Salary Cap: How much AAV are you willing to give Tyson Barrie on a 7-8 year extension?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How much AAV are you willing to give Barrie?

• Total voters

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He's a rental. Get used to that idea. I would rather keep Muzzy and slot in Lilly. Cheaper and better cap efficiency i believe.

Barrie is not a luxury we will be able to fit in the cap. Kerfoot was the player targeted to keep and they acheived that and got a really good right shooting offensive dman for a one year run.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
He's a rental. Get used to that idea. I would rather keep Muzzy and skot in Lilly. Cheaper and better cap efficiency i believe.

Barrie is not a luxury we will be able to fit in the cap. Kerfoot was the player targeted to keep and the acheived that and got a really good right shooting offensive dman for a one year run.
So we've created instability on the blue line..... Got rid of the last bit of sandpaper on the team....to go all in on a year where well likely have another hold out from a top forward. Genius I tell you.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
The agent already floated it out there that he is looking for an $8AAV. Which means that is the high end. They may settle on something around $6.5M-$7M

Reactions: dsred and Kurtz

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Most contending teams aren't likely to have the space to sign him to a massive contract, unless he values money over a chance to win, then there's nothing the Leafs can do there. If I recall correctly, it was reported that Barrie wanted about 8 million per. The Leafs have enough space to get him done for next season, and I think they will as I doubt they would have traded Kadri for a rental but maybe I'm wrong.

Did you really expect Matthews and Nylander to sign 3-5 million dollar contracts because other players did 4 years ago? Times change and the cap goes up, people like you need to understand that. Players now a days are only going to get more money, especially franchise players, this is just the way the future is going. Just because they didn't take a contract that was undervalued , doesn't' mean they were bad deals. Plenty of star players in the league signed 5 year deals this isn't anything new, so I'm not sure why people are still whining about it .

The cap goes up? Jesus so that 11.6M×5 contract with a full NMC in the last year, lockout protected bonus laden deal is acceptable now is It? If I had of brought that in here before he was signed people would have fallen over laughing at how bad it was

It makes Eichel's deal look like an absolute steal :laugh: your welcome Buffalo we just made you look competent

Don't spout that valuing winning over money bull****, anybody who's watched our higher end RFA'S and can even remotely spout something like that with a straight face beggars belief

Hey Barrie, our other high profile players over the last couple of years told us to **** off when we asked them to help the team out but how about It? Sounds like a plan alright :laugh:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The cap goes up? Jesus so that 11.6M×5 contract with a full NMC in the last year, lockout protected bonus laden deal is acceptable now is It? If I had of brought that in here before he was signed people would have fallen over laughing at how bad it was

It makes Eichel's deal look like an absolute steal :laugh: your welcome Buffalo we just made you look competent

Don't spout that valuing winning over money bull****, anybody who's watched our higher end RFA'S and can even remotely spout something like that with a straight face beggars belief

Hey Barrie, our other high profile players over the last couple of years told us to **** off when we asked them to help the team out but how about It? Sounds like a plan alright :laugh:

You should probably do your research

Reactions: Dekes For Days

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Let's be real here, Tyson Barrie is going to be looking for a 7 year deal after this season with a new team, or a 7-8 year extension with us. He'll be 29 at the end of the season and will want a big payday to maximize career earnings as he was on a very team friendly contract with Colorado. People thinking he'll sign a 3-5 year deal with less AAV are fooling themselves.

How much would you be willing to give Barrie on a 7-8 year deal before you say "Ah screw it, he can leave"?

I personally think $8 million is as high as we can afford to go with Matthews, Tavares and Marner likely going to be making $10+ million each, and with Rielly and Andersen our next key contract re-signings in the future. IMO, Barrie is probably a rental this year and will be a goner July 1st unless we trade someone.
Cannot say for sure ,until we see what he is all about.But, I don't re-up Barrie because he will want to much if he shines and if he doesn't shine,then I don't want him at all..Morgan is here. Sandin and Lily are comin'...use the money on a thoroughbred stay at home D man or on whatever else is needed.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Agents that sign players to 6 + yrs should loose their privilege to represent players.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Barrie's value seems to have sky rocketed as soon as the Leafs traded for him , lol

this guys a good not elite offensive D-man who's weak in his own end and people want to give him 7-8m plus for 7-8 yrs starting at 29?

i don't see how he's worth anything over 6ish per and why would we even want him into his mid 30's at a big cap hit

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
And 6.5-7 is my number.... If Barrie won't sign for that amount, you will re-sign Muzzin, Ceci and have Liljegren and Sandin knocking on the doorstep. Plus we have Rielly coming up whom we'll have to pay 10+.

No need to overpay Barrie. If our management staff sign him for 8, I could live with it... but I wouldn't give him a penny more than 7 on a 7-8 year deal. Too much risk.

P.S. 9-9.5 is wayy too high, too.
We will not resign him unless it is around what you said. We have a better D man then him to resign and Rielly will be our #1 D man again this year.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
There is going to be some increase in the cap and the prices are going to go up, there is no way he is signing for less then $8 M

Let's be realistic

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I'll let you know after I've seen him play a game or two but I'm pretty sure there's no chance the Leafs will be able to sign him. He's a stopgap for one season that also allowed the team to shed cap space. I doubt Dubas had any intention of keeping him past this season.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I hope TO doesn't resign Barrie for any length of time beyond 4 years, he's at the begging of his declining years and because of his head and speed his decline should be gradual. He might not look like he's declining because of TO's depth of talent but he will be.

I think that when talking about paying a player 8 or more mil. per a team should be only be doing so if the player is more well rounded than Barrie.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd probably prefer slightly less term (six years). Would think he's the biggest priority of the team's pending UFA d-men to re-sign due to being an offensively inclined RHD. To an extent, there's also that he was involved in the biggest trade. A contract extension isn't going to be a given though, so I'm happy the trade also included Kerfoot.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Many D can play well until a ripe old age. Some don't even come into their own until their 30s. I have my doubts that Barrie will be one of them. But I would have been horrified if my team had signed small offensive D Brian Campbell to an 8 year deal at age 29 that would be more than 10M per today. He was still finishing 17th in Norris votes during the last season of that contract. If the Leafs find that Barrie is a RHD who can really help this team they have to do what they can to try to sign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad