Speculation: Trouba's No Trade List

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
There was NO TRADE with Detroit. He’s never been approached to waive to go there. If a trade does happen, Detroit is still likely one of the places he would ultimately accept a deal to.

He very much will control where he goes. Give it awhile. Something will likely go down sooner than later.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Pionk was a better player back then, and the 20th overall pick could have either been used to draft a better player or traded at the draft for something valuable.

Pionk is a nothing, empty calories player, who had maybe one season in his career where he was any kind of a difference maker.

Look at the guys drafted around and just after the guy they took, pretty much nothing. The 20th overall pick on it's owns isn't getting you some great player.

To say the Rangers were fleeced in the trade is hillarious.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Mayfield and Ristolainen seem like logical targets. Pulock and to a lesser extent Dougie Hamilton sort of make so sense to me, but the other team wouldn't want that big of a player downgrade.
Not a chance the Islanders are helping the Rags out by trading them Pulock so Captain Elbows can stay locally to get the Rangers out of their contract (and cap problem). This would be the same thing if it was the reverse among the teams. The Isles and Rangers aren’t like the Western Canadian teams who like to rotate players amongst eachother.

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006

Such a strange sentence. Larry Brooks or a robot?

Trouba, who was not hailed in the same manner as Bob Baun in 1964 for playing on a broken ankle in the playoffs, is projected to be the club’s third-pair right defenseman behind Adam Fox and Braden Schneider.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
How far is Philly from NY?

Risto for Trouba could work
From google:

People also ask

How long is Amtrak nyc to Philadelphia?

The train journey from New York to Philadelphia takes 1h 18m on average and covers a distance of 82 miles.

So, rent a cheap apartment for various situations in Philly, and try to spend as much time as possible not at the apartment, but home with the family in NYC via Amtrak travel, or I guess driving, if preferred.

The residency that's preventing his family from moving finishes at the end of June, so this is a very workable 8 or 9 month long situation. Once Philly misses the playoffs or is eliminated from the playoffs, Trouba can spend all of his time in NYC, and then move the entire family to Philly in the offseason.

Reactions: HBK27

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Pionk is a nothing, empty calories player, who had maybe one season in his career where he was any kind of a difference maker.

Look at the guys drafted around and just after the guy they took, pretty much nothing. The 20th overall pick on it's owns isn't getting you some great player.

To say the Rangers were fleeced in the trade is hillarious.
Pionk has been better than Trouba since that trade, they got a first round pick, and they avoided a huge contract liability.

Seems like a pretty lopsided trade to me.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I always wondered when we’d see a player traded then traded back to his original team with retention. He’s their captain and 4m over 2 more years should fetch a 1st and make everybody happy.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I always wondered when we’d see a player traded then traded back to his original team with retention. He’s their captain and 4m over 2 more years should fetch a 1st and make everybody happy.
Well, everybody but the NHL Front Office who would void the second trade & then probably fine/punish both teams for a really weak attempt at cap circumvention. And the NHLPA for jerking around a player like that. And the player himself for now being stuck with the other team.

Everyone else though, sure...

(iirc, the rule is that if there's retention involved there must be at least a year separating the return trade)

Reactions: Leafshater67

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
Can they mutually agree to terminate the contract? If so, then Trouba could sign with the Islanders or Devils for whatever they can afford. He's already made $50 million and could probably make another $20 million even if he forfeits the $12 million he has left on this contract.

• Love
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Can they mutually agree to terminate the contract? If so, then Trouba could sign with the Islanders or Devils for whatever they can afford. He's already made $50 million and could probably make another $20 million even if he forfeits the $12 million he has left on this contract.

I believe they could, but the Devils are already basically capped out and set at RD with Hamilton, Pesce & Nemec. Not sure on the Islanders situation.

Realistically, with $12M remaining on his contract, Trouba might only recapture a third of that value over the next two years if he went that route. Islanders would hold all the leverage on any contract for him this season.

I don't see any way he could still make $20M the rest of his career. For example, The Athletic values Trouba at $2.2M now and his value will only go down as he ages.

Trouba and his agent would have to believe that there was serious interest in a team not on his no trade list in acquiring him (likely with the Rangers adding enough incentive via retention and/or attaching assets) or some team picking him up off waivers at his full contract (which I personally find doubtful).

I personally still think he reports to another team if he gets traded or claimed off waivers as that is a lot of money to give up even considering his career earnings. He understandably is just doing everything within his power to prevent that from happening.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Idk. If my only choices are to have elbows flying at my team or the other team all game, I’d prefer the latter
If Trouba wasn't terrible AND a dirtbag, he might have more teams interested. The fact that he's both makes it a hard sell. Might depend on how much Drury wants to include or retain. Retaining 50% doesn't help them do the things they want to do. Also can't see Drury including any serious picks or prospects to entice teams to take him.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
By everyone you mean Rangers management and fans? I’m skeptical that Jets fans or the Trouba family would be thrilled.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
I hate this argument. It's professional sports and players are separated from their wives and kids all the time. He is making 8 mil a year. Hire a nanny.

Actually its just reality, humans are forced to separate from their wives and kids for work related issues all the time.

Like you said, at the end of the day, it's a business.
He has contractual protection that NYR gave him for that purpose.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Somebody tell me the flaw in this :

- Trouba and NYR mutually agree to terminate the contract. This is allowed under NHL CBA rules as far as I know, but players never want to do it because they're agreeing to no longer get paid the money they are owed.

- For reference, if we look at actual salary / money and not cap hit, Trouba was due to make $6 million this season and $6 million next season

- Trouba and NYR sign a new contract that is for 2 years and $5 million dollars per season (therefore also $5.0m cap hit). Trouba is losing $2 million here in actual money.

- NYR trade Trouba ($5m cap hit) to the Islanders with 30% retention (NYR pay $1.5m cap hit and Islanders pay $3.5m cap hit) in exchange for Scott Mayfield (6 years at $3.5m cap hit). NYR also send the Islanders a 2nd round pick and either a prospect or another pick.

- NYR open up $3.0m in cap space by trading Trouba (and picks/prospects) out for Mayfield and a 2 year long $1.5m salary retention. Islanders do not add or lose cap space, but they downgrade 6 years of Mayfield for 2 years of Trouba. They are compensated a 2nd round pick and a prospect/pick for doing so. Trouba and his family stay in the NYC area for the next two seasons, which is what's important to them, but at the cost of Trouba losing $1m in salary each season (total loss $2 million).

Trouba is giving up $2 million… why?

He doesn’t want to leave NY. They want him to leave for cap purposes.

So I ask… why would Jacob Trouba give up $2m in real money for something he doesn’t want to have happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad