Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I don't think there is room on the roster for 4 players. I'm expecting 2 mid tier signings even though more would be ideal.

Feels like NHL gms are going to clean up some.of their own mistakes by using waivers. Those NTC/NMC are going to start needing large discounts

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
@Bizz Interesting take on Stamkos. I thought he looked pretty good last season. Not to mention his stat line for the past 3 seasons is pretty consistent.

IMG_3730.jpeg

You overpay to get him to SJ. Bringing in a former 1st overall, Stanley cup winning captain provides valuable leadership and mentorship to Celebrini and Smith, while taking some pressure off of them and exciting the fan base even more. Not to mention the massive change in tax situation from Tampa. He won’t come to San Jose but if you wanted to try, you go big.

Sean Walker is a decent RD option for the top 4 with what’s available.

Teravainen and Tarasenko still have some skill and aren’t long deals. Tarasenko has been a top line guy and has won two cups. Grier was reportedly interested in him last season. Teravainen just fits the bill nicely is you don’t get someone better.

Henrique had a solid season and has the leadership Grier keeps talking about wanting. He’s essentially just a Couture backup suggestion.

Barrie would work if nothing else works out. Decent PP guy. Sounds like a big locker room fit.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
March is perfect. Sc winner, conn smythe winner. 40 goal scorer. Pesky. Physical. Tough.

Perfect wing for smith or celly. And a perfect mentor.
I dont want some napoleon complex'd shithead corrupting my team, no matter if he is a good player and gamer.

This is a guy who responded to fans on IG calling him out for diving by saying "go suck on your mom's ...".

He can kick rocks

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Brisebois refuses to budge on giving Stamkos a legacy contract despite winning two Cups with him.

Meanwhile Wilson handed out retirement contracts to a half dozen guys who never won us shit.
He is nearing a extension with a 33-year old Hedman. sounds like he's 1 for 2 on legacy contracts

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I just want MG to shop Ferraro this offseason, so we can finally start building a fresh defensive core. Vlasic is obvious too, but Sharks will probably ride that contract until the end. Ferraro deserves a little bit of a lesser role on a better team to see if he is the player he was once drafted for. I don't think it works in San Jose, there is just not the right group around him even though I love Ferraro as a leader/person. I remember when I first joined HFboards, I had Ferraro as my profile pic because I had high hopes for him but he was unfortunately the right guy at wrong time.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
That would be massive. Apart from 40 year old Rob Blake, would Toffoli be the best UFA the Sharks have ever signed?
Selanne technically hit free agency before the Sharks re-signed him.

Scott Thornton, Paul Martin, Joel Ward, Niemi all come to mind. Hjalmarsson technically signed as well.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Selanne technically hit free agency before the Sharks re-signed him.

Scott Thornton, Paul Martin, Joel Ward, Niemi all come to mind. Hjalmarsson technically signed as well.
Hjalmarsson wasn't UFA though.

I think Toffoli is a better player right now than Thornton, Martin, Ward and Niemi were at time of signing.

Toffoli actually has more goals over the last 2 seasons than Guentzel (not to mention M. Tkachuk, Kyle Connor and a bunch of other big names).

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Trying to sort out where we spend some money today and what the roster spots look like.

- Still need to clear out one of Rutta or Benning to upgrade the defense. Not sure who that upgrade will be though as I don't see us paying out the term that some of the UFA RHD are going to be seeking (but without upgrading the defense we have no tangible path to taking a step forward as Grier wants to do).
- Would like to see Ferraro dealt, but could also see a path where he's kept and Muk has to truly earn a spot over one of Ferraro, Thrun, or Walman (though that would be what Vlasic is for as a barometer/insurance option if Muk isn't ready).
- Need to sign 1-2 top 9 forwards. Can't assume Couture is going to be healthy and playing all season.

Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
?? - Celebrini - Toffoli
Kostin - Smith - Dellandrea
Goodrow - Sturm - Kunin

Grundstrom and Afanasyev as scratches for now and Givani/Bailey with the Cuda. Third line doesn't look like a great position for Smith to succeed without much in the way of finishing punch for his playmaking. Though both guys have 1st round pedigrees.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I still say the Sharks could flip Trouba to DET after waiver claim. If that's allowed in the CBA....

Oh, I guess that's not a thing that could happen:

The team lowest in the standings gets first dibs. If they then decide to trade the player, he would first have to be passed on by the other two teams. If a team places a claim, he'd be theirs. If not, he can be traded.Mar 29, 2024

Although I'm not sure if the context is correct with the above info.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I still say the Sharks could flip Trouba to DET after waiver claim. If that's allowed in the CBA....

Oh, I guess that's not a thing that could happen:

Although I'm not sure if the context is correct with the above info.
It's certainly possible but I still view it as unlikely. Detroit's probably only going to add Trouba if they can get him at a lower cap hit. If he's not willing to accept a trade there and the Rangers feel like waiving him is their best option, he'll have to wait until next year to go to Detroit via San Jose.

Reactions: landshark

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Thinking we start the year with something like:

Mack - Couture - Toffoli
Smith - Goodrow - Kunin
<Rotating cast>

I haven't really kept up, but I think we need another RHD - preferably one with a little offense who can QB a power play. There are a few still out there. If the rumors of a Pietrangelo trade are real though... I'd be down to take on his contract for some extra pieces in the ole war chest.

Reactions: coooldude

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Thinking we start the year with something like:

Mack - Couture - Toffoli
Smith - Goodrow - Kunin
<Rotating cast>

I haven't really kept up, but I think we need another RHD - preferably one with a little offense who can QB a power play. There are a few still out there. If the rumors of a Pietrangelo trade are real though... I'd be down to take on his contract for some extra pieces in the ole war chest.
Why do so many put guys that have only ever been centers and profile to be centers long term on the wing? Also, Pietrangelo isn't rumored for anything that I've seen/read and has a full NMC and would literally never come here.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Why do so many put guys that have only ever been centers and profile to be centers long term on the wing? Also, Pietrangelo isn't rumored for anything that I've seen/read and has a full NMC and would literally never come here.

Because being a center or a wing isn't like a static thing. Every center has played wing, I promise you. Center has a larger region of responsibility and is more involved in back-checking and the break out. That said even within a game or a shift, a players ROI should be fluid and will shift depending on the flow of the game. A lot these guys next played "exclusively" wing simply because they were generally trusted to be the guy who could cover the largest portion of the ice. You look at the classic Hertl/Jumbo/Pavs line and the "center" would often change from shift to shift or game to game. The truth is you don't want Macklin solely shouldering that responsibility right from the word go. But it's fluid. You want to provide the scaffolding to allow him to grow into the role.

As for Pietrangelo, there is a whole thread about it elsewhere. Vegas wants to move him because he has lost a step. No team trying to win is going to take his contract. Sharks would offer him the most ice team and a leadership role. Not to mention a low pressure environment where he can age gracefully while being ridiculously overpaid. Here he would be "the guy" on defense. I don't know who else can offer that.

Reactions: coooldude

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Eklund (can fill in as C in emergencies) - Granlund - Zetterlund (a solid second line playing as 1st line)
Kostin - Celebrini - Toffoli
Dellandrea - Wennberg - Smith
Kunin - Sturm - Grundstrom

In and out of the lineup: Graf, Bords, Goodrow
Call-ups with injuries: Bailey, Goose.

The logjam of 3rd/4th liners is brutal. Still, better than last year.

Now if only we made any moves on RD... Carrier??? Gostisbehere? Klingberg reclamation project? Colin Miller?

I don't buy this Pietrangelo rumor... I buy that they want to trade him, but not that he'd waive for SJ. I also don't buy the Trouba thing, but if we did claim him on waivers, it would undeniably be a positive addition to the blue line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad