How overpaid are Mitch Marner and William Nylander?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How Overpaid is Mitch Marner and William Nylander?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
People have been talking about how Toronto Overpaid their Forwards.
Now I know Matthews Deserves what he's being Paid, but are Marner and Nylander that Overpaid?

Let's Discuss.

Excuse me? When you're making more than a generational player in McDavid you darn well better be right there beside him talent wise and Matthews isn't even close to the same tier as him.

Matthews, Marner are grossly overpaid and Nylander slightly on the Leafs. That's a fact.

Reactions: Garthinater

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Both were paid properly, consistent with post-ELC comparables throughout the cap era, as has been shown countless times.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
People have been talking about how Toronto Overpaid their Forwards.
Now I know Matthews Deserves what he's being Paid, but are Marner and Nylander that Overpaid?

Let's Discuss.

Honest question, if these 2 hit the UFA Market, do we honestly feel they won't get similar contracts?

When you look at the contracts straight up, they are perfectly fine. The problem is that they got these contracts coming off their entry level deals. Dubas screwed this up IMO but the actual $ are totally fine.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Pastrnak had a slow year at 1 point per game last year he had 95 points in 70 games the year before that it was 81 in 66.
I'm not sure what tier you think Nylander is in, but thats not it.

At the time of the signing Nylander, Pastrnak and Ehlers were all considered comparable wingers. Pastrnak is obviously far better today and his contract is a bargain.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What are these two paid if Lou Lam negotiated the contracts?
I’m thinking MM at 8.5, and WN at 5.5

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015

Can't be certain, but I'm sure the Leafs would have got some decent assets in return when they refused to sign

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I think you nailed Marner. That's Aho money who is clearly a superior player - slightly less regular season points, considerably more regular season goals, way better in the playoffs at everything.

Willy is too low. I think he was getting at least 6 when Larkin and Ehlers signed for that. But Willy really signed for 7.5, which was ridiculous, the cap hit is only 7 because he sat out for a 3rd of a season. Willy is a better player now than when he signed.

Dubas is the worst.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Honest question, if these 2 hit the UFA Market, do we honestly feel they won't get similar contracts?

When you look at the contracts straight up, they are perfectly fine. The problem is that they got these contracts coming off their entry level deals. Dubas screwed this up IMO but the actual $ are totally fine.

There isa "slight"difference between RFA and UFA.

Reactions: Garthinater

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Nylander is fine and boy he was the bright light for the Leafs in the playoffs well from what I've seen. Marner is a bit overpaid though. Who can blame him ? When UFAs are getting paid 9M$ ala Skinner. I wonder how much both Marner and Matthews would've signed if the Leafs didn't acquire JT.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I don't think Nylander is overpaid at all. I think he is appropriately paid.

Marner is one of my favorite players in the NHL. I've always been biased to the skilled players, so Marner fits the bill here, but I don't think there is even an argument to say he is appropriately paid. He needs to show up when it matters to start to warrant that type of money, and until he does, he is overpaid and it's pretty simple.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Nylander deserves his paycheck. Marner about 2M overpayed.
Nylander does deserve his paycheck now. He's increased his goal production by about 50% since he started going to the net regularly from 20 goal scorer to 30 goal scorer. He's also less reliant on getting assists from Matthews to be worth his paycheck and is capable of producing on his own now.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I have no issue with Willys contract NOW... infact I feel his contract is perfect(maybe even slightly a steal).... HOWEVER if Dubas didn't cave as usual when Willy signed, his contract SHOULD have been even cheaper which would be huge now

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
8.5 million for Marner would have been fine for me ... at the time the contract was signed. Now I wouldn't give him more than 6 :-(

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
There isa "slight"difference between RFA and UFA.

That's exactly my point. Looking at the contracts themselves, the players are worth that money. The argument is that they were given these $ before they had to be. IMO it doesn't make the players overpaid, it just means they got this money before they should have solely based on the RFA vs UFA status.

Reactions: bobholly39

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I love bashing leafs--but lets look at the last 3 years

Marner 10.9
Stat line
196 games played 228 pts with +49 21.04 TOI
Matthews 11.6
190 games played 219 pts with a +31 20.16 TOI

Now lets look at Marners playoff production, oh wait it doesn't exist. Playoff performance matters when negotiating contracts, it's not just a regular season deal. You're expected to get it done when it matters. He's been god awful in the post-season and this is coming from someone who had his jersey hanging on my wall for 5 years. Ripped that shit off the wall this year, had enough of that lazy effort in the playoffs. He's a regular season great, playoff choker. That factors in big time.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Marner should be in the Rantanen range.

Nylander should have got the Ehlers contract + inflation. Sorry, it’s not a yearly review, he got overpaid when he signed the contract and that never changes. Then add in his first year was a complete waste.

Reactions: Dache

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Marner should be around $8.5 million per year. Matthews should be around $10.0 million. That extra $4 million would go along way for a top flight D man or two better talents on the 3rd line.
You talking about winning? The Big 4 Contracts already won when they got THEIR money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad