Salary Cap: How much AAV are you willing to give Tyson Barrie on a 7-8 year extension?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How much AAV are you willing to give Barrie?

• Total voters

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
How much AAV are you willing to give Barrie?

i would give him 9m/year for 5 years

but i can't because i don't have that much saved up in my account

Reactions: meefer

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
He's not the only person to think Barrie could be gone next year. It's a possibility. He's the first I've heard all but guaranteeing it though, which is imo over the top.
True enough.

I for example was of the opinion that Karlsson was as good as gone (especially after that tweet), but I was wrong.

Maybe Dubas gets creative, and finds a way to re-sign Barrie?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
He's not the only person to think Barrie could be gone next year. It's a possibility. He's the first I've heard all but guaranteeing it though, which is imo over the top.
True enough.

I for example was of the opinion that Karlsson was as good as gone (especially after that tweet), but I was wrong.

Maybe Dubas gets creative, and finds a way to re-sign Barrie?

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Jake still benefits quite a bit from soft comp early in his career.

In recent years, with similar QOC as Barrie, he actually hasn't been the possession monster that he was when he was getting sheltered usage.

over the past 2yrs 5v5, both of them getting similar 2nd tier quality of competition:

Gards: -0.3cfrel, +1.3xgfrel
Barrie: +1.3cfrel, -1.9xgfrel
You lost me dude. What sheltered usage?

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Usually a combination of low quality of competition and starting in the offensive zone.
When Babcock had Reilly learning the defensive side of the game 2 year back, Gardiner ran a rather inspiring team possession game. Reilly is now a solid #1. No where did Gardiner receive any sheltered minutes. So now why do we need Barrie. Two #1's leaves a gaping hole on a team that cannot shut down the opposition. Least of all protect their net minder. In this modern day of parity, this team is built to win all hockey pools and ZERO cups.

Last edited:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
When Babcock had Reilly learning the defensive side of the game 2 year back, Gardiner ran a rather inspiring team possession game. Reilly is now a solid #1. No where did Gardiner receive any sheltered minutes. So now why do we need Barrie. Two #1's leaves a gaping hole on a team that cannot shut down the opposition. Least of all protect their net minder. In this modern day of parity, this team is built to win all hockey pools.

Gardiner is a big loss imo

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
This seems pretty easy, no?

Take the expiring money from Ceci+Muzzin ($8.5M), pay that to Barrie. Take the expiring Barrie contract ($2.75M) and Spezza contract ($700k) and give that to Dermott.

Run Rielly-Barrie-Dermott-Liljegren-Sandin-someone in 20-21 for a combined ~$20M.

Tough decision to make with Andersen in 21-22 at age 31.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Usually a combination of low quality of competition and starting in the offensive zone.
Barrie started in the O zone 63% last year, 61% year prior. His 5 v 5 stats were also a bit of an outlier last year as well.

I think we need to pump the brakes a little here on Tyson the defensive stalwart. That way you won't want to blow your brains out when you actually see him back there. Great offensively, great transition, just average defensively. It's okay.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don’t think Rielly is a good comparison, but I hope you’re right!
They both play a defensive style reliant on mobility and eliminating space, and they both struggle when they can't do that. When I said that they get the same results, it wasn't meant as a positive either.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
They both play a defensive style reliant on mobility and eliminating space, and they both struggle when they can't do that. When I said that they get the same results, it wasn't meant as a positive either.

Regardless, I have a hard time believing Colorado would trade a Rielly calliber d-man AND Kerfoot for Kadri.... but I hope you're right!

Reactions: DarkKnight

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Extend him cheaper or trade him at the deadline
Problem solved

All depends on where they are. If they are a legit contender , not where they are in the standings, but have attributes and characteristics to win a few rounds, then you try and sign him.
If they are wallowing around like last year , and he won’t sign cheap, you definitely consider trading him.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Regardless, I have a hard time believing Colorado would trade a Rielly calliber d-man AND Kerfoot for Kadri.... but I hope you're right!

I think Colorado believed they couldn’t re-sign him, so rather than keeping him and losing him they dealt him.
They’re a legit playoff team and I’d rather fill holes now than wait for the trade deadline.

Busher Jackson

4x 1st Team Allstar
Mar 4, 2010
Leafs will have $16 mil to sign 12 players next season, if the cap doesn't change. Barrie is not getting a leaf contract

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Leafs will have $16 mil to sign 12 players next season, if the cap doesn't change. Barrie is not getting a leaf contract
Wrong. Ceci is a UFA. So $21 million. Muzzin is UFA too.

They have many options. And it's not like there won't be more movement.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So Dubas traded Kadri for Kerfoot?
Fire him

Caps a mess. A big name player is on the way out for sure. Overpaying is fine, the tradeoff, trading 1sts for players with good contracts as rentals to fill a need. The downside, team gets stuck in mediocrity and never wins... Seen it before haven't we? Dubas is new and flashy but its a new spin on the old way of doing business.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
So Dubas traded Kadri for Kerfoot?
Fire him
Damage is done. He traded away a very fairly priced center because he failed to insulate him for the playoffs. And now has to sign a deal the next year? Hahaha. Cause we all know how good at contracts he is. We're f***ed.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Barrie started in the O zone 63% last year, 61% year prior. His 5 v 5 stats were also a bit of an outlier last year as well.

I think we need to pump the brakes a little here on Tyson the defensive stalwart. That way you won't want to blow your brains out when you actually see him back there. Great offensively, great transition, just average defensively. It's okay.

We?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think Colorado believed they couldn’t re-sign him, so rather than keeping him and losing him they dealt him.
On top of Johnson, Cole, and Zadorov, they also have Girard's extension about to kick in next year, and Makar ready for a big role. Plus they just drafted Byram 4th overall. Too many players, not enough spots.
Add that to their desperate need for a 2nd line center, and Kadri's great cap hit, and it makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad