Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] F Juraj Slafkovsky signs extension with the Canadiens (8 years, $7.6M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think part of that has to did with buyout rules. If it doesn't work out, the buyout hit is 1/3 under the age of 25.
Habs front loaded the deal. If it was straight salary, it would be like a $1.25 mill per dead cap starting in year 5 and going 8 years. But, he is due $6 mill in salary for the final 4 years, so dead cap is $2.6 mill for 4 years, then $1 mill for 4 years.

But, still, Habs have 5 years to determine if they need to exercise that option or not.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Cozens took a step back, but the WC helped. Tage has kinda been figured out a bit. They may not end up being bad contracts if they fall in the middle, but they also won't help Buffalo get out of the never-ending hole, either. It seems like almost none of the GM's signing guys today took any heed of the Skinner buyout either. The GM's may as well LITERALLY get drunk on July 1st, because then they may at least consider something might be a bad idea before they pull the trigger on it, and then have an excuse later. BUYOUTS FOR ERRBODY!
Yesterday was a masterclass in how to fuc your team long-term with Trotz leading the way.

It's fun for the fans at first until the honeymoon phase is over.
As a nucks fan I would tell myself under Benning that shit signings were just part of the craziness of July1 but yesterday as well as re-signing our own guys, Alvin and JR are the example of how to approach UFA.

Reactions: Daz28

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Yikes! What is he good at?

Well, he's better than you at evaluating players.

You look like someone who's main reference is hockeydb...

You wanna know what he's good at?

Well he was a 19 yo kid dominating 90% of mature NHL players along the boards.

His hockey sense is up the roof and he have a nice array of shots.

In 2-3 years from now, he's gonna be a premier power forward.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Remember the incredible thread about how he was worst 1OA? My how times have changed since then.

This an absolute steal of a contract. With one more year of ELC, we might see this contract as a discount as early as year one, and certainly by year two.

Reactions: Pomee

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I don’t get how this is controversial, we could have done a bridge deal and end up paying the same overall cost down the line.

I’m glad Kent put money into our prospects instead of investing in a home town free agent who happened to wear habs pajamas once

Reactions: luiginb

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I was pissed when the Habs drafted Slaf.

I complained about him for 18 months. I was a huge hater.

This kid is just unreal. I own everything I said and I was 100% wrong.

He is so f***ing sick. I love watching him play. The only reason to watch Habs games last year along with Suzuki, Caufield and Guhle.

His smarts are through the roof.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
A Slovakian setting himself and his family for life at his age no matter what happens, and setting aside any money or contract stress/distraction for the next decade sounds like a massive win for him even if he could of milked a few milli in AAV by betting on himself.

Sounds to me like a guy who wants to concentrate on hockey.
Also Slaf doesn't play for Toronto.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't expect anyone who hasn't watched at least 20 of the last 40 Habs games to make sense of this, nor do I expect fans of other teams to suffer through that many Habs games.
But those who know, know.

Well said. Huge gains at the 2nd half of last year. In his first season and the first few month of the second season, he was learning how to manage the puck better.

His forecheck and ability to cause turnovers is very good. Long stick reach and he closes gaps fast.

One of the 1st to come to practice and one of the last ones to leave. Spend a lot of time on his shot and one timer. Vision is underrated. He's not just some big guy that works hard. There is lots of skill there.

Suzuki helped him. Worked with him after games and MSL stuck Slaf with Suzuki in the 2nd half full time and he got a decent amount of PP time. Started to show pt/game signs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs heading along the Ottawa and Buffalo paths?

Probably but we won't be making early moves like the Sens (Debrincat and Chychrun trades too early).

Habs likely have 3 more transition years. We start to show the potential when Suzuki is 28 and Demidov is 21 ish. 7 year spread and we have loads of guys coming. Draft power the Habs have had for several drafts now is unmatched by any other NHL team.

Gorton/Hughes will try to add to this roster but it's very clear.... we are not mortgaging the future for short term gains.

* Maybe we are in on Laine but we are not going deep with futures to acquire. His 2 year term does fit out cap structure. Even with Savard, Dvorak, Gallagher, Anderson, Armia, we are heading into this season with $16-19M of cap space. Going to grow more with Savard, Armia, Dvorak off the books next season.

* Zegras or Necas? Doubt it at this stage. Demidov and Hage are two good picks for the Habs in this last draft.

* McGoarty? Possible. I've seen Beck/Baron talks and it's probably something we can afford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad