Confirmed with Link: Hronek traded to Vancouver for ‘23 1st (NYI) and ‘23 2nd (VAN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The Red Wings had not one, but two games where they could have made a statement. They fell flat on their faces, twice, and thus they should not be surprised at the result.

The players are professionals. These aren’t throwaway games out in Rochester, these games matter.
That and this week Yzerman has handed out 3 extensions to quality contributors. It's easy to do the math.

I mean sure. You aren’t wrong, but in today’s soft society I could see a loss of faith and trust in an organization who sells important pieces while you sit a few points out of a playoff spot with over 20 games to play.
Losing faith and trust in an organization is nothing new to pro sports. It has always been up to management/coaching to control that message to the room.

Reactions: ArGarBarGar

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
"The Ottawa Senators are too tough, what are we going to do!?"

order66-star-wars.gif

Steve going hard.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
What an odd coincidence that Holland trades with Arizona allowing Arizona to select Chychrun, and gets Hronek as a consolation prize, then they both get traded on the same day for a very similar return (Arizona getting an extra 2nd three years from now is some delayed gratification, for sure).

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Do people really think GMs make decision based on a few games good bad or indifferent? I really doubt it. If they did, then you would constantly be moving guys based on very small sample sizes and reacting from emotion rather than sense. I don't think any of Yzerman's moves had anything to do with 2 losses to Ottawa.

Reactions: PajamaBoy and izlez

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I mean sure. You aren’t wrong, but in today’s soft society I could see a loss of faith and trust in an organization who sells important pieces while you sit a few points out of a playoff spot with over 20 games to play.

Crazy enough, some guys in that room still believe they aren’t out of it. Some of them want to push for a chance at Lord Stanley. Easy for us to sit on the sidelines and say they aren’t ready, and we’re probably right. But those players didn’t necessarily believe it was over.
Today’s soft society?

I would argue the process to make it to the NHL is more cutthroat that it has ever been.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
That is where I beg to differ. I do not believe Hronek is an important piece on a playoff competitive team. He has overachieved during a rebuild, but not a cornerstone. Yzerman and Draper are drafting players with grit who can withstand the toll of the playoffs, while also exacting a toll from the other teams players. Hronek is a defensive liability waiting to happen.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Do people really think GMs make decision based on a few games good bad or indifferent? I really doubt it. If they did, then you would constantly be moving guys based on very small sample sizes and reacting from emotion rather than sense. I don't think any of Yzerman's moves had anything to do with 2 losses to Ottawa.
I think select moments in a season can absolutely swing a decision one way or the other.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

Crazy enough, some guys in that room still believe they aren’t out of it. Some of them want to push for a chance at Lord Stanley. Easy for us to sit on the sidelines and say they aren’t ready, and we’re probably right. But those players didn’t necessarily believe it was over.
Yzerman seems pretty straightforward and some might say cuthroat in his moves as GM.

I know we're all happy to be floating around a playoff spot but it's not like this team is that close to being competitive. The Wings are what, 22nd overall in standings? And there's 5 other teams competing for that spot, all arguably with more talented rosters.

If a player is going to be part of this team going forward, I'd hope they realize that while it stinks trading Hronek for these last 20 games, it's to try and make the team competitive for years to come.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Someone clarify something for me - the NYI pick is protected but that’s VANs stipulation, so they have the right to hold on to it this year, but will have to compensate with their 2024 1st? Is that correct?

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I don't get this trade at all. 1st is nice but Hronek is far from the biggest problem on this team, now or going forward.
You trade players when other teams are willing to greatly overpay what they are currently (and future) worth to the team.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I mean sure. You aren’t wrong, but in today’s soft society I could see a loss of faith and trust in an organization who sells important pieces while you sit a few points out of a playoff spot (with over 20 games to play).

This was a fringe team to begin with. Have they overachieved this year? Sure.

But nothing should be off limits. Especially if another team is going to overpay.

Shitting the bed in back to back games versus Ottawa doesn't help their case if players want to gripe.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Usually, no, with less than a week to go before TDL, absofreakinglutely.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Someone clarify something for me - the NYI pick is protected but that’s VANs stipulation, so they have the right to hold on to it this year, but will have to compensate with their 2024 1st? Is that correct?
Pretty sure it's NYI's pick either way. The Condition moves with it.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

that whole top 12 thing is actually a condition from the Horvat trade, if it's in the top 12 the Canucks don't even have the Islanders first this year to trade since it switches to next year

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
Hey I’m just highlighting the side to this where they aren’t out of contention. Well, now the message from the top is “yes we are”.

While I think Ottawa looked like the better team (at home), the refs still completely changed the momentum and script of those games. I’m not suggesting the Red Wings deserved to win either, but if you actually watched the games you could feel the deflation with each poor call.

It was also like 4 games in 6 nights or whatever for Detroit. If they ran it back in Detroit for two games I think we’d see a huge pushback and momentum shift.

Let me ask you this. How do you feel the Sens players would respond if their GM sold after this back-to-back effort? One in which their coach probably preached these being playoff games.

I agree with the trade, but to look at the standings and situation objectively, it certainly sends an interesting message to the players. I’ll say this. It’s going to be hilarious when/if the Wings rip off 5 in a row and everyone (including the team) wondering why we sold contributing players.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Not sure if there's a growing consensus, but I'd rather just have the NYI pick this year right? I mean maybe they crater in '24, but I like this draft and I'd prefer to take a shot around 15 or so assuming that's where they land (and assuming we don't move the pick before draft day).

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
True but when the alternative is having Oesterle, Hagg, and Lindstrom on your back end, perhaps it wasn't that big of an overpayment.
If the Isles miss and are in that 12-16 spot, that's going to be a really good player.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

NYI holds it if they pick top 12 this year and Detroit gets NYI’s pick next year.

If NYI picks 13 or later we own it, baybeee!

Reactions: RedWingzz

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Hey I’m just highlighting the side to this where they aren’t out of contention. Well, now the message from the top is “yes we are”.

While I think Ottawa looked like the better team (at home), the refs still completely changed the momentum and script of those games. I’m not suggesting the Red Wings deserved to win either, but if you actually watched the games you could feel the deflation with each poor call.

It was also like 4 games in 6 nights or whatever for Detroit. If they ran it back in Detroit for two games I think we’d see a huge pushback and momentum shift.

Let me ask you this. How do you feel the Sens players would respond if their GM sold after this back-to-back effort? One in which their coach probably preached these being playoff games.

I agree with the trade, but to look at the standings and situation objectively, it certainly sends a message to the players. I’ll say this. It’s going to be hilarious when/if the Wings rip off 5 in a row and everyone (including the team) wondering why we sold contributing players.
Shit that would be a great outcome, it would show Bert and Hronek are expendable and the right choice was made.

Reactions: norrisnick

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

I agree with the trade, but to look at the standings and situation objectively, it certainly sends a message to the players. I’ll say this. It’s going to be hilarious when/if the Wings rip off 5 in a row and everyone (including the team) wondering why we sold contributing players.
If we rip off 5 straight wins without Hronek:

1. How important was he?
2. We still get that extra pick.

That scenario is literally win/win.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
True but when the alternative is having Oesterle, Hagg, and Lindstrom on your back end, perhaps it wasn't that big of an overpayment.
The current make-up of the team has nothing to do with making trades when it has become obvious the Wings are not going to be in the playoffs. It becomes all about future assets.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

I agree with the trade, but to look at the standings and situation objectively, it certainly sends an interesting message to the players. I’ll say this. It’s going to be hilarious when/if the Wings rip off 5 in a row and everyone (including the team) wondering why we sold contributing players.
The deadline’s Friday… let’s see what else Yzerman does.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
If we rip off 5 straight wins without Hronek:

1. How important was he?
2. We still get that extra pick.

That scenario is literally win/win.
A potentially unpopular hot take, worst case scenario is the team goes into a tailspin for the last 20 games.

Tough to watch, but might get them a top 10 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad