How many goals for Ovechkin this season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
500 hits over the past 3 seasons proves otherwise.

You don't watch the games. You already proved that.

You are just spewing gibberish....for whatever reason.
I’m no Ovie hater, I just think Father Time has impacted his game. He’s closing in on 40 and I’m not talking goals. I’ve watched more than half of their games this past season including all their playoff games. You just can’t stand that I have a different opinion than you.

Agree to disagree. I estimate 25 goals if he’s healthy all next season. What’s your guess? We can talk about this again at the end of next season.

I’d love to see him smash the record because I’ve loved watching him play since day 1 but I can’t even say he has aged with time without getting dog piled.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I’m no Ovie hater, I just think Father Time has impacted his game. He’s closing in on 40 and I’m not talking goals. I’ve watched more than half of their games this past season...

It's pretty hard to imagine that anyone could have watched half the games and come away with this:

As the season went on, he got worse and worse.

Again, Ovechkin paced for 50+ goals and 80 points over the last 36 games last season.

Come to the Capitals forum with that gibberish. You will get laughed off the board.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
First sentence I fully agree with. Second...he can't. Not at age 38. it's not possible..right???
Well that post was a year ago and before his brutal start to the season so I’m not predicting 50+ this year. Wouldn’t count him out lol, but think 40ish is realistic, especially with how he finished last year

Reactions: MakoSlade

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
How do you sacrifice your game in every aspect while accumulating 123 goals and having 107 assists over the last 3 seasons. Just 2 years ago he had the most assists he’s had in a decade. With 31-34 just last year, how is that washed? He literally out put the team on his back last year to make the playoffs. What are you even talking about lol
The same way Datsyuk peaked at 90 points instead of 120 or so which he had the talent to do but in reverse. The parts of the game Datsyuk embraced defensively are ones that current day Ovi doesn’t deal with. Note the parts where I said this season past too. He looked bad and clearly lost a step last year. I’m not saying this is his career as a whole, just last year and from here on out.

He gets 80% offensive zone starts, full PP time where he can coast around and is not relied on anywhere near the same way he was in his prime. Look beyond the numbers and actually watch the games. Favorable conditions, à team goal to get him to the record and a total absence of any defensive effort to cheat for points got him through last season. It did not get him through the playoffs.

Again, I’m not saying Ovi sucks. I’m saying he’s a near-40 year old athlete who has lost the foot speed and explosiveness that made him so great. He still has the hockey IQ, skill and scoring ability but he is not currently someone you’d ever think of putting out there when you’re down a goal late or for any defensive assignments at all. I’m saying I’ll be surprised big time if he can hit 30 next year. I hope he proves me wrong but I don’t see it.

This is a thread to estimate how many I think he’s going to score and I did so and explained my logic behind it. I watch a lot of capital games - you don’t have to agree with me but this is my opinion. 25 and under is my pick.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
The same way Datsyuk peaked at 90 points instead of 120 or so which he had the talent to do but in reverse. The parts of the game Datsyuk embraced defensively are ones that current day Ovi doesn’t deal with. Note the parts where I said this season past too. He looked bad and clearly lost a step last year. I’m not saying this is his career as a whole, just last year and from here on out.

He gets 80% offensive zone starts, full PP time where he can coast around and is not relied on anywhere near the same way he was in his prime. Look beyond the numbers and actually watch the games. Favorable conditions, à team goal to get him to the record and a total absence of any defensive effort to cheat for points got him through last season. It did not get him through the playoffs.

Again, I’m not saying Ovi sucks. I’m saying he’s a near-40 year old athlete who has lost the foot speed and explosiveness that made him so great. He still has the hockey IQ, skill and scoring ability but he is not currently someone you’d ever think of putting out there when you’re down a goal late or for any defensive assignments at all. I’m saying I’ll be surprised big time if he can hit 30 next year. I hope he proves me wrong but I don’t see it.

This is a thread to estimate how many I think he’s going to score and I did so and explained my logic behind it. I watch a lot of capital games - you don’t have to agree with me but this is my opinion. 25 and under is my pick.
Yeah, watch any caps game from last season and focus just on Ovi. He just kind of floats around.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He looks flat out fat. There is no way you can play NHL hockey if you are that overweight, so I wonder a bit if this photo has been altered
I can't remember as I usually don't care but do they have official weigh ins for players at training camps still?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
...he is not currently someone you’d ever think of putting out there when you’re down a goal late
So, your argument is that the guy who led the Capitals in goals, points-per-game, and game winning goals is "not someone you'd ever think of putting out there when you're down a goal"?

You've probably embarrassed yourself enough for one day.

Jun 15, 2007
It’s kind of crazy that a guy can make a claim that is so blatantly and objectively untrue, that Ovechkin got worse and worse as the season went on, when he got better and better, and still not just quit the thread out of shame but just continues writing paragraphs of shit no one reads lmao.

Anyway my prediction is 31.

Reactions: max21 and Randyne

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
So, your argument is that the guy who led the Capitals in goals, points-per-game, and game winning goals is "not someone you'd ever think of putting out there when you're down a goal"?

You've probably embarrassed yourself enough for one day.
Exaxtly my point. Yes. Watch a game instead of stats for once. Some of you guys have no idea what you’re watching

if the capitals didn’t agree with me, he wouldn’t get 75%+ all offensive zone starts. It’s easy to put up numbers when you don’t have defensive responsibilities and play sheltered minutes with the goal of scoring as much as possible.

And ok, answer me this - do you think he’s just as good as he was 5 years ago? 10? He’s going to be 39 years old next season. Father Time is undefeated.

It’s kind of crazy that a guy can make a claim that is so blatantly and objectively untrue, that Ovechkin got worse and worse as the season went on, when he got better and better, and still not just quit the thread out of shame but just continues writing paragraphs of shit no one reads lmao.

Anyway my prediction is 31.
Because he did. Quit watching stats and watch the games. And at least quote me if you’ve got something to say.

There’s 10,000 more things than points and he was served tbose on a silver platter. The entire team’s goal was to get him to that goal record.

You and I both saw how he played in the playoffs when the games mattered. He spent most of his season coasting around, doing nothing or changing when the play goes back the other way. Ovie is a shell of his former self and you’d have to be a complete dreamer to imagine him scoring 40+ this year.

Reactions: wetcoast and pi314

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Think beginning of last year was some combination of new center , Father Time at least a little bit and I thought I heard on the radio or from someone on here he was trying new sticks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad