Value of: How can Nashville snag Suzuki from Montreal?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I’m trying to come up with one single reason why the Habs would trade Suzuki and I simply can’t.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Nashville doesn’t have the assets to pry the 70th leading scorer out of Montreal?

Okay then…
That's pretty misleading. The guy could be a 90+ point player but he is a very strong 2 way player that does everything for the team including kills PK's. Barring a serious over pay, it makes no sense to trade him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Not a debate Koivu was 10x the player of Gomez he was a scrub when he played on Montreal. Koivu was better then Suzuki and I think everyone would agree with that. I actually don’t understand how you can make a debate to say otherwise
I dont disagree Koivu was a better Hab.

I thought you were talking career wise.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I didn’t read all the replies but those that base their opinion on Suzuki solely on points has no legitimate reason to even comment about him. MTL had the most injured players (in terms of games missed) over the last 2 seasons and he was still able to produce with AHL call-ups or scraps like Hoffman.

His hockey IQ is one of the best I’ve seen of late which I feel is MUCH more important than breaking scoring records, and he’s only 23. Is he “a 2C at best” as some say? Maybe.. but he’s the Habs’ best shot at a 1C since Koivu (who should’ve been a 2C) and since Damphousse (true 1C)

Also: people really need to stop with PLD. I personally don’t see the hype. He doesn’t show up every game which alone would frustrate the fans and management. We tried the Quebec French star and failed miserably with Drouin, at the expense of a blue chip D in Sergachev.

To conclude, as someone stated earlier, it would take a mind blowing offer to give up a solid player on a very reasonable contract with term.

The larger reason that Montreal won't trade Suzuki is that I don't think Montreal even knows exactly what they have in him.

The last two seasons he's literally been the only Hab to play the full 82 games. Hell, in each season, he's been one of two players to play over 70 games. He's basically been an island unto himself for the last two seasons.

He's the captain, he's locked up long term, he's young AND has experience playing a key role in a playoff run. Its possible that he's "a 2C at best"., but there isn't a good reason to trade him. There's no pressure on Montreal to consider a trade. And Nashville's best players/pieces are either to old to fit Montreal's potential window or aren't what Montreal would be looking for. The only potential basis for a deal from a Montreal POV would be Askarov+ and I don't see any way both teams would agree on a plus.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
At the draft, if Montreal has a center they like, what would they like from Nashville for Nick Suzuki?

Listen, I’ve talked to Montreal fans and they said he’s as close to untouchable as you can get; however, if a center is available he may be moved at a overprice.

Let’s have some fun here and come up with creative trades.

Cheers guys, let’s keep it classy here.

Indeed, nothing short of an overpayment would be required; Nashville would need to package at least Askarov + NSH’s 2023 1st (#15) to start the discussion.

For instance, Askarov + #15 + #46 for Suzuki + Wideman

The Habs then use either #15 or #29 as the main asset for PLD and roll with:

Caufield - Dubois - Roy/Slafkovsky
Slafkovsky/Roy - Dach - Anderson/2023 1st
RHP/Heineman - Dvorak/Beck - Gallagher/Anderson
Ylonen/Heineman - Evans/Belzile - Armia/Ylonen

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Barron
Harris - Savard
Kovacevic

Montembault
Askarov

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Suzuki was instrumental in habs last two surprising playoffs performances, including a SCF. He was the best Habs forward in these runs.

And he was 21 and 22 yo back then. He's as pressure proof as they come.

Yes he's not the biggest point producer, but he was on a +/- ppg pace when Caufield got injured. After that, his 1st line was a carrousel of bottom feeders and AHLers.
He's not the biggest point producer, but he's a complete center that can eat a lot of minutes, the toughest minutes.

So when I see some stats watchers looking down on him, well, you guys don't know what you're talking about. That's hockey, a collective sport, not an individual sport.

In terms of playing style, Suzuki is in the Bergeron/Kopitar/Toews category.

The kind of center you win the cup with.

But you guys stats watchers can touch yourself in front of a Matthews poster.
You should love this guy as he put tons of points, but can't play the kind of hockey that makes you win championships..

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Montréal will not trade Suzuki right now.
He will not be traded before 3 years minimum. And it depend if Montréal can get Dubois and a reel no 1 Center via draft this years. Bring the young in 2 years under a minimum contract after it will be a question of Cap Space and they will choosing between all high salary and maybe trade one

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
You think at 23 he’s done developing? Their core is just coming into firm. Maybe have a bit of patience before deciding what his entire career is destined to be. He played with AHL call ups due to injuries for much of the season and still put up career numbers
Considering he's proven next to nothing at this juncture and spent the last year clinging to the coattails of a star in Caufield, coasting on terrible play and an unsustainable shooting percentage that tanked back to normal towards the end of the year, and has otherwise had an anemic career, I don't know why anyone is expecting something from him.

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Considering he's proven next to nothing at this juncture and spent the last year clinging to the coattails of a star in Caufield, coasting on terrible play and an unsustainable shooting percentage that tanked back to normal towards the end of the year, and has otherwise had an anemic career, I don't know why anyone is expecting something from him.
Lol. If you say so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad