How will Dahlin rank offensively among D this season?

Dahlin’s PPG among D this season will be...

• Total voters

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Top 20 might be a bit high given the nature of the season but let's wait until it finishes. Even if he doesn't finish top 20 this year it'll be the last time in a long time unless he gets a serious injury.

Again it's Dahlin and a couple good games could easily get him back on track. Everyone else has to maintain their pace too and I doubt most of them will.
Might be time to admit the Sabres ruined another potential talent.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Should the poll be changed to

Bottom 5
Bottom 10
Bottom 15
Bottom 20?

Last edited:

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Get it out while you can.

And yes, I'm not sure that you will be able to find anyone who won't be jealous.

I don't get this. I've watched the Sabres two times this season (including the game I'm watching right now) and Dahlin has looked great. What's going on? Bad luck? Has he really been that bad?

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I don't get this. I've watched the Sabres two times this season (including the game I'm watching right now) and Dahlin has looked great. What's going on? Bad luck? Has he really been that bad?
Dahlin has been great, seems like he just had a poor first 3-4 games and that always leads to massive overreactions. Since then, he has been playing like one of the very best defencemen in the league once again.

Some fans of Heiskanen are weirldy hating on Dahlin for no reason despite Dahlin massively outproducing Heiskanen for the past two seasons, with better defensive stats.

Last edited:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Dahlin has been great, seems like he just had a poor first 3-4 games and that always leads to massive overreactions. Since then, he has been playing like one of the very best defencemen in the league once again.

Some fans of Heiskanen are weirldy hating on Dahlin for no reason despite Dahlin massively outproducing Heiskanen for the past two seasons, with better defensive stats.

Aaah... Cant say I`m amazed some 15yr old Swede is pumping Dahlins tires. "Past two seasons"? If you mean PP points yes, Dahlin got more of thoose. If you mean playing defense, Dahlin was worse by a mile. Maybe Dahlin should start play wing?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

"Definately has franchise defenseman potential. Not quite Dahlin, Hughes or Makar level, but really not that far off. Better than Heiskanen, for sure." <- This coming from you 2 weeks ago really says it all! I dont know what kind of Bromance you have with Dahlin, but takes like theese really hurts your credibility. And you were talking about Fox...

So AB13 has:

1.Dahlin
2. Hughes
3. Makar

4. Fox

5. Heiskanen

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Aaah... Cant say I`m amazed some 15yr old Swede is pumping Dahlins tires. "Past two seasons"? If you mean PP points yes, Dahlin got more of thoose. If you mean playing defense, Dahlin was worse by a mile. Maybe Dahlin should start play wing?
Dahlin has better defensive stats than Heiskanen too. I would probably take Dahlin, Hughes, Makar, Fox and Girard over Heiskanen, as young defencemen go. Heiskanen is amazing too, though. And yeah, your list is reasonable. I could take Hughes over Dahlin though, Hughes is insane, but I would edge towards Dahlin.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Dahlin has better defensive stats than Heiskanen too. I would probably take Dahlin, Hughes, Makar, Fox and Girard over Heiskanen, as young defencemen go. Heiskanen is amazing too, though. And yeah, your list is reasonable. I could take Hughes over Dahlin though, Hughes is insane, but I would edge towards Dahlin.

Biased much? Swede and Rags-fan is strong in you. And as for the names you just listed - Your Dahlin is the young defenseman doing worst at actually playing defense here.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Biased much? Swede and Rags-fan is strong in you. And as for the names you just listed - Your Dahlin is the young defenseman doing worst at actually playing defense here.
Lets compare some defensive and two way stats from 2019-20, with the team rank since these stats are almost irrelevant otherwise, since they are heavily influenced by team puck possession.

Relative CF%
Hughes 6.0, team rank 4
Dahlin 3.6, team rank 4
Makar 2.6, team rank 7
Heiskanen 2.5, team rank 10

Relative FF%
Dahlin 1.5, team rank 8
Makar 2.5, team rank 10
Heiskanen 2.0, team rank 10
Hughes 5.5, team rank 5

Blocks : Heiskanen 84, Dahlin 51, Hughes 46, Makar 47.
Hits: Heiskanen 40, Dahlin 72, Makar 45, Hughes 7
Takeaways/giveaways: Heiskanen - 37, Dahlin - 26, Hughes - 25, Makar -6.

What picture does these stats paint? There is not much to separate them defensively, based on this. Makar is probably slightly worse than the rest in his own zone, but defensive ability is generally not really something you can base on stats, I must admit. Offensively though, there clearly is a substantial difference. Heiskanen has not been able to produce at nearly the same rate as the others outside of one playoff run.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Lets compare some defensive and two way stats from 2019-20, with the team rank since these stats are almost irrelevant otherwise, since they are heavily influenced by team puck possession.

Relative CF%
Hughes 6.0, team rank 4
Dahlin 3.6, team rank 4
Makar 2.6, team rank 7

Relative FF%
Dahlin 1.5, team rank 8
Makar 2.5, team rank 10
Hughes 5.5, team rank 5

What picture does these stats paint? There is not much to separate them defensively, based on this. Makar is probably slightly worse than the rest in his own zone, but defensive ability is generally not really something you can base on stats, I must admit. Offensively though, there clearly is a substantial difference. Heiskanen has not been able to produce at nearly the same rate as the others outside of one playoff run.
I wouldn't dismiss the best offensive playoff run by a defenseman in this century by a defenseman as "one playoff run".

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I wouldn't dismiss the best offensive playoff run by a defenseman in this century by a defenseman as "one playoff run".
Dahlin is the second highest scoring teenage defenseman in NHL history.
Makar won the calder with one of the highest scoring rookie seasons in decades as a defenseman.
Hughes at a pretty similar pace to Makar.

Makar has a 0.88 PPG in the NHL, Hughes a 0.78 and Dahlin a 0.60 ( 0.68 last season while becoming the second highest scoring teenage defenceman ever). Heiskanen has a ppg of 0.45 in the NHL, 0,51 last season. In comparison can probably dismiss Heiskanens playoff run as a one of hot streak based on this so far, but he will score at very high rates in the future. Just not comparable to the other three mentioned.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Relative CF%
Hughes 6.0, team rank 4
Dahlin 3.6, team rank 4
Makar 2.6, team rank 7

Relative FF%
Dahlin 1.5, team rank 8
Makar 2.5, team rank 10
Hughes 5.5, team rank 5

What kind of terrible logic led you to this decision?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Stats and watching them. I don't think he anticipates plays or defends the rush as well as the others defensively.

Stats? His results are better than all these other guys right now.

I’m not saying he’s elite defensively, but to rank him last out of these players doesn’t make any sense to me.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Stats? His results are better than all these other guys right now.

I’m not saying he’s elite defensively, but to rank him last out of these players doesn’t make any sense to me.
It absolutely makes sense. Who would you have last? Hughes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad