Salary Cap: How much AAV are you willing to give Tyson Barrie on a 7-8 year extension?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How much AAV are you willing to give Barrie?

• Total voters

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I said 7.5-8.

I'm not really sure what he is worth because I didn't really ever watch Colorado, but have definitely heard of him before. I also haven't had the time to research comparables.

I think the Leafs could make it work with 7.5-8 (losing Muzzin unfortunately). 7.5-8 seems like a pretty fair contract for a #2-#3 D if that is what Barrie is. That is why I choose that range.

This season will give everyone a lot more information to see what Barrie actually is (I'm sure not as bad as some posters on other teams board say, and I'm sure not as good as some Leafs homers say).

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Leafs won't go long term on Barrie. And Leafs will wait and see how he does this season here. At 29 it becomes a huge risk to pay off a guys last few years. I think like it or not look at him as a rental to tide us over until Sandin and Lily are ready. and Muzzy is more of type of dman we need and he will be much cheaper to sign with the few AAV $$$ we have based on current CBA.

Reactions: dsred and moon111

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Leafs are gonna be a good position if the bones of their D going forward from this season looks like this:

Rielly - ??????
?????? - Barrie
Sandin - Liljegen

Obviously Dermott has a role here going forward to.
Unless they are gonna bridge him, real cheap, they really need to find out before his ELC ends how much more responsibility he's capable of taking on. And maybe they do anyway, because if Muzzin is walking potentially as a UFA, he could be tasked with moving up into that 2nd pair LHD spot and right now, we really don't know how that'd go for us.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I've just never been high on Barrie, however I suppose if you've drafted well you can give up your #1 defender when you aren't a contender.

Colorado even retained 1/2 his salary to make sure they could trade their #1 defender to get a return, and because their drafting has allowed them to prefer younger and cheaper players like Cale Makar.

Will our Leafs now resign him to this $8 mil asking price or also follow that Colorado model and let him go after the season to make room for Liljegren and use their own drafting to promote younger and cheaper and as Avs hope better players?

Leafs entire defense excluding Rielly is without a contract beyond this season, so Leafs defense might look a lot different the following year and this is all a one and done rotating door experiment with Ceci and Barrie.

Barrie was a former Kelowna Rocket, so not much not to like about him in that regard. The Rockets are a NHL dman factory and they even turned Tyson Barrie a drafted forward into a Dman in the WHL, before sending him off to the NHL :)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Colorado even retained 1/2 his salary to make sure they could trade their #1 defender to get a return, and because their drafting has allowed them to prefer younger and cheaper players like Cale Makar.

Will our Leafs now resign him to this $8 mil asking price or also follow that Colorado model and let him go after the season to make room for Liljegren and use their own drafting to promote younger and cheaper and as Avs hope better players?

Leafs entire defense excluding Rielly is without a contract beyond this season, so Leafs defense might look a lot different the following year and this is all a one and done rotating door with Ceci and Barrie.

Barrie was a former Kelowna Rocket, so not much not to like about him in that regard. The Rockets are a NHL dman factory and they even turned Tyson Barrie a drafted forward into a Dman in the WHL, before sending him off to the NHL :)

Keep in mind that Dermott will be RFA (so highly likely something happens there) and Sandin and Liljegren will be under contract, both *should* crack the roster by then.

I'd be fine with something like 7x7 for Barrie, maybe even 7.25M if it got it done but after that, I am not so comfortable.

If Muzzin was a RHD he'd be a no brainer to re-sign.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm not really sure what he is worth because I didn't really ever watch Colorado, but have definitely heard of him before. I also haven't had the time to research comparables.

Barrie won't be hard to notice as he will often be the first man up the ice, leading the rush with the Leafs forwards chasing him trying to keep up to join the attack.

Leafs will be deploying the 1-3-1 strategy when Tyson is on the ice

Barrie
|
Forward -- Forward -- Forward
|
Muzzin

He plays defense like a Rover and often will be viewed as a 4th forward and not a 2nd Dman.

Its very entertaining to watch - High Risk & Reward (when it works) !!!.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Barrie won't be hard to notice as he will often be the first man up the ice, leading the rush with the Leafs forwards chasing him trying to keep up to join the attack.

Barrie
|
|
Muzzin

He plays defense like a Rover and often will be viewed as a 4th forward and not a 2nd Dman.

This seems like a very extreme example of what might happen sometimes.

I can't see a D man leading the rush all the time when he is on the ice.

Wouldn't he just play D similar to Karlsson (Not comparing the skill of the players, just the style). Karlsson isn't "often the 1st up the ice", may happen a couple times a game.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Keep in mind that Dermott will be RFA (so highly likely something happens there) and Sandin and Liljegren will be under contract, both *should* crack the roster by then.

I'd be fine with something like 7x7 for Barrie, maybe even 7.25M if it got it done but after that, I am not so comfortable.

If Muzzin was a RHD he'd be a no brainer to re-sign.

Agreed

Leafs LHD will be Rielly & Muzzin (UFA resigned) and Dermott (RFA resigned) for 2020-21.

Leafs entire RHD might all be gone and Leafs back to looking internally and externally for right hand Dmen.

I think if the Leafs have to pick between Barrie and Muzzin to resign for cap reasons its more than likely they pick Muzz who plays a bigger, physical and defensive first role.

Barrie is lot like Gardiner stylistically and Leafs traded for Muzz and let Jake walk as a UFA, so that is likely to repeat if history repeats itself by that example. IMO

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Barrie
|
|
Muzzin

do you ever watch hockey?

Reactions: Nithoniniel

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Agreed

Leafs LHD will be Rielly & Muzzin (UFA resigned) and Dermott (RFA resigned) for 2020-21.

Leafs entire RHD might all be gone and Leafs back to looking internally and externally for right hand Dmen.

I think if the Leafs have to pick between Barrie and Muzzin to resign for cap reasons its more than likely they pick Muzz who plays a bigger, physical and defensive first role.

Barrie is lot like Gardiner stylistically and Leafs traded for Muzz and let Jake walk as a UFA, so that is likely to repeat if history repeats itself by that example. IMO

I'm wondering if we could do something like Dermott and Kapanen for Pesce....with a small plus perhaps. Apparently he's playing LD for them but Faulk may be departing too anyway which means of course Pesce would stay.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This seems like a very extreme example of what might happen sometimes.

I can't see a D man leading the rush all the time when he is on the ice.

Wouldn't he just play D similar to Karlsson (Not comparing the skill of the players, just the style). Karlsson isn't "often the 1st up the ice", may happen a couple times a game.
Interesting post. Last night I watched the Avs playoff games over again. Saw 2 of 5 1st round matches against Flames. Going to watch rest. It was very obvious Barrie was first man on rush quite regularly. I mean he takes the puck and goes. Kinda like Rielly a bit but way more rushes. Without counting I would say at least twice a period. I guess it depends on if you like that style or not. To me we got Rielly and now Barrie playing that game. We better have stay at home guys protecting the house with them.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Interesting post. Last night I watched the Avs playoff games over again. Saw 2 of 5 1st round matches against Flames. Going to watch rest. It was very obvious Barrie was first man on rush quite regularly. I mean he takes the puck and goes. Kinda like Rielly a bit but way more rushes. Without counting I would say at least twice a period. I guess it depends on if you like that style or not. To me we got Rielly and now Barrie playing that game. We better have stay at home guys protecting the house with them.

Again as I mentioned before, I didn't watch many Avs games so I don't want to say people who watched the games are wrong, but even 2 rushes a period isn't a lot.

How many rushes are average per period ? 10 ? 20 ?

If he is doing it 2 times a period it would be like 10%-20% of a team's rushes. Nowhere close to "Most of the time".

I also haven't seen a 1-3-1 style with the first 1 being a D. If that is the case, usually the W on his side with sit back until Barrie comes back to his place.

I do agree that the team needs stay at home type D to counter for the offensive guys (Like teams do that have Karlsson style players).

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

Barrie
|
|
Muzzin

This is a take

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I also haven't seen a 1-3-1 style with the first 1 being a D. If that is the case, usually the W on his side with sit back until Barrie comes back to his place..
didn't' we just see it frequently in the playoffs with MaCavoy? Drawing defencemen to him and freeing up his forwards and making their life easier. I think Barrie is potentially just as good at that style only question is whether he ends up turning our high-priced forwards into spectators a bit too often. Because that would get on their nerves pretty quick.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
didn't' we just see it frequently in the playoffs with MaCavoy? Drawing defencemen to him and freeing up his forwards and making their life easier. I think Barrie is potentially just as good at that style only question is whether he ends up turning our high-priced forwards into spectators a bit too often. Because that would get on their nerves pretty quick.

Maybe quote the entire post, because you lose all of the context. I'm not saying D starting rushes doesn't happen, just way less often then being stated.

If we are talking about rushes, one of the F would hang back it wouldn't be a 1-3-1. Maybe more like a 1-2-1-1 or 1-2-2.

Yeah, I'm sure McAvoy's teamates were really pissed at him for "freeing up his forwards and making their life easier"

How can you in a single post say it's totally fine for a D like McAvoy to do this but if the D is on the Leafs it will become a problem ?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is a take

I think Fans will get to see for themselves, but Barrie should best be described as "Rover" and not really a Forward nor Defenseman by the nature of the game he plays.

Unless Babcock instructs and harness him by reigning in his natural instincts, we should expect him to be playing like the goalie is out and the Leafs are behind on the scoreboard as he loves to attack and score goals.

Barrie doesn't just rush the puck and gain the line in the Ozone leading the attack, he is not afraid to take on opposition defenders 1-1 and try and deke out the defense and create scoring chances for himself. You will see him down low and in the slot very often in the Ozone.

He is very exciting to watch because his offensive skills and flair will take you out of your seats at times, with some sick moves and skills. I would expect 15 goals and 60+ points for next year.

His contract demands are +$8 mil now and next summer I expect after a highly successful offensive season that he will be looking for $9-10 mil on his next deal. IMO

PS. The downside that despite averaging > 50 points a season the past 4 years combined (among the elite Dmen) his +/- is -68 during that time, is also very reflective of him viewed offensively and defensively through the same lens. Pucks go in both nets at a high rate when he is on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dough72

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Again as I mentioned before, I didn't watch many Avs games so I don't want to say people who watched the games are wrong, but even 2 rushes a period isn't a lot.

How many rushes are average per period ? 10 ? 20 ?

If he is doing it 2 times a period it would be like 10%-20% of a team's rushes. Nowhere close to "Most of the time".

I also haven't seen a 1-3-1 style with the first 1 being a D. If that is the case, usually the W on his side with sit back until Barrie comes back to his place.

I do agree that the team needs stay at home type D to counter for the offensive guys (Like teams do that have Karlsson style players).
Agreed he is not rushing with puck most of the time. But it is good for us to have someone other than Rielly who does it. Personally I don't like the idea of both of them playing together. Too much risk for my liking. At some point the puck is going to go the other way.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Agreed he is not rushing with puck most of the time. But it is good for us to have someone other than Rielly who does it. Personally I don't like the idea of both of them playing together. Too much risk for my liking. At some point the puck is going to go the other way.

Reilly and Ceci
Muzzin and Barrie

If Ceci can recover his game (was highly touted before), those 2 pairing could be a great mix of stay at home and offensive D.

Time will tell, but I think I'm more excited for this year then last year. Way better overall team.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Reilly and Ceci
Muzzin and Barrie

If Ceci can recover his game (was highly touted before), those 2 pairing could be a great mix of stay at home and offensive D.

Time will tell, but I think I'm more excited for this year then last year. Way better overall team.
Totally agreed. Our defense is so much better than at start of last season. I still wish we had a shut down stopper dman who we can rely in late in games to shut the door but oh well they are super hard to get.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
For those suggesting 8, 9 or higher... why wouldn’t we just target Pietrangelo if Barrie is demanding that much...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
For those suggesting 8, 9 or higher... why wouldn’t we just target Pietrangelo if Barrie is demanding that much...

Pietro has to want to come here and the blues have to not want him. And pietro probably costs Tavares money + inflation.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Where is the "let him walk" option?

I wouldn't mind watching him play first to see how he fits in.

Hopefully it turns out to be good asset management.

Look at Dubas go, trading away 1st round picks and developed 1st rounders on sweetheart deals. No, I apologize because I think Dubas is good. But I'm a fool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad