Confirmed with Link: Hronek traded to Vancouver for ‘23 1st (NYI) and ‘23 2nd (VAN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Don’t mind the trade, honestly, but replaceable is a pretty generous word when we’ve drafted one defenseman better than him since Kronwall.
Well thats kenny for u.... drafting is not the whole process. Development is key. Kenny was average (now thats generous) at both. Im excited about our development under Stevie as much as him drafting. We can move on from hronek. Like i said we would have to pay this jobber and his current aav is the most id want to pay him.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
My second thought is we just trade guy that had similar numbers Edvinsson have same age. It is conditional first round, top 12 protected. What the best scenario for us ? NY getting 13-15 pick, because I don't want to wait till next year.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020

Why did the Red Wings trade Hronek?​

We have yet to hear from general manager Steve Yzerman, but the most logical answer would have something to do with Hronek’s breakout year and it’s timing with relation to his contract. Hronek has exploded for nine goals and 38 points in 60 games this season, with one year remaining on his current contract at a $4.4 million AAV. That production will give him grounds for a substantial raise.

If the Red Wings did not want to be the ones to pay that raise, then moving him now makes sense, especially for a return that includes both a first and second round pick. The first-rounder is the same pick Vancouver got from the Islanders in the Horvat trade, and is top-12 protected, but there is now potential for Detroit to have two picks in the top 20 of this draft. — Bultman
I am ok with the trade, love the return, but personally always loved the player. Not great defensively, but feisty and hard working and leaning offensive, really liked his game!!!

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Definitely gotta root against NYI now.
They are 14th worst in points percentage. If they end up 12th or worst then the pick bumps to 24 depending upon how the lottery shakes out.

If you want a 23 pick you want them to stay pretty much exactly where they are.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I think this was a good trade for both teams, I think there is value in trading for Hronek, especially being only 25 and an RFA. I also can see why Yzerman moved him, they want to make room for next years crowded blue line and they can do it now from a position of strength. I would also not be surprised if this portends a larger move
I hate losing hronek, but I love the return. And if you question the trade, the bigger trade is what the F*&%# is Vancouver doing 🫢🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Indiana

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
My problem with this Hronek trade, unless Yzerman is making a bigger move between now and next season to replace him, is that we are getting futures that won't be ready for anywhere up to 1-5 years from now. We also got rid of a legit NHL defender of which we have 2 right now that are actually playing well. Even if Ed and AlJo are up next year they are going to take time and not even guaranteed to be regulars, which means we will be weak on the blueline again, and there aren't many more good D prospects in our system after those 2. That makes it seem like we intend on being even worse next year than this year, which makes the Copp and Perron signings seem weird to me.

If we had traded Hronek for someone Steve and co. like better that is already a good defender I would feel different. There aren't alot of good UFAs on D that will be available and how many good NHL defenders that we might want are actually available?
Are you forgetting about Wallinder who is easily arguably a better prospect then AlJo currently?

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Just like when we got rid of Mantha I have no sad feelings with Hronek leaving. Swear dude could never hit the net. Sure he was having a good year, but he just always seemed to irritate me more with his play more than anything.
I do do!!! Sader than Martha. Hronek cared, played with hart and tried to play the right way, just not always big enough. Still love the return.
But the bigger question Vancouver???? What are the doing/thinking m????

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Vancouver has had a rough year and they just moved Horvat, but they have a really young team where Hronek fits in pretty well age wise on a blueline that sorely lacks good players - especially after dealing Schenn. I can see why he would be appealing to them as they attempt to reconfigure their lineup. And I doubt they are done making moves before next season starts.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He is 6'6 and 230 pounds but the Blues would have to retain at least 50% of his salary. He has just signed a 7 year contract with the Blues. 29 years old.

No they wouldn't. Maybe Yzerman pushes for some retention but it isn't necessary, and the term isn't a killer. It just depends how Yzerman projects Paraylko going forward. Think of how stabilizing J-Bo was to that St. Louis blueline when he was there, or how McDonugh shouldered the load behind Hedman. If the wings think he can come in and do that behind Seider, he's worth that contract.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Pretty clear now that playoffs at all cost is not the goal this year. In fact, it may not be a goal at all anymore.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I understand that people get upset when the team trades a player they like to follow. However, this trade is a big overpayment for a player who didn't figure into the long term plans. Seider. Edvinsson, and Wallinder are the future defensive core for this team. The Wings greatly outperformed their roster so far this year. Unfortunately, this gives fans unrealistic expectations for where the team is truly is at in the rebuild. Bertuzzi is next.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
I understand that people get upset when the team trades a player they like to follow. However, this trade is a big overpayment for a player who didn't figure into the long term plans. Seider. Edvinsson, and Wallinder are the future defensive core for this team. The Wings greatly outperformed their roster so far this year. Unfortunately, this gives fans unrealistic expectations for where the team is truly is at in the rebuild. Bertuzzi is next.
Some of us are not getting any younger and are not willing or able to wait for this 30-year rebuild to be over.

• Haha
Reactions: redwings8831

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Some of us are not getting any younger and are not willing or able to wait for this 30-year rebuild to be over.
Yzerman has been here just under 4 years. And while he certainly has not been free of mistakes, the roster and the prospect pipeline are both better than when he took over.

Hang in there a few more months. If there's nothing exciting that develops this week, or at the draft, or in free agency, and it still looks like the playoffs are nowhere in sight, then feel free to grab a pitchfork.

But I think we're in for some very pleasant surprises.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupNazi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad