GDT: 2024 draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
True, but on the other hand, any Canes fan should have anticipated that it was a strong possibility that the Canes trade back.
Have they previously traded down a first rounder, though? At least for a non-first-rounder so that they take themselves out of the day 1 drafting action during the draft?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Saw something on Twitter that I didn’t notice last night:

Not a single team congratulated Florida on their Cup win last night. Usually you’ve got multiple teams starting off their draft with “The [X] would like to congratulate…”

Just the year before, Vegas got 4-5 such messages. It’s interesting.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Personally I like the idea of having 3 second round picks…I seem to recall some dude named Aho being picked in the second…
Faulk, Duomolin, Rask, McGinn, PDG, Ned, Aho, Luostarinen, Drury, Kochetkov, Ponomarev, Morrow, Koivunen, FUS.

All guys drafted in round 2 that either have become regular NHL’rs, were used in trades to help the team, or look promising for the future.

As @bleedgreen and others have alluded to in the past, when you get beyond the early-mid 1st round, its never a sure thing, so it’s often good to have more darts.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Not a single team congratulated Florida on their Cup win last night. Usually you’ve got multiple teams starting off their draft with “The [X] would like to congratulate…”

Is it possible the teams were told to leave that off? I have always found it stupid really, and if I was in charge I would stop that so it doesn't become an expectation that you have to do it and then there's 31 teams doing it, and if someome isn't then it's interpreted as negative.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

They were in Vegas, everyone wanted to be out of there ASAP

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I expect San Jose to nab him.

I'm hoping we don't go Artamonov if they do. Nothing against the kid, but I don't like him for the mix via-a-vis our current NHL forwards and prospects. His skillset feels redundant.

Canes shouldn't be afraid of redundancies at this point in their farm system development. If you ever have two or three guys who look NHL-ready but have redundancies, that's what the trade market is for (see Koivunen and Ponomaryov). Artamonov and Chernyshov are a couple of my BPAs at this point in the draft, and I'd have no problem with either one.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
It's not a redundancy. It's a near-totality of our top F specs. Nadeau, Blake, Trikozov, Perron, FUS...we have a lot of smallish, elusive, cerebral, perimeter playmaking F, most of whom are really top-6-or-bust.

For systemic reasons, I think we should look to diversify that dynamic. Artamonov isn't BPA at 34, probably not at 50...if he's there at 60, nab him obviously.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad