How do you fix the Wings?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I am probably in the minority here, but I would rather suffer the growing pains of Ed and AlJo then take on bad contracts of has beens, or close to it D's.

I'm of a similar mindset, Gibson does nothing to appeal to me with his contract unless he is acquired with retention and not at a high asking price. I realize stats suffer on bad teams, but we have been a bad team also... so.... do with that information as you want. I don't want Husso and Lyon as the tandem but Gibson isn't turning the same roster into a playoff team IMO.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Just wondering if some way we could pull off stammer + Kane + Roy + ghost

Give stammer and Kane both 3 years, Roy maybe 5 years and ghost 3 years.

If we bridge Mo and Raymond you can get their cap hits down.

Move off of Holl, Mattaa, fabbri

Kane and stammer fall off when some prospects starting needing new deals but there really is no other guys that need new deals other than Mo and Raymond for the next few years

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Surprised that we haven't heard anything about a Holl buyout at this point. Something cooking here?
At this point I'm starting to expect we roll into next season with exactly the same roster. Going into July 1 with all of our RFAs unsigned isn't really inspiring confidence that SY has any big moves planned.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
I'm of a similar mindset, Gibson does nothing to appeal to me with his contract unless he is acquired with retention and not at a high asking price. I realize stats suffer on bad teams, but we have been a bad team also... so.... do with that information as you want. I don't want Husso and Lyon as the tandem but Gibson isn't turning the same roster into a playoff team IMO.

With the goaltenders as well. Stay the course and promote from within. I don't care if we miss the playoffs for 2 or 3 more years if we come a better team with a better cap situation.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
At this point I'm starting to expect we roll into next season with exactly the same roster. Going into July 1 with all of our RFAs unsigned isn't really inspiring confidence that SY has any big moves planned.
Maybe "same" team, but a better team.

Prepare for internal growth from the kids. At next season they aren't the same players they were at 2023-24.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Maybe "same" team, but a better team.

Prepare for internal growth from the kids. At next season they aren't the same players they were at 2023-24.
Every other teams young players are also getting better. If that’s the plan, it won’t be enough.

Ottawa will get growth from Stutzle and Sanderson, plus Tkachuk is still very young. Actually their whole core is very young.

Buffalo will see improvements from Dahlin, Power, Cozens, Quinn, etc

MTL looking at Slaf becoming a true threat, Mailloux, Hutson, etc

and that is just our own division

Reactions: raymond23

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
We have Edvinsson, Raymond, Seider

May get Johansson and Berggren on the team too.

Kasper, Danielson, Cossa in GR

How’s it any different?
It’s not different, that’s my point. We won’t get any better in the standings jsut by depending on the kids because every other team also has kids who will get better

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Honestly, of those we could get, who would excite you?

Stamkos is likely the absolute best SY could ever pull off
Stamkos would at least stabilize our C until we see what we have in Danielson and Kasper.

He may not be a superstar 1c anymore but he sure as shit would be better than whatever else we have available for 2c. His ATOI last season was a hair over 18; cut him back to 17. 1st line 21 minutes, 2nd line 17 minutes, third line 12 minutes, fourth line 9 minutes.

If Danielson is able to make the roster and progress to being able to handle 2c next season or the season after you shift Stamkos to the wing.

The improved C depth also gives you the flexibility to buy out Copp, and then you can maybe find a way to make space to improve the rest of the roster. Signing Stamkos to a contract that matches most of Copp's buyout time is the equivalent of paying like 2 million a season to massively upgrade at C.

I'd also much rather pay Stamkos 6 than Kane.

That being said, I still doubt Stamkos leaves TB.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Stamkos would at least stabilize our C until we see what we have in Danielson and Kasper.

He may not be a superstar 1c anymore but he sure as shit would be better than whatever else we have available for 2c. His ATOI last season was a hair over 18; cut him back to 17. 1st line 21 minutes, 2nd line 17 minutes, third line 12 minutes, fourth line 9 minutes.

If Danielson is able to make the roster and progress to being able to handle 2c next season or the season after you shift Stamkos to the wing.

The improved C depth also gives you the flexibility to buy out Copp, and then you can maybe find a way to make space to improve the rest of the roster. Signing Stamkos to a contract that matches most of Copp's buyout time is the equivalent of paying like 2 million a season to massively upgrade at C.

I'd also much rather pay Stamkos 6 than Kane.

That being said, I still doubt Stamkos leaves TB.

Then why do the overwhelming majority of Bolts fans see him as a winger at this point in his career? He might be better in the locker room, but at best he would be a Kane replacement that is a winger with PP time.

Never has Stamkos been a "good" center by 2 way play or face offs. Thinking he is a great center option is leaving yourself open for disappointment.

Now I'd this to say he is a bad hockey player no of course not. But if you are expecting a 1b type center buyer beware.

Reactions: Henkka

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Then why do the overwhelming majority of Bolts fans see him as a winger at this point in his career? He might be better in the locker room, but at best he would be a Kane replacement that is a winger with PP time.

Never has Stamkos been a "good" center by 2 way play or face offs. Thinking he is a great center option is leaving yourself open for disappointment.

Now I'd this to say he is a bad hockey player no of course not. But if you are expecting a 1b type center buyer beware.
No, not 1b. At this point Stamkos as a center probably caps at a 17/minute per night (with some of that being PP time) 2c.

His FO% has never been abysmal, and he has been over 50% every season since 2015.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
We don’t need Stamkos to be a C, we just need him to have the ability to be one that can keep our top 6 afloat if Larkin is down for a period of time. Him having the ability to do it is very important

I'm not attacking him. All I'm saying is if we want a 1b that is not what he is at this point. He would be a upgrade over Compher but then we are paying a ton for our 3rd and 4th line centers with Kasper and Danielsson like 1-3 years away. In a perfect setting you would have him deployed much like Kane was as a top 6w with PP time.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I'm not attacking him. All I'm saying is if we want a 1b that is not what he is at this point. He would be an upgrade over Compher but then we are paying a ton for our 3rd and 4th line centers with Kasper and Danielsson like 1-3 years away. In a perfect setting you would have him deployed much like Kane was as a top 6w with PP time.
Ya I think we just try to make our top y wingers better instead. You add stammer and another legit top 6 winger (Kane, debrusk, marchesault, etc) then I think you have 2 really good lines with Compher as a 2C

Reactions: odin1981

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah. Stamkos is a winger.

People who think him in the middle are just playing video games.

Still, I would like a 2nd line of:

Stamkos - Compher - Kane

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Yeah. Stamkos is a winger.

People who think him in the middle are just playing video games.

Still, I would like a 2nd line of:

Stamkos - Compher - Kane
Yep that’s what I’m hoping our top 6 is

Cat-Larkin-Raymond
Stammer-Compher-Kane

Go 3 years on both kane and stammer. Completely bridges the gap with our prospects starting to come in. After seider and Raymond you basically have nobody that is significant to try to extend.

I want Raymond and seider on long term deals but bridge deals wouldn’t be bad either in this scenario as it would allow you to have enough money to go after kane and stammer and hopefully a couple d-men as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad