Confirmed with Link: Hronek traded to Vancouver for ‘23 1st (NYI) and ‘23 2nd (VAN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Pretty clear now that playoffs at all cost is not the goal this year. In fact, it may not be a goal at all anymore.

Yzerman’s decisions have very little to do with the team’s goals. The trade didn’t take away 10 points in the standings. If the team wants to make the playoffs this year, it’s on them to figure it out. But Yzerman has to maximize the opportunities down the road, not this year.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Yzerman’s decisions have very little to do with the team’s goals. The trade didn’t take away 10 points in the standings. If the team wants to make the playoffs this year, it’s on them to figure it out. But Yzerman has to maximize the opportunities down the road, not this year.
For real, a general manager´s decisions have little to do with the team´s goals? What is he the general manager of, the neighborhood restaurant? Is a GM hired to manage the future only, not the present. News to me.

Older Wings fans have had way more good times than bad.
yes, but we want more. ;)

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I couldn't agree more. Especially for D, it takes a very long time which I why personally, I prize intelligence, poise and patience on the blue line. Coincidentally, that made the Holland Era D Prospects EXTREMELY PAINFUL to watch. AlJo is a smart player. He's not all adrenaline and hyper aggressive, chasing people and pucks. He takes his time, he makes the simple play and doesn't try to force the issue, he makes the right choices and knows when to push the tempo and pace to take advantage and when to sit back and let the game come to him. THAT is very Seider-esque.

Its why in the offseason I wrote that I thought AlJo would get the call before Ed, because he was just that much more polished (despite the obvious differences in their physical talents), because, as you said, defense is hard for rookies.

SY needs to hit on one more RD in the draft. Sweeney hit on McAvoy and Carlo and it turned Boston's D Corp from old and slow to good and mobile in a matter of 2 years. Granted having Bergeron and Chara around accelerated their growth, but they were still talented when taken at 18. Carlo made the NHL as a regular at 19 and McAvoy at 19 in the 2016-17 season. SY needs to add his equivalent of Carlo in this draft, very doable.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
SY needs to hit on one more RD in the draft. Sweeney hit on McAvoy and Carlo and it turned Boston's D Corp from old and slow to good and mobile in a matter of 2 years. Granted having Bergeron and Chara around accelerated their growth, but they were still talented when taken at 18. Carlo made the NHL as a regular at 19 and McAvoy at 19 in the 2016-17 season. SY needs to add his equivalent of Carlo in this draft, very doable.
We have our own Carlo in Moritz Seider.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
It took longer than I thought, but I feel like we kinda knew Hronek wasn't an Yzerman guy. At least not as a building block.

Pretty surprised it still happened at this deadline, but that's because we don't know what the plan is yet. Hronek wasn't on any trade deadline lists that I recall, so I guess we don't really know who is available at all times.

as boring as the Wings near total lack of leaks under Yzerman can be it does sometimes lead to moments like this where it feels like things come totally out of nowhere

I still don't think it's quite worth it purely from an entertainment standpoint but it does allow for surprises in a way most organizations don't

Last edited:

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
BOOM "Bah gawd, that's Steve Yzerman's music!"

What a way to start a new day, i woke up 6 am and the first i thing i though was to check what kind of trades there has been during the night. I opened eliteprospects on my phone and i saw Hronek trending, first thing i though that he was re-signed as well. But then i see Filip Hronek, Detroit Red Wings -> Vancouver Canucks. Boom, what a shock, literally out of no where.

Hronek never was the type of D-man what Yzerman likes, but i really though that Hronek has proved himself to Yzerman and that he was part of the new core. And Yzerman did fill the rest of the spots with his type of D-men.

Larkin, Ras and Bergy might end up being the last Holland-era Mohicans.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
We have our own Carlo in Moritz Seider.

Seider is categorically better than Carlo and equates to McAvoy. You have your #1 pick
in Edvinnson who may or may not equate to Carlo. Wings have enough picks to try to ID
a Carlo shutdown guy and still spend picks on centers.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Some of us are not getting any younger and are not willing or able to wait for this 30-year rebuild to be over.
Hundreds of thousands of Wings fans died in the many years between the last Original Six Cup in 1955 and the spring of 1997. The reality of it is that you can't count on sports teams lifting your spirits or providing you with happiness, just ask Leafs fans, or a little closer to home here, Lions fans.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Yes!!!! The final nail in the 'could have had Chychrun' saga. We finally get to redo Holland's Cholowski pick. Nice work Yzerman.

This is such an awesome sign that we are still in the rebuild mode. All the playoff talks this season were nonsense. Patience, this is shaping up. I know its slow but this is the right course.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Some of us are not getting any younger and are not willing or able to wait for this 30-year rebuild to be over.

Holland didn't just leave a bad team, he left one of the worst rosters in NHL history. Its not going to take 30 years but it is going to take years. I am pretty impressed with where Yzerman has taken it so far. We have 2 first round picks now in both the next 2 drafts and Yzerman has a good drafting record so far. I realize its hurting to see our best players moving but I hope it can be seen its for the right reasons.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Thank god for that. We've been through enough of Holland mortgaging the Wings future to be first round playoff fodder.
I´m just not on the tank crowd, as is well know here. I would like my team to at least try to be competitive.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Holland didn't just leave a bad team, he left one of the worst rosters in NHL history. Its not going to take 30 years but it is going to take years. I am pretty impressed with where Yzerman has taken it so far. We have 2 first round picks now in both the next 2 drafts and Yzerman has a good drafting record so far. I realize its hurting to see our best players moving but I hope it can be seen its for the right reasons.
Those picks still have to translate to something. I will never be convinced that THE way to improve your team is to get rid of some of your best players in order to MAYBE, a big maybe get something as good or better in the distant future.

Hundreds of thousands of Wings fans died in the many years between the last Original Six Cup in 1955 and the spring of 1997. The reality of it is that you can't count on sports teams lifting your spirits or providing you with happiness, just ask Leafs fans, or a little closer to home here, Lions fans.
I have other things to lift my spirits, trust me. But liking your team winning is part of being a sports fan, ins´t it?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I´m just not on the tank crowd, as is well know here. I would like my team to at least try to be competitive.
Seems like you should be happy then because that's exactly what they're doing.

They're just trying to be competitive for more than the next 20 games at the expense of the seasons after that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Why did the Red Wings trade Hronek?​

We have yet to hear from general manager Steve Yzerman, but the most logical answer would have something to do with Hronek’s breakout year and it’s timing with relation to his contract. Hronek has exploded for nine goals and 38 points in 60 games this season, with one year remaining on his current contract at a $4.4 million AAV. That production will give him grounds for a substantial raise.

If the Red Wings did not want to be the ones to pay that raise, then moving him now makes sense, especially for a return that includes both a first and second round pick. The first-rounder is the same pick Vancouver got from the Islanders in the Horvat trade, and is top-12 protected, but there is now potential for Detroit to have two picks in the top 20 of this draft. — Bultman
Here I am worried if we are going to end up with enough good players to have to pay legit $ to, and we trade a guy so we don't have to give him a raise?

I don't know... I don't really like that mentality.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Seems like you should be happy then because that's exactly what they're doing.

They're just trying to be competitive for more than the next 20 games at the expense of the seasons after that.
so maybe I should stop following this team until, say, 2030?

Reactions: norrisnick

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Why can't left-handed defensemen play on the right? They have for the first 100 years of NHL history. Suddenly now it's imperative to have a right-handed shot playing RD. What about Bourque, Orr, Harvey, Pronger, etc?

I'd rather have a right handed winger or center for one-timers from the slot on the PP. Especially if Perron is moved.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Thank god for that. We've been through enough of Holland mortgaging the Wings future to be first round playoff fodder.
I get where you are coming from, but....

I am having a hard time being happy about having more lottery tickets when I just see more holes on the roster to fill.

Although folks on here have always loved the mystery box over the known quantity.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I get where you are coming from, but....

I am having a hard time being happy about having more lottery tickets when I just see more holes on the roster to fill.

Although folks on here have always loved the mystery box over the known quantity.

Hronek being gone is really the only surprise. I'm bummed about Bert but we knew negotiations weren't going anywhere and he could be gone. I see that move more as getting something for him rather than lose him for nothing as a UFA, not so much a "get rid of Bert for the rebuild."

Like I said before, the Hronek move is a surprise to me. I don't know that Yzerman will do anything before tomorrow but it definitely puts more pressure on the off season to fill those holes.

so maybe I should stop following this team until, say, 2030?
If that's what you want, you do you. But you're talking to someone who started following the team in the Dead Wings era.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Hronek being gone is really the only surprise. I'm bummed about Bert but we knew negotiations weren't going anywhere and he could be gone. I see that move more as getting something for him rather than lose him for nothing as a UFA, not so much a "get rid of Bert for the rebuild."

Like I said before, the Hronek move is a surprise to me. I don't know that Yzerman will do anything before tomorrow but it definitely puts more pressure on the off season to fill those holes.

If that's what you want, you do you. But you're talking to someone who started following the team in the Dead Wings era.
So did I (the dead wings). I admire your optimism.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad