How devastating is it losing a game 7 for the Stanley Cup?

Ignatius

Connor McCaitlin Clark
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Upon losing game 7 I'm just curious to know if the Edmonton fan base will burn down their own village? I just want them to prove to Vancouver that they can do it better

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
As a player who knows as a fan it eats away at you. 94 and 2011 still sting.
I'd imagine 2011 would be worse.

94 team lost to a much better team imo.

2011 team left alot to be desired. Even though they got to game 7, the only series they truly were great in was the WCF. There were signs early on (Chiago & Nashville series) of issues.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I still think about losing game 6 (and eventually game 7) at home in 2001 to Colorado. I saw my team lift the Cup just a year prior, I got to witness my team lift a Stanley Cup in person two years later, but it doesn't matter. Agonizing.

I'm a Yankee fan. Spoiled beyond belief as a fan who got to witness his team win 5 World Series. Didn't matter. Doesn't matter. 2001 Diamondbacks series broke me to my absolute core, even more than 2004.

The fact that it's a game 7 makes it 94304830493284x worse in a way that you cannot understand unless you've experienced it. I don't cry over the 2003 loss to the Marlins. I don't cry over the Devils 2012 loss to the Kings.

But the Avalanche series and the Diamondbacks series will be replayed in my head with my dying breath.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Just look at what happened to Edmonton after 2006. Had to trade Pronger, signed Horcoff and others to bloated deals, overrated Kevin Lowe's GM abilities, and began a precipitous slide from the heights of that run to Tambellini's reign of error, Chiarelli's truly mind-blowing incompetence, and the constant flood of doubt and sour grapes from other fanbases chirping about Yakupov, Hall and the NHL rigging the lottery so Edmonton (lol) could get McDavid.

Losing is bad, no question about it.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
2019 Blues - Bruins. Drank whiskey with my old house man until I blacked out. Had to catch a flight next morning early from Boston to New York and needless to say I got a lot of grins and laughter my way while hungover and waiting in JFK to board another flight for Finland.

Ended up watching the Sean Avery piece on IG at an airport bar of him threatening everyone in Southie while he'd watched the game with a skin-care mask on.

Would not recommend.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Detroit fans were mad as f*** for a decade fwiw.
I'm still mad about it.

You have the chance to be the first team going back to back since 1998 and you score a whopping TWO GOALS in the last two games of the series!?

Reactions: Turin

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
For the players it's probably pretty devastating.

As a fan, doesn't bother me because I don't have any influence on the outcome.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'd imagine 2011 would be worse.

94 team lost to a much better team imo.

2011 team left alot to be desired. Even though they got to game 7, the only series they truly were great in was the WCF. There were signs early on (Chiago & Nashville series) of issues.
94 hurts because they were playing above their head and well I was a kid. That team had heart and gave everything. 2011 well injuries and Thomas derailed us. When your a fan waiting since 82 it's gonna sting.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
I'm still not over 2009. Like someone said earlier, I played the "what if" game countless times to try to feel better about the outcome.

• Wow
Reactions: Dog

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Boston pizza out of Edmonton has announced a plan the parade promotion.

They are begging the hockey gods to strike the oilers down!
Boston Pizza is hell. Don't eat there.

This is an unknown for a Seantors fan as we lost in 5 to Ducks and that was incredibly tough to swallow, especially the Phillips own goal. But it has to be gutting for the players who end up with nothing and then have to do another 82-game grind to even make the playoffs. Hockey is trully a hellscape with its 82-game season and 3 months of elimnation hockey.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
2001 was a stomach punch since the Devils had a chance to win Game 6 at home. Being the defending champion maybe took a little bit of the sting off. Taking a step back as a hockey fan, I could appreciate Ray Bourque getting the Cup as a moment they'd show for years.

And perhaps retroactively the 2003 Cup kinda washed away memories of 2001. Maybe also helped that I was still in college so I had to focus on final exams and couldn't dwell on the loss too badly. As I remember it, Game 7 in 2001 was on a Sunday and finals week started the next day for me.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Teams with no cup have fanbases who never experienced what it is like to win before. Their minds are wired to accept defeat prior to any series. If I'm a Buffalo bills fan, I'd expect to lose in the superbowl. Look at the recent history vs the chiefs. Bills found a way to choke and mahomes finds a way to lead a comeback back to back years.

In 2011, a bunch of canuck fans told me prior to playing Boston, we never expected to be here. We will be happy even if we lose.

I doubt you feel a thing. Look at the Sabres. They got jobbed by Brett hull's foot in the blue paint. Their only cup appearance. Nobody ever remembers that and if you talk to Sabres fans, they will be like, as expected, we never win a thing.
I’ve been a Kings fan a long time. I can tell you losing in 2012 would have messed me up a lot more than losing in 2014. After 2012, accepting defeat was a lot easier because I knew I experienced a Cup win in my lifetime which is all I wanted. Everything else is the cherry on top.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
It wasn't their only cup appearance, our cousins made it in 1975 - very quickly after being an expansion team. But just keep going this is hilarious.

I miss the days when EDM was hoping 1 of the 100 1st overall picks they got would finally work out.

Atleast we've gotten to game 7 without such overwhelming fortune being necessary.
Nedved ahead of jagr in the draft basically dug the canucks into a big hole. The canucks had many opportunities to buy a cup in the 90s signing mogilny and messier. Canuck fans always make it sound like they are the victims when they had their chances to buy a cup. Oilers had some lousy drafting years in bad draft years. That yakupov draft year was a black hole. The media made it sound like Taylor hall was the second coming of lemieux when in fact that year was terrible.

The only real canuck team was in 1982. The 2011 team was an anomaly. The canucks traded to get the sedins that draft year. You guys had your chance. Luongo was a top pick. The stars aligned where Chicago nearly came back from 0-3. Bonehead giveaway to burrows in OT messed it up. Canucks that year basically fluked their way to the finals so they played with house money.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad