Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Well... For starters, he's 22. He was a 21 year old rookie just out of college at the start of last season.

A lot of your criticism of Laferriere could just be attributed to the fact that he's a young player who needs a little bit more time to polish his game.

He has a very good release / shot. He plays with some physicality. He (generally) makes good plays and his passing is solid. He's good along the boards and has a pretty good motor - skates well. Goes from being just under a point/game as a freshman in college to 42 points in 34 games as a sophomore.... That's really good from a development standpoint, especially for a 3rd round pick.

Then he goes from college and steps straight into the NHL and plays most of last year in the top 9 of the Kings, a playoff team. It's pretttttttty rare for a player to do that. Sure, his production wasn't amazing last year and there were times when you could clearly see some areas of his game that needed improvement but he's young (has time to improve) and also showed flashes of being a pretty damn good player last year. As he continues to develop he'll make less mistakes and start capitalizing on offensive opportunities more regularly.

So what am I seeing that you're not?? Potential.

I see a 22 year old player who has the potential to get better over the next year or two and realize that if he does improve, he could be a pretty solid winger for the Kings. I don't think that's a crazy take given the flashes we saw from him last year. For some reason, you're essentially claiming we've seen all there is to see with Laferriere and concluding that he'll always be playing at the same level he showed in his 22 year old rookie season... At the end of the day you might end up being right - But you're essentially predicting that his development just completely stops from here on out, which isn't very likely.
yeah, definitely needed polish.. a place where you can get that polish? the AHL. he didn't get better through the season, he got the same. 1-3 shots per game, usually a -1 or even. shoulda been dead easy to send him down around the deadline like "hey, welcome to the big leagues, here's some stuff to work on" while giving nuclear white hot fagemo his chance

they pissed away that chance cause he's not waivers eligible any more, so yeah we're gonna see a lot of him in his current state

"NHL isn't a developmental league" as some around here like to say when it comes time to trash other players

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
yeah, definitely needed polish.. a place where you can get that polish? the AHL. he didn't get better through the season, he got the same. 1-3 shots per game, usually a -1 or even. shoulda been dead easy to send him down around the deadline like "hey, welcome to the big leagues, here's some stuff to work on" while giving nuclear white hot fagemo his chance

they pissed away that chance cause he's not waivers eligible any more, so yeah we're gonna see a lot of him in his current state

"NHL isn't a developmental league" as some around here like to say when it comes time to trash other players
Right, because he was used to a college hockey schedule where you play 35-45 games and that's your season.... It makes sense that his play fell off a bit as the year went on.

I agree Laferriere probably would've been better suited in the AHL last season and I agree that the NHL isn't a developmental league but that doesn't mean his development CAN'T continue in the NHL. It just means that the NHL isn't typically the best place for players to develop. There's plenty of players who develop in the NHL and get better over their first couple years in the league.

So again, I don't think we've seen the best from Laferriere. The question is does he get marginally better or significantly better over the next year or two - If he gets marginally better, he'll end up as a solid top 9 winger. If he gets significantly better, he could legitimately be a top 6 forward. He has a full off season to train and prep for a full NHL season - We're just going to have to wait and see how he looks in training camp and hope he can take a step forward this year or next.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
i feel like bridging QB is almost insulting at this point, making him wait til all these dog UFAs are signed then opening your wallet like "hey uhhhhh yeah doesn't look like i have that much left, help me out"

just backwards business imo, he should've been priority 1 since he's your guy and your future
Oh, you want a significant raise based on your play? What’s this, you’re only an RFA and under 25? GTFOH with that garbage!! You’ll take a 2 year deal at double the league minimum and you will like it. If you don’t, then we’ll ship your ass out just like we did Vilardi and are about to do with Spence. Be thankful that you’re not riding the bus playing bottom 6 minutes in Ontario, nerd.

Dog as Man

Mostly sniffing around.
Feb 27, 2002
Napa
Hopefully Laferriere spends the summer adding 8 to 10 lbs. of muscle, honing his shot and using his noggin to decide to be a force. Dude graduated from Harvard. I imagine that takes buy in, work and a little brain umami.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Right, because he was used to a college hockey schedule where you play 35-45 games and that's your season.... It makes sense that his play fell off a bit as the year went on.

I agree Laferriere probably would've been better suited in the AHL last season and I agree that the NHL isn't a developmental league but that doesn't mean his development CAN'T continue in the NHL. It just means that the NHL isn't typically the best place for players to develop. There's plenty of players who develop in the NHL and get better over their first couple years in the league.

So again, I don't think we've seen the best from Laferriere. The question is does he get marginally better or significantly better over the next year or two - If he gets marginally better, he'll end up as a solid top 9 winger. If he gets significantly better, he could legitimately be a top 6 forward. He has a full off season to train and prep for a full NHL season - We're just going to have to wait and see how he looks in training camp and hope he can take a step forward this year or next.
yeah i dunno, i just see great value brand iafallo. agree to disagree i guess.
Oh, you want a significant raise based on your play? What’s this, you’re only an RFA and under 25? GTFOH with that garbage!! You’ll take a 2 year deal at double the league minimum and you will like it. If you don’t, then we’ll ship your ass out just like we did Vilardi and are about to do with Spence. Be thankful that you’re not riding the bus playing bottom 6 minutes in Ontario, nerd.
we paid you performance bonuses! cmon you owe us!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
i don't see whatever you're seeing in laf, i see all show no go. skates hard on entry, tries to backcheck, isn't good enough at it, minus a million (given that's skating with PLD), doesn't have a top 6 kind of release, most of his goals are fluke bounces. pure coach's pet material, looks like he's doing way more than he actually is, 3rd line to the T. doesn't help that for whatever reason, he was completely immune to even the thought of waiving him and giving anyone else a chance. he was exempt until mid-april and he flatlined for huge stretches of last season

i see more value in elevating a winger with a specific talent than i see elevating a jack of all trades. i don't know who that guy is but fagemo and thomas have earned a shot. laf has been given his.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but I see the opposite in Laferriere. He puts in a lot of effort on both ends of the ice, but not flashy. I think a lot of his flaws can be addressed with experience.

If you mean something else with "all show no go" then feel free to clarify. I see what you mean about the results not being there, but I just don't see that as "all show."

Could just be a difference in definition though.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
No matter how I try and configure the forward lines, it just doesn't "fit" right with our current personnel.

Also, I don't think you can rely on Turcotte and Thomas being healthy.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but I see the opposite in Laferriere. He puts in a lot of effort on both ends of the ice, but not flashy. I think a lot of his flaws can be addressed with experience.

If you mean something else with "all show no go" then feel free to clarify. I see what you mean about the results not being there, but I just don't see that as "all show."

Could just be a difference in definition though.
i mean like you can drive a 1982 datsun with slicks and racing stripes real f***in hard around a track and put in a ton of effort and rip gears all day but you're still 5 minutes off pace in a GT race

Reactions: Kurrilino

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
My friend why are you willing to be optimistic when it’s still gonna be a Kopitar and Doughty team playing 20+ for sure.

They don’t deserve the rope you’re willing to give them. They had plenty.

Come to the dark side, the waters nice here.
Image tagged in star wars,darth vader,get in loser

Maybe Blake is leaving some gas in the tank for moves before the deadline .

After he sees where a few kids may be able to take a spot. then assess and plug the remaining holes.

Last edited:

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
i feel like bridging QB is almost insulting at this point, making him wait til all these dog UFAs are signed then opening your wallet like "hey uhhhhh yeah doesn't look like i have that much left, help me out"

just backwards business imo, he should've been priority 1 since he's your guy and your future

Blake always plays hardball with the RFA's and I like it.

He hands them the contract and a lawn chair.

The less Blake did in FA the better,

He did address team toughness, an area of need.

Got rid of smallish 4th liners due for a pay raise.

Will presumably have room to see what some young players can do and plug holes before the deadline.

The kids are gonna sink or score and swim.

They're redoing something at Crypto I think right?

Yes, extensive French to English translation infrastructure equipment.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
i mean like you can drive a 1982 datsun with slicks and racing stripes real f***in hard around a track and put in a ton of effort and rip gears all day but you're still 5 minutes off pace in a GT race
renault_lecar_1979_web5a.jpg

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Hedman just signed an extension for $8 million a year. He’ll be making $3 million less than Doughty with a much higher cap than when Doughty signed his deal. I always hated the Doughty contract but this takes it to another level.
You also have to figure in the state tax difference between California and Florida. You can take less money in Florida overall and still make the same that you would in California.

If Hedman is getting paid 8m a year in Florida than his take home pay with the taxes out (~2.9m) would be around 5-5.1m a year. Doughty on the other hand with 11m a year and California taxes (~5.4m) would be taking home around 5.5m a year, if both filed as single in their respective states.

That's a massive difference in payment that teams would have to overcome in contract negotiations.

Reactions: Nasti and Surf Nutz

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
You also have to figure in the state tax difference between California and Florida. You can take less money in Florida overall and still make the same that you would in California.

If Hedman is getting paid 8m a year in Florida than his take home pay with the taxes out (~2.9m) would be around 5-5.1m a year. Doughty on the other hand with 11m a year and California taxes (~5.4m) would be taking home around 5.5m a year, if both filed as single in their respective states.

That's a massive difference in payment that teams would have to overcome in contract negotiations.
True, but the taxation applies to only about half the games.

When a player plays road games, they pay income taxes to that state.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Blake uses the word "character" with these signings. But he traded and got PLD last year that is the total opposite of character.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
True, but the taxation applies to only about half the games.

When a player plays road games, they pay income taxes to that state.
Also Doughty isn't getting taxed $5.4 million a year by CA. It's around $1 million. Doughty is taking home roughly $800k a year more than Hedman if we aren't doing the "tax rate in other states he plays in" game that I don't have time to figure out.

Hedman took that rate just because he didn't want to leave a place more than any tax benefit.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm saying that the difference between their take home per year at the same contract rate is about $800k a year. While that's a lot of money to us, I'm not sure if it makes that much of a difference to guys worth 10's to 100's of millions of dollars especially when it means moving your family (or moving away from your family) to a brand new place.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Blake uses the word "character" with these signings. But he traded and got PLD last year that is the total opposite of character.

These are just the death rattles of a dying manager.

Blake never really had much of a vision or plan, and now that he’s failed so spectacularly, he’s grasping at whatever he can to justify his job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad