Salary Cap: How much AAV are you willing to give Tyson Barrie on a 7-8 year extension?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How much AAV are you willing to give Barrie?

• Total voters

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Barrie's value seems to have sky rocketed as soon as the Leafs traded for him , lol

this guys a good not elite offensive D-man who's weak in his own end and people want to give him 7-8m plus for 7-8 yrs starting at 29?

i don't see how he's worth anything over 6ish per and why would we even want him into his mid 30's at a big cap hit
Barrie absolutely is an elite offensive defensemen. Back to back seasons with near 60 points, five seasons with 12+ goals and is one of the best puck rushing defensemen in the NHL.

I have no qualms with his age because high IQ players with his skating and conditioning survive far longer in this league than others. I would be much more hesitant to give Muzzin term, considering he is older, has more injury concerns, and already struggles in some areas of his skating.

He's a rental. Get used to that idea. I would rather keep Muzzy and slot in Lilly. Cheaper and better cap efficiency i believe.

Barrie is not a luxury we will be able to fit in the cap. Kerfoot was the player targeted to keep and they acheived that and got a really good right shooting offensive dman for a one year run.
Barrie's a necessity, not a luxury. The organizational depth on the right side defence locked up after next season is as follows:

Liljegren
Hollowell
Lindgren

Ceci is a UFA, Schmaltz is an RFA, Holl is a UFA, and Barrie is a UFA. You cannot afford to lose a top pairing RHD who is still in his prime for nothing, especially considering how weak that position is moving forward. The Leafs should do everything in their power to re-sign this player long-term. Anything under 9mill and I am on board, as I expect a 60+ point season from him, comfortably.

Reactions: biotk

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Are you taking the piss? Why the **** is he taking something that light?

Sure, he's going to take a home town discount just like Nylander, Matthews and Marner will and did :laugh:

Ya, they'll sign for cheap because, or we'll easily just plug in a prospect from our loaded prospect cupboard was never as easy to actually implement versus say. I have great hopes for Lil & Sandin, but can they take on a big role & solid minutes in the 2020-21 season? Its still an open question, but hopefully it will happen. That's certainly the most optimistic outcome.

We can hope for $7 m aav I guess, but won't be surprised if its in the $7.5 - $8 m range.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The cap goes up? Jesus so that 11.6M×5 contract with a full NMC in the last year, lockout protected bonus laden deal is acceptable now is It? If I had of brought that in here before he was signed people would have fallen over laughing at how bad it was.

100% true!!! Doesn't stop some from twisting themselves like a pretzel justifying the contract (term is the issue) & stating it was expected.

Last edited:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I'd rather give him a 4 year 8.5 million dollar deal just in case his age 30+ years are bad.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Don't sign non-Star players to 7 or 8-year deals when they are in there late 20's. You are likely to be buying a lot of overpaid years compared to good ones in that scenario. Barrie is a good player when given favorable usage. But, do you really want to be paying a guy who doesn't PK, and gets middle-pair type usage at 5v5 a high salary from 33-36. These mistakes tend to be more egregious than overpaying RFA's.

Reactions: Kurtz and nuck

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The most likely scenario if we want to keep Barrie is to get rid of AJ or kappy.

With Marner signed at 10. You can have 15.5 for 3 D

Dermott at 2.5 then then you have 13 for 2.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Not sure people are realizing what Tyson Barrie is.

Last 2yrs:

#6 dman points
#6 dman goals
#6 dman points per game
#5 dman goals per game
#12 dman points per minute at even strength
#1 dman primary points per minute at even strength

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not sure people are realizing what Tyson Barrie is.

Last 2yrs:

#6 dman points
#6 dman goals
#6 dman points per game
#5 dman goals per game
#12 dman points per minute at even strength
#1 dman primary points per minute at even strength

So evaluate a Dman by offensive numbers only? Aren't you the one who's always preaching the importance of context?

Reactions: Kurtz and MyBudJT

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah, I think we have to see how much shattenkirk is in him.

Shattenkirk was never the dynamic force that Barrie is. Even at shatty's peak, he wasn't even a top30 offensive dman at even strength, while Barrie is top5.

Reactions: Saint Blue

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So evaluate a Dman by offensive numbers only? Aren't you the one who's always preaching the importance of context?

no. I agree that he's not great defensively. Though far from terrible.

I just don't think people are appreciating the actual level of offensive player Barrie is. He is legit elite offensively, not just good.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
45, 44, 44, 56 that's pretty good points per season for a defender.

Probably why he got a great contract that was just bought out.

Over his best 3yrs there, he ranked 33rd in points per 60 at even strength, and 32nd in primary points per 60 at even strength.

Barrie ranks 12th and 1st.

Reactions: Saint Blue

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I put 7 -- 7.5 based on him having a big year but I wouldnt touch him at 8 yrs and maybe not at 7. He is talented but offensive first guys seem to get payed more than they actually put in the win column. This will be an interesting question once we see what he actually looks like outside of Colorado.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I’ve learned on the mainboards that Barrie was a very overrated dman. He’s not good. Also Kadri is now incredible.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I’ve learned on the mainboards that Barrie was a very overrated dman. He’s not good. Also Kadri is now incredible.

The key word in that first sentence is Dman.

Barrie is more a forward than a Dman and should be viewed as a Rover at minimum.

He was a forward prior to entering the WHL as a Bantam and Midget player up to age 15/16, so he is really a converted forward to Dman. Jake Gardiner was also a converted forward to Dmen and in his own zone Barrie is very much similar to him in that regard.

He might be a 60 point player, buts its going to be the defensive side of his game and the # of goals that go in Leafs net when he is on the ice and nowhere near being between the attackers and his own goalie when the Leafs don't have the puck.

Barrie sacrifices defense to join or lead the attack up the ice every chance he gets still playing with the forward mentality as he tries to beat opposition 1-1 and go end to end when he has the puck.

Last edited:

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

Barrie is more a forward than a Dman and should be viewed as a Rover at minimum.

He was a forward prior to entering the WHL as a Bantam and Midget player up to age 15/16, so he is really a converted forward to Dman.

He might be a 60 point player, buts its going to be the defensive side of his game and the # of goals that go in Leafs net when he is on the ice and nowhere near being between the attackers and his own goalie when the Leafs don't have the puck.

Lol. Thanks champ.

So he’s a downgrade compared to Hainsey. Maybe Babcock will take ur advice and play him on the wing.

Ur agenda of the sky is falling and pumping negative crap on this leafs forum is nauseating.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

He was a forward prior to entering the WHL as a Bantam and Midget player up to age 15/16, so he is really a converted forward to Dman.

Barrie sacrifices defense to join or lead the attack up the ice every chance he gets still playing with the forward mentality as he tries to beat opposition 1-1 and go end to end when he has the puck.

Hopefully, he's with Muzzin.

I think Ceci is going to be more important than Barrie anyway.

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie

Then keep the best 2 out of Ceci, Muzzin and Barrie.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lol. Thanks champ.

So he’s a downgrade compared to Hainsey. Maybe Babcock will take ur advice and play him on the wing.

Ur agenda of the sky is falling and pumping negative crap on this leafs forum is nauseating.

My Kelowna Rockets drafted Barrie in the bantam draft as a high scoring forward and converted him to defense in the WHL.. As a season ticket holder I've seen Barrie play hundreds of games in person so its not a negative stance its based on watching him for years..

He will put up a ton of points with Leafs skilled forwards, but it will be his defense that will leave some wondering and wanting. Going to be interested if Babcock tries to reign him in offensively to play a more traditional dman role, and only turn him loose when Leafs are trialing and need a comeback.

He is a very High risk reward player.

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
With also having Muzzin up, getting a d-man with term would've been preferable given the type of contract we gave in return.

With Barrie though it would be a lot more costly to walk if need be.

For myself, I'd have a hard time giving him more than I'd be prepared to re-sign Gardiner for right now. Which is not an unsubstantial amount less than the $7.5-$8m that's been talked about.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hopefully, he's with Muzzin.

I think Ceci is going to be more important than Barrie anyway.

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie

Then keep the best 2 out of Ceci, Muzzin and Barrie.

Muzzin will make the perfect partner and the one providing the defensive presence for the pairing ..

Going to be interesting to see if Barrie plays PP#1 instead of Rielly, because as a RHD he really overlaps the role that Marner currently plays on the PP on the point.

Maybe Leafs use 2 Dmen on the PP#1 this year, because Barrie is much like having a 4th forward anyways.

PP#1
Matthews -- Tavares -- Marner
Rielly -- Barrie

If the Leafs have to pick an either/or Muzzin or Barrie as to who to keep as both are pending UFAs, I wouldn't be surprised if Leafs keep Muzz and Barrie hits the market and gets a big $$ payday as a UFA for a team that needs offense from the defense. Tyson is already asking for >$8 mil per and going to be a rich deal.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Primary Points per minute at even strength rank (min 1000 minutes played):

Barrie

18-19: #5
17-18: #3
16-17: #3
15-16: #28
14-15: #9
13-14: #2

Shattenkirk

18-19: #71
17-18: ---
16-17: #23
15-16: #54
14-15: #36
13-14: #100

I feel like leafs fans have let the main board convince them that Barrie is much less than what he actually is.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad