Value of: How can Nashville snag Suzuki from Montreal?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Suzuki means more to Montreal than Nashville should be willing to pay.

His offense (up to this point in his career) is roughly on par with peak Ryan Johansen. Like peak Ryan Johansen, he can play the role of 1C but in all actuality is somewhere in the middle to bottom 1/3rd of production for what is considered a 1C. Also like peak Ryan Johansen, the team he is on just doesnt have any better options currently available so trading him doesnt make sense for them. Suzuki like peak Ryan Johansen is young so theyre going to hope that he can continue to grow and maybe find that next level. Hopefully for Montreal, Suzuki doesnt follow the path of peak ryan johansen and doesnt get hampered by injuries and an evolving game gearing more towards speed. Either way, nashville needs to either draft a C or pay the outlandish cost for an eichel/AM tier c

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Hard to imagine any reasonable return that would get the Habs to consider it. Suzuki's value to the Habs is far greater than his "paper" value.

But to play along...

To Mtl
Duchene, Askarov, 1st '23, Schaefer

To Nash
Suzuki, Gallagher

The combined value of shedding Gallagher's term, landing a legit/elite #1G prospect, adding a large framed top 9 wing prospect plus the 1st and a decent stop gap C for the ongoing rebuild, probably gets Hughes to listen... On the flip side, can't imagine the Preds willing to give up that much nor get saddled with Gally's deal. But that's the kind of price it would likely take... Safe to say Suzuki will be with the Habs for years to come.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Hard to imagine any reasonable return that would get the Habs to consider it. Suzuki's value to the Habs is far greater than his "paper" value.

But to play along...

To Mtl
Duchene, Askarov, 1st '23, Schaefer

To Nash
Suzuki, Gallagher

The combined value of shedding Gallagher's term, landing a legit/elite #1G prospect, adding a large framed top 9 wing prospect plus the 1st and a decent stop gap C for the ongoing rebuild, probably gets Hughes to listen... On the flip side, can't imagine the Preds willing to give up that much nor get saddled with Gally's deal. But that's the kind of price it would likely take... Safe to say Suzuki will be with the Habs for years to come.
take duchene and gallagher out and it's not bad.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Honestly, you'd be taking one of the worst contracts in the league off their hands, so anything should do.

He's a fine, mediocre second line center who's overpaid by roughly four million, so throw out any kind of offer and a wise GM would take it.

Exactly. Suzuki is yet another second line center forced into a first line role in the long tradition of Koivu, Pleky, and Gomez with the first two being distinctly superior to him.

God, if Suzuki is Montreal's answer to the number one center position, they had better be ready for another wasted decade.

What contracts are you comparing it to in order to get to your number?

Evolving Hockey, which is usually pretty spot on, has him at more than 7.875m for this off-season. You’re suggested ~3.875m might be a tad low.

FC4680DD-2D9D-420F-9358-41940CD28DCB.jpeg

6BA55C87-6C6E-4CD5-BB43-EEFD3371D153.jpeg

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Honestly, you'd be taking one of the worst contracts in the league off their hands, so anything should do.

He's a fine, mediocre second line center who's overpaid by roughly four million, so throw out any kind of offer and a wise GM would take it.

Exactly. Suzuki is yet another second line center forced into a first line role in the long tradition of Koivu, Pleky, and Gomez with the first two being distinctly superior to him.

God, if Suzuki is Montreal's answer to the number one center position, they had better be ready for another wasted decade.
Who do you see as comparable players making ~4m through their 20s?

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
Preds 2023 1st +Fabbro + Schaefer

Montreal gets picks and a pretty good RD to shore up their Terrible Right side and a young big prospect that will make Anderson redundant in a year or two.
I know we’ve had our hiccups, but I appreciate you taking the thread seriously and coming up with a good trade

Reactions: Xirik

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I know we’ve had our hiccups, but I appreciate you taking the thread seriously and coming up with a good trade
Except it’s not a good trade for Montreal. They lose their young 1C (and captain) with no replacement. A “pretty good” RD a mid round pick and a left wing prospect (a position Montréal has depth in with their prospect pool) does not replace a 1C

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He has yet to prove that hes a #1C so I wouldn't overpay for him.

His production is at 2C levels and while he may have the potential to be a bonafide #1C... hes not as of today.
Never realized that Eichel is considered a 2C level player.

His offer stinks .

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Debatble.
Not a debate Koivu was 10x the player of Gomez he was a scrub when he played on Montreal. Koivu was better then Suzuki and I think everyone would agree with that. I actually don’t understand how you can make a debate to say otherwise

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Not a debate Koivu was 10x the player of Gomez he was a scrub when he played on Montreal. Koivu was better then Suzuki and I think everyone would agree with that. I actually don’t understand how you can make a debate to say otherwise
Now we have a Leaf fan trying to educate others on Hab players.
This board and its posters.:laugh:

Vinny1983

Jun 23, 2021
I didn’t read all the replies but those that base their opinion on Suzuki solely on points has no legitimate reason to even comment about him. MTL had the most injured players (in terms of games missed) over the last 2 seasons and he was still able to produce with AHL call-ups or scraps like Hoffman.

His hockey IQ is one of the best I’ve seen of late which I feel is MUCH more important than breaking scoring records, and he’s only 23. Is he “a 2C at best” as some say? Maybe.. but he’s the Habs’ best shot at a 1C since Koivu (who should’ve been a 2C) and since Damphousse (true 1C)

Also: people really need to stop with PLD. I personally don’t see the hype. He doesn’t show up every game which alone would frustrate the fans and management. We tried the Quebec French star and failed miserably with Drouin, at the expense of a blue chip D in Sergachev.

To conclude, as someone stated earlier, it would take a mind blowing offer to give up a solid player on a very reasonable contract with term.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
At the draft, if Montreal has a center they like, what would they like from Nashville for Nick Suzuki?

Listen, I’ve talked to Montreal fans and they said he’s as close to untouchable as you can get; however, if a center is available he may be moved at a overprice.

Let’s have some fun here and come up with creative trades.

Cheers guys, let’s keep it classy here.
Well, they can send initiate a CIA style coup, and then reinstall Bergevin.

After that Bergevin can trade Suzuki for Johansen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad