GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I mean he's been playing nonstop on the PP and getting atrocious icetime due that we have nobody. If he was back in his second pair role playing on the second wave he would go back easily to his 30 points season.
But he's not so his value is what he is.
Thus trading him more would be better atm for a better return. We all know if Hutson makes the team he should be getting Matheson spot on the PP
Not against trading him, I disagreed he's overrated.

There's a shortage of quality Dmen in the NHL, that's why guys like Ben Chiarot go for a 1st and 4th at the deadline…you don't rate Matheson, that's fine, but he's valuable asset and should be viewed as such.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You did not.

Evans never pouted being put on the 4th line, unless there's injury, he always played there.

Ylonen played 59 games last year, won't be here this year
Pearson played 54 games on that bottom 6, you won't see him either
Pezzetta played 61 games, probably won't have a place for him this year
Even RHP with 45 games, he might be the 13th forward next year.

That's what we all saw.....mix with that the 17 games of White and 23 games from Mitchell, things you won't see either.

We're one winger away from icing Roy, Dvorak, Anderson, Gallagher, Evans and Armia on our bottom 6 and that, we never saw. Although many are grossly overpaid, it's still a very good bottom 6 when you look around the NHL.

And on top of that, slim chance one of Beck, Davidson, Heineman, Kapanen, Tuch, Xhekaj, Mesar start pushing to get a spot.
Bullshit go look at his stats for that year he was completely useless. We had a running commentary on his pouting FFS.

The bolded is complete and utter garbage and a useless waste of contract space.
Fall in love all you want with a BOTTOM DWELLING FOURTH LINE configuration.
There is a reason we're bad you know and damn it might just be the players.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
But he's not so his value is what he is.

Not against trading him, I disagreed he's overrated.

There's a shortage of quality Dmen in the NHL, that's why guys like Ben Chiarot go for a 1st and 4th at the deadline…you don't rate Matheson, that's fine, but he's valuable asset and should be viewed as such.
Ok overrated was probably a reach excuse me but the way i meant it it's that very unlikely he gets 60 points or even 50.

They missed the boat with Anderson 2 tdl ago , if they can get good assets for a guy we traded for Petry and Poehling you do it.

Reactions: habsfan891 and 417

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Bullshit go look at his stats for that year he was completely useless. We had a running commentary on his pouting FFS.

That was not the point of my post.
Pouting or not, he's good for 25-30pts on the season without PP and playing mostly on the 4th.....I'm not expecting Evans to be back next year but I don't see him as a big problem in the line-up.

Our bottom 6 next year won't be like those of the last 2 years

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So how many players the Habs are in the mix this year so we'd get none of those? lol. Do people fall for that every year? The ones we'll get...you won't hear from it.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
A 2nd.

He's worth more than Kovacevic, but not worth a lot.

I'd rather trade Harris for a 3rd and see what Struble does, but if they do do a deal they'll likely target Struble.
Struble was a 2nd round pick, and a good one.
Harris was a 3rd, and a very good one too. One of 3 that played more than 100 games in the NHL.

Trading them back for that would be equivalent to winning the lottery and then trading your winnings for another ticket.

Reactions: Habricot

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
So how many players the Habs are in the mix this year so we'd get none of those? lol. Do people fall for that every year? The ones we'll get...you won't hear from it.
For as long as I can remember, false rumors (or at least disappointment) about big UFA names in Montreal have always been a thing.

Jason Arnott, Daniel Brière, Vincent Lecavalier comes to mind to name a few.

Reactions: dinodebino

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
I see Montreal signing Perron or Sprong whichever one you can get on a 1 year deal.....maybe a bottom 6 physical player like Kiefer Sherwood or AJ Greer local guy more of an ahler that's about it.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I wish Evans could be a better physically.

I see this year as a transition year for our bottom 6.

Evans, Armia, Dvorak all on their last year and I wouldn't be surprise if not all of them start the season. But I expect all 3 to be gone by the end of this season to be replace by some of the names mentioned in our prospect pool.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I still find it curious that we didn't hear any more noise today. Not about the Canadiens per say, but about which team might be interested by whom.

Usually we always hear about Team X being expected to sign player Y and whatnot. But this year excluding Guentzel + Tampa it's been eerily quiet.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
With what $ - Brisebois said today Stamkos is going UFA and Friedman reported TBay is ready to give Guentzel 8yrs / $8M and they are negotiating a new deal for Hedman which they expect to have in place soon… that’s where Sergachev + Jeannot $$ are going

Brisebois said they will retool via UFA to compete for the Cup next season

They can re-arrange their deck of chairs, and I suppose they owe it to their core to keep going for it.... but as it stands with or without guentzel, they are holding it together by a tiny thread with respect to being a heavyweight contender.

I still find it curious that we didn't hear any more noise today. Not about the Canadiens per say, but about which team might be interested by whom.

Usually we always hear about Team X being expected to sign player Y and whatnot. But this year excluding Guentzel + Tampa it's been eerily quiet.

You're right, it is strange. But good for fans as we enter July 1 with more suspense.

Reactions: Kents polished head

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Cammy was a good free agent signing

Thay was an insane offseason and probably will never happen again.

In: gomez, cammalleri, gionta, spacek, Gill, moen (I could be missing names)

Out: koivu, kovalev, Higgins, mcdonagh, tanguay

But yeah, cammalleri is probably the biggest name (in prime) that the Habs ever signed externally.

Reactions: donghabs98

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That was not the point of my post.
Pouting or not, he's good for 25-30pts on the season without PP and playing mostly on the 4th.....I'm not expecting Evans to be back next year but I don't see him as a big problem in the line-up.

Our bottom 6 next year won't be like those of the last 2 years
He's not doing his job and that's not a role he's good at. Never mind the minimal points he puts up.
Jake Evans is our primary penalty killer we are bottom 5 in the league under his watch.
There is absolutely nothing hard about Jake Evans.
3rd and 4th lines are meant to be hard to play against they are meant to sap energy from the opponent so the skill guys can benefit.

When have we seen anything remotely similar in the past two seasons?
We see the exact opposite we are the one getting the energy sapped out of us...
Everyone sees it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2