Raycroft? That's over 15 years at this point.

Andersen was this bad for much shorter and they let him walk. And then Campbell was this bad for a few months and they let him walk. That's looking like a pretty good decision right now. Andersen bounced back in (where else? You guessed it! Carolina! Where Antti Raanta's cremains look respectable!) but he's old and gets hurt too much.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
@Devs3cups

What were the expected goals for and against today?

I'm gonna guess our expected was less than 4, probably less than 3 even. Raanta stunk.

I'm curious as to what our expected against was.

We gave up 40+ shots, but I thought they weren't really dangerous, until 3 on 3.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Because they've really had lots of goalies as bad as Blackwood lately. I guess Kallgren, but he's merely a call up.

You got one in Mrazek recently, that was a horrible whiff by Dubas to give him 3 years. He's played well nowhere since 2016 other than Carolina and he even had a mediocre season once there too.

I mean, they did have a bunch going, but probably not since Gustavsson. The end of Bernier wasn't great, but he still wasn't horrendous. They had some points with Toskala and Gustavsson, but this is all going back a decade or even more than a decade with Toskala. And who can forget the failure that was Rask for Andrew Raycroft? That's over 15 years at this point.

Andersen was this bad for much shorter and they let him walk. And then Campbell was this bad for a few months and they let him walk. That's looking like a pretty good decision right now. Andersen bounced back in (where else? You guessed it! Carolina! Where Antti Raanta's cremains look respectable!) but he's old and gets hurt too much.
All situations:

xGF: 2.38
xGA: 4.02

Louskoolaid89

Let's Go!!!
Oct 14, 2017
Hardly man. There was no one more vocally in favor of the Cory trade than me. I thought we had a franchise goaltender. It took about ten games to see that he was technically magnificent and complete trash in every other aspect. I'm surprised no one has brought up the comparison to Blackwood, bc both he and Cory were identical in that the players knew that they couldn't win with either one. His bad play preceded any injury. He never controlled rebounds, he couldn't stop play when he needed to, and his IQ in reading the play was awful.

Like you agreed:. His puck handling and shootout was alone to lose the team in front of him. He was just a loser. Just like Blackwood, and he already was what he was in Vancouver.

And I have post after post extolling that fact that we should be happy today, man.

But you're way off saying we were on our game the past 15 or so. Play was markedly different and you could see it in our passing alone.
You put CS in his prime with Chicago he's as much of a hero as Corey Crawford who wasn't the most perfect goalie out there. When we had the best of Schneider we couldn't score in a whore house with a suitcase of 100 dollar bills. He was never an issue only an asset until the hip injury and second half of 2018. Then an absolute horror show.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
All situations:

xGF: 2.38
xGA: 4.02
So Blackwood obviously slightly better than breaking even?

But with the 65 minute game, is that only for 60 minutes or is that for all 65?

What I mean is that is that calculated based on the entire game or just per 60? Like how Blackwood would have a sub-4 GAA today due to the 65 minute game and not 60 minute game.

Reactions: My3Sons

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
You put CS in his prime with Chicago he's as much of a hero as Corey Crawford who wasn't the most perfect goalie out there. When we had the best of Schneider we couldn't score in a whore house with a suitcase of 100 dollar bills. He was never an issue only an asset until the hip injury and second half of 2018. Then an absolute horror show.
That's revisionist. The negative impact his play has on his team's confidence showed up the moment he got here and sparked the Marty/Cory debates.

You're entitled to your opinion, but he was just angles, reflexes and athleticism, and once the last part was gone he went from bad to abyssmal.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
So Blackwood obviously slightly better than breaking even?

But with the 65 minute game, is that only for 60 minutes or is that for all 65?

What I mean is that is that calculated based on the entire game or just per 60? Like how Blackwood would have a sub-4 GAA today due to the 65 minute game and not 60 minute game.
It’s the whole 65 mins!

I just hope Nico is 100%. Was really concerned he missed almost all of the OT.

Credit to the defense as a whole, they had to sell out for a lot of blocked shots today.
I’d be more concerned if he didn’t play in OT. If it was that bad he wouldn’t have.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That's revisionist. The negative impact his play has on his team's confidence showed up the moment he got here and sparked the Marty/Cory debates.

You're entitled to your opinion, but he was just angles, reflexes and athleticism, and once the last part was gone he went from bad to abyssmal.

God, it's so funny how wrong you are about all of this.

Louskoolaid89

Let's Go!!!
Oct 14, 2017

That and he never did prove himself under big pressure. Not like he ever had the chance we we're a shell of our dynasty teams when he got here. If anything he played well enough to keep us away from McDavid and Matthews. Kinda hate him for that!:laugh:

Reactions: billingtons ghost

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Im not saying they were playing just as well as during the streak. But you're saying it was “terribad” and “markedly different”. Some things have been an bit off compared to their peak at the start of the season. You’re exaggerating the extent of the drop off, and it seems the primary impetus for this is the fact that they’ve wound up on the wrong side of several one goal games. That’s no better than the fundamentalists who believe analytics are infallible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad