How many goals for Ovechkin this season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Leads team in goals and PPG at age 38.

Your post is gibberish.
Have you watched them play at all? No, it’s not gibberish. The entire strategy of the team now revolves around getting him points. As the season went on, he got worse and worse. Disregard the numbers and actually watch. He basically stood in his famous spot and did zero effort back checking or even driving the net. He was a black hole at 2 zones of the ice.

You can find clips if you really want to see what I mean. His performance in the playoffs showed he totally ran out of steam. It’s going to be a new season but he’s closing in on 40 with not much foot speed left. Father Time is undefeated. He was held without a point or sometimes even a shot in the playoffs.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Have you watched them play at all? No, it’s not gibberish. The entire strategy of the team now revolves around getting him points. As the season went on, he got worse and worse. Disregard the numbers and actually watch. He basically stood in his famous spot and did zero effort back checking or even driving the net. He was a black hole at 2 zones of the ice.

You can find clips if you really want to see what I mean. His performance in the playoffs showed he totally ran out of steam. It’s going to be a new season but he’s closing in on 40 with not much foot speed left. Father Time is undefeated. He was held without a point or sometimes even a shot in the playoffs.
Your post us gibberish to say he got worse as the season went on shows how out of touch you are. He went into the all star break with like 9 goals and finished with 31.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Have you watched them play at all?

I watch virtually every Capitals game. You obviously do not.

As the season went on, he got worse and worse.

That is the exact opposite of what happened.

In the first 44 games Ovie had 9 goals and 31 points (.2 GPG and .7 PPG).
In the final 35 games he had 22 goals and 12 assists (.63 GPG and .97 PPG).

Ovechkin was dealing with a back injury to start the season and then got better as the season went on and got his team into the playoffs by playing at an 80 point / 52 goal pace for the final 3 dozen games.

Your post is gibberish built upon falsehoods.

The integrity move for you at this point is to acknowledge you are completely wrong.

Last edited:

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I'd give him 30.

He just doesn't have the supporting cast around him anymore, and that is meant no insult to him.

He has 2 years let on his deal right?
So probably 30 this year, and maybe 20 next year to beat Gretzky's record.

Unless he really gets derailed, he's going to get to Gretzky's goal record, one way or another. It would be great PR or the Caps for it to happen, with tons of long term value.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I watch virtually every Capitals game. You obviously do not.

That is the exact opposite of what happened.

In the first 44 games Ovie had 9 goals and 31 points (.2 GPG and .7 PPG).
In the final 35 games he had 22 goals and 12 assists (.63 GPG and .97 PPG).

Ovechkin was dealing with a back injury to start the season and then got better as the season went on and got his team into the playoffs by playing at an 80 point / 52 goal pace for the final 3 dozen games.

Your post is gibberish built upon falsehoods.

The integrity move for you at this point is to acknowledge you are completely wrong.
Ovie is washed. Deal with it. I’ll be surprised if he goes beyond 30 goals and if he was asked to play any semblance of defence, he wouldn’t break 20.

He’s sacrificed every single part of his game to have the rest of his line set him up for offence. No falsehoods here big dog, that’s my opinion and I’ll wait for him to prove me wrong.

In the meantime, make sure to take it out of your mouth for a minute to get some fresh air.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
42 goals and 2 years left in his contract. He needs another 30+ goal season this year to make things easier for himself.

I'm thinking he scores 35+...first half of last season was poor but he didn't seem himself either.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Ovie is washed. Deal with it. I’ll be surprised if he goes beyond 30 goals and if he was asked to play any semblance of defence, he wouldn’t break 20.

He’s sacrificed every single part of his game to have the rest of his line set him up for offence. No falsehoods here big dog, that’s my opinion and I’ll wait for him to prove me wrong.

In the meantime, make sure to take it out of your mouth for a minute to get some fresh air.
Yawn, we’ve all heard it before. Calling a player that’s 38 with 853 goals washed, coming off a 65 pt season. What an incredibly jarring thought provoking statement.

I’m guess 35 goals for him this year.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Yawn, we’ve all heard it before. Calling a player that’s 38 with 853 goals washed, coming off a 65 pt season. What an incredibly jarring thought provoking statement.

I’m guess 35 goals for him this year.
His career goal total doesn’t affect the level he’s at right now. Joe Thornton was one of the best of his generation but was washed for the last like 3 seasons of his career.

Ovie is a shell of his former self. He sacrificed his game in absolutely every area purely in the persuit of a goal record. If he had to backcheck or contribute at all on the forecheck, he wouldn’t have had nearly as many points.

He’s one of the best goal scorers ever and I like him as a player but that doesn’t change my opinion that he’s way over the hill and running on fumes. I don’t think he breaks 30 this year no matter what.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovie is a shell of his former self. He sacrificed his game in absolutely every area purely in the persuit of a goal record. If he had to backcheck or contribute at all on the forecheck, he wouldn’t have had nearly as many points.

How does a player accumulate the 3rd most hits of his generation by not back checking or forechecking?

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
How does a player accumulate the 3rd most hits of his generation by not back checking or forechecking?
Reread what I said. I even gave you an analogy to late career Joe Thornton (a more extreme example) so you could differentiate past career Ovechkin with current form Ovechkin.

I never said in the past he sacrificed it all to go after a record, I’m saying now he does. He’s nowhere near the dynamic superstar wrecking ball he was in his prime. His numbers come from cheating offensively now and he’s another year older with even more mileage.

Ironically, before he won the cup a huge knock on him (that I always disagreed with) was that he was a poor defensive player. He is now but he wasn’t always IMO. No way he hits 40 this year and I doubt personally he hits 30 either.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Reread what I said. I even gave you an analogy to late career Joe Thornton (a more extreme example) so you could differentiate past career Ovechkin with current form Ovechkin.

I never said in the past he sacrificed it all to go after a record, I’m saying now he does. He’s nowhere near the dynamic superstar wrecking ball he was in his prime. His numbers come from cheating offensively now and he’s another year older with even more mileage.

Ironically, before he won the cup a huge knock on him (that I always disagreed with) was that he was a poor defensive player. He is now but he wasn’t always IMO. No way he hits 40 this year and I doubt personally he hits 30 either.

500 hits over the past 3 seasons proves otherwise.

You don't watch the games. You already proved that.

You are just spewing gibberish....for whatever reason.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
His career goal total doesn’t affect the level he’s at right now. Joe Thornton was one of the best of his generation but was washed for the last like 3 seasons of his career.

He’s one of the best goal scorers ever and I like him as a player but that doesn’t change my opinion that he’s way over the hill and running on fumes. I don’t think he breaks 30 this year no matter what.
How do you sacrifice your game in every aspect while accumulating 123 goals and having 107 assists over the last 3 seasons. Just 2 years ago he had the most assists he’s had in a decade. With 31-34 just last year, how is that washed? He literally out put the team on his back last year to make the playoffs. What are you even talking about lol

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
He did play at a 52G pace for the last 36GP of last season, he just had an awful start to the year. I imagine him going into a season only needing 42G (a mark he’s hit 13x already, not even including shortened seasons he paced for that) he’s going to be extra motivated to do it this year. I wouldn’t bet against it. This is the first offseason where he knows that it’s possible he breaks the record in the upcoming season

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Mods should close this topic.

It was for his predicted goal total for last season and not the upcoming one.
Agree for this season someone could post a new thread but it will be the usual mostly not talking about the actual topic.

For this season same as last year for number of goals, maybe a bit less, but no comments otherwise at this time.

Reactions: BallardEra

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
His super slow start last year makes me think that he didn't do a proper off season training, and he still managed 31 goals. If he comes into this season in good shape, he has a chance to break the record.
1725118035658.jpeg

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Must you embarrass yourself like this. You could have at least googled Ovy's splits.
Sure but don't just selectively quote here the guys said all of this, most of which is very true, especially the part about the playoffs

In the playoffs it went like this.

Game 1 zero SOG, Game 2 1 SOG, game 3 had 4 SOG and then zero in game 4.

Even MJ can admit that he ran out of steam in the playoffs one would think as he watched .

It was also extremely sheltered minutes with 85.7 offensive zone starts at ES.

He will hang around till he gets the record but his overall play just isn't worthy of an average NHL these days.

If not for the record chases he would be getting like 10 MPG or have hung up the skates by now without the record chase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad