How do you fix the Wings?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Idk, I just watched a team win the cup with a bunch of guys they brought in waivers/trades/ufa vs a ton of home-grown talent.

Barkov - 2nd overall in 2013
Ekblad - 1st overall in 2014
Tkachuk - 6th overall in 2016 (acquired with 3rd overall pick in 2011)

To me, Florida looks like a prime example of rebuilds taking time and people needing to relax on Yzerman.

We nailed our top draft pick in 2019
We nailed our top draft pick in 2020
Virtually no one available to the red wings in 2021 and later is contributing at the NHL level because rebuilds take time

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Barkov - 2nd overall in 2013
Ekblad - 1st overall in 2014
Tkachuk - 6th overall in 2016 (acquired with 3rd overall pick in 2011)

To me, Florida looks like a prime example of rebuilds taking time and people needing to relax on Yzerman.

We nailed our top draft pick in 2019
We nailed our top draft pick in 2020
Virtually no one available to the red wings in 2021 and later is contributing at the NHL level because rebuilds take time
100%

That could also suggest you need multiple top 3 picks one way or another

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think it has to be a clean slate, we just need to be at a point where more of the kids he picked are moving onto the roster. We start setting a higher baseline for the big club we can start freeing up more picks/prospects to be moved in trades. We've already seen talk along those lines and our D prospects. Our blueline is getting better, we're having more kids move up and solidify spots, so we're way more able to deal guys like Wallinder and Tuomisto.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
100%

That could also suggest you need multiple top 3 picks one way or another
Red Wings aren't trading Edvinson in a package for Draisaitl and paying him a contract extension too. What Florida did there with the Tkachuk trade isn't exactly(home-grown). Made a risky move for a franchise building block.

It'd be as home-grown as the Debrincat trade.(which was much less costly/risky.)

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Great post -- and you forgot to include Danielson!
That's the thing - I was just focusing on guys who could legitimately be on the roster next season! Danielson may very well be on the team, but it seems less of a sure thing. I only included Sandin-Pelikka due to his season last year. IMO his trajectory really separates him from any other prospect who isn't a lock to be on the roster in 2024-25.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Give it a day or two. There may be more to it. Something tells me more is moving to Detroit before the end of the week.
yeah, theres gotta be more to it...

Like of course we all understand needing to clear Cap space, and maybe Yzerman is pushing hard for Guentzel or Stammer or Matt Roy, and he likely wants Ghost back...but

I'm just so confused how Walman, who is a pretty good player, has negative value in this market. Maybe there were off-ice issues, which could explain why he was scratched late in the season...?

Wouldn't a buy-out make more sense then dumping a 2nd...?

I dunno..I just don't understand it at all

Oct 18, 2006
yeah, theres gotta be more to it...

Like of course we all understand needing to clear Cap space, and maybe Yzerman is pushing hard for Guentzel or Stammer or Matt Roy, and he likely wants Ghost back...but

I'm just so confused how Walman, who is a pretty good player, has negative value in this market. Maybe there were off-ice issues, which could explain why he was scratched late in the season...?

Wouldn't a buy-out make more sense then dumping a 2nd...?

I dunno..I just don't understand it at all
I agree, legitimately one of the most bizarre trades I’ve ever seen. I had to read it several times for it to sink in. I thought the 2nd was coming our way and was like okay that’s reasonable, then I had a closer look. Weird stuff.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I agree, legitimately one of the most bizarre trades I’ve ever seen. I had to read it several times for it to sink in. I thought the 2nd was coming our way and was like okay that’s reasonable, then I had a closer look. Weird stuff.
Have to believe the "future consideration" is SJ eating a contract from our roster, whether it's Holl, Husso, or maybe even Copp.

Reactions: TheOctopusKid

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Have to believe the "future consideration" is SJ eating a contract from our roster, whether it's Holl, Husso, or maybe even Copp.

Yeah, I'm of the mind that you're right. The only way I can see that 2nd making sense is that it is based on a conditional around IF the Wings secure Gibson, they will take Husso.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Yeah, I'm of the mind that you're right. The only way I can see that 2nd making sense is that it is based on a conditional around IF the Wings secure Gibson, they will take Husso.
Honestly, it could be conditional to the point where they could eat any of our contracts depending on what Yzerman does. It could give him a lot of flexibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad