Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Wennberg-Celebrini-Toffoli
Smith-Sturm-Kostin
Grundstrom-Goodrow-Dellandrea
Afanaseyev-Couture-Kunin
Bordeleau

That's a lot of forwards. I guess Bordeleau goes down and Couture is on IR. IDK what you do after that. Kunin only getting one year isn't a good sign for him. Could see him and Sturm getting moved somehow. Dellandrea, Afanaseyev, Grundstrom, and Kunin aren't so good that they can lock down a lineup spot. Maybe there are plans to load manage Celebrini and Smith.

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
Eklund - Celebrini - Toffoli
Granlund - Smith - Zetterlund
Kostin - Wennberg - Dellandrea
Grundstrom - Sturm - Kunin
Goodrow - Couture

Hear me out. Hard match the Wennberg line against top comp, and let Sturm/Celebrini lines take medium comp. Shelter the hell out of the Smith line, let them play all-out offense. Granlund is the Perrault and Zetterlund is the Leonard of the BC freshmen line.

In reality, this will never happen. But in fantasy GM land, I want to see what Smith can do with strong linemates.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Grundstrom - Sturm - Kunin
Goodrow - Couture

Hear me out. Hard match the Wennberg line against top comp, and let Sturm/Celebrini lines take medium comp. Shelter the hell out of the Smith line, let them play all-out offense. Granlund is the Perrault and Zetterlund is the Leonard of the BC freshmen line.

In reality, this will never happen. But in fantasy GM land, I want to see what Smith can do with strong linemates.
I think this is pretty close to the optimal forward lineup.

Our primary goal this season, beyond being more competitive within games, should be maximizing Celebrini and Smith's success.

Letting Wennberg, Sturm and Goodrow soak up all the toughest minutes and defensive zone draws is the best way to accomplish that.

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
Bordoleau looked much better by the eye test during his last call-up last season. We really want to throw him back into the AHL when he showed some - albeit mild - potential as a 3rd liner?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Bordoleau looked much better by the eye test during his last call-up last season. We really want to throw him back into the AHL when he showed some - albeit mild - potential as a 3rd liner?
Yes. He stinks. Time to move on. We literally have 20 better forward prospects at this point.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Yeah the NHL contracts signed by Grier have clearly pushed Gush and Bords to full time AHL duty. Maybe if they are as good as everyone thinks they can help lead the Cuda to the playoffs.

Hint: they are not.

Reactions: Hodge

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Borderleau should absolutely be getting ice time for the Sharks all of next season. Especially over Graf, Grundstrom, and Afanasyev.
Graf and Afanasyev will both be in the AHL to start the season and Grundstrom will be the 13/14th forward.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Graf and Afanasyev will both be in the AHL to start the season and Grundstrom will be the 13/14th forward.
Afanasyev would have to pass through waivers for that to be the case, and also might choose to leave for the KHL if he doesn't get his NHL shot.

I'd like to see him get a chance, considering his profile and AHL success. I do think we have guys in the bottom six who could yet get flipped: I'd probably say Sturm, Grundstrom, and Kunin are the most likely candidates in terms of what they'd offer other teams (and considering their salaries). We'll see where teams stand after the frenzy is over and they take stock.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Afanasyev - Goodrow - Kunin
Grundstrom 13th forward

Trade Sturm
Couture on IR
Bords in AHL
Graf in AHL

I could be down for this.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Maybe time for Grier to put Goodrow back on waivers and shred that Kunin contract? :sarcasm:

Also, just my two cents, but there is no way Smith should be playing meaningful minutes at center next season with Granlund and Wennberg on wing.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Afanasyev would have to pass through waivers for that to be the case, and also might choose to leave for the KHL if he doesn't get his NHL shot.

I'd like to see him get a chance, considering his profile and AHL success. I do think we have guys in the bottom six who could yet get flipped: I'd probably say Sturm, Grundstrom, and Kunin are the most likely candidates in terms of what they'd offer other teams (and considering their salaries). We'll see where teams stand after the frenzy is over and they take stock.
I would sign Afanasyev to a 1 way $1.75 million deal that would be unappealing for teams to claim for an unproven player. This would allow him to clear waivers If needed.

Pete Taylor

Dec 11, 2017
Afanasyev - Goodrow - Kunin
Grundstrom 13th forward

Trade Sturm
Couture on IR
Bords in AHL
Graf in AHL

I could be down for this.
This is fire, literally a complete overhaul of our lineup. 4/12 of the forwards we have were the ones that we started last year with. 2/3rds of the forward group is different. A lot more defensive acumen, size, and grit. You can start to see an identity building.

I imagine that Greir is looking to make a move with some of the excess forwards that we have, to add on defense.

Regardless, it has already been an extremely successful off-season already, probably with more to come.

Reactions: Chinaski89

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I feel like the D is gonna be addressed by trade. Use the fallout from 7/1 to snag a guy on a team squeezed by the cap, like Fabbro, Whitecloud, TVR, whoever.

This team is one top-4 RD away from being an excellent offseason.
I really think Trouba will be stubborn and no team that is not on his no-trade list will pay an asset for him.

So he gets waived. Picked up by the Sharks and that concludes a perfect offseason by Grier. Maybe a Ferraro for a 1st trade would be the cherry on top.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I really think Trouba will be stubborn and no team that is not on his no-trade list will pay an asset for him.

So he gets waived. Picked up by the Sharks and that concludes a perfect offseason by Grier. Maybe a Ferraro for a 1st trade would be the cherry on top.
I’d rather end up with someone like Fabbro or Whitecloud honestly but if that’s the best we can do I wouldn’t be mad.

I have a totally crazy conspiracy theory right now: with Vegas, St. Louis, Anaheim, and Buffalo all being really quiet, I wonder if the Alex Pietrangelo rumors are true and Anaheim/St. Louis/Buffalo are trying to acquire him. Detroit and NYR have also been quiet, so I assume the Trouba trade talks are still on.

Reactions: TealManV

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Grier should be done adding FWs.

Sharks

Eklund (F1, 5’10”) - Celebrini (F2, 6’0”) - Toffoli (F3, 6’0”)

Granlund (F3, 5’10”) - Smith (F2, 6’0”) - Zetterlund (F1, 5’11”)

This is the scoring top 6. For all the talk of Grier loving his size this top 6 is more about skill with no players above 6’0”.

Kostin (F1, 6’3”) - Wennberg (F2, 6’2”) - Dellandrea (F3, 6’0”)

Goodrow (F1, 6’2”) - Sturm (F2, 6’3”) - Kunin (F1, 6’0”)

Grunstrom (F1, 6’0”), Afanasyev (F1/3, 6’2”)

The bottom 6 and scratches all have size with of them at least as big as everyone in the top 6.

Couture (F3, 6’1”) if healthy can slot in for Kostin and solidify the bottom 6. This would allow Afanasyev to hopefully pass through waivers to play with the Cuda.

Couture and Kostin would be the first choices to fill in for a top 6 injury. G Smith and Bailey can be called up for press box duty if there is an injury.

Cuda

Guschin - Bystedt - Graf
Bordeleau - Edstrom? - Cardwell
Afanasyev - Robbins - Halttunen/Coe
G Smith - ?? - Bailey

Maybe Halttunen would be better off in London but I just love the potential with this lineup. It is very young and prospect heavy but this allows the Sharks development staff to get to work closely either this group.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Is trading Ferraro for Spencer Knight a terrible idea?

Not sure the Panthers would do it but they need another top 4 dman more than a $4.5M backup goalie.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Is trading Ferraro for Spencer Knight a terrible idea?

Not sure the Panthers would do it but they need another top 4 dman more than a $4.5M backup goalie.
That’s a tough one. I believe in the talent and it seems like he’s been able to manage his OCD lately, but he also wasn’t very good in the AHL last season. I think he might be waiver eligible, but I’m not 100% sure. I’d probably do it because the contract is only two more years and if he really can’t cut it you can let him go. But it’s risky.

Regarding Fabbro:

I wonder if there’s a way to get him and Askarov. Maybe one of Bystedt/Edstrom, Thrun, Bordeleau?

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
That’s a tough one. I believe in the talent and it seems like he’s been able to manage his OCD lately, but he also wasn’t very good in the AHL last season. I think he might be waiver eligible, but I’m not 100% sure. I’d probably do it because the contract is only two more years and if he really can’t cut it you can let him go. But it’s risky.

Regarding Fabbro:

I wonder if there’s a way to get him and Askarov. Maybe one of Bystedt/Edstrom, Thrun, Bordeleau?
Askarov and Schenn for Bystedt, Bordeleau + 2nd would be excellent. Throw in Sturm or something too.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Maybe Halttunen would be better off in London but I just love the potential with this lineup. It is very young and prospect heavy but this allows the Sharks development staff to get to work closely either this group.
I don't believe Halttunen can play in the AHL next season. NHL, OHL, or Europe for him.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad