TV: House of the Dragon (HBO) - Season 2 - Summer 2024, please use spoil tags where it makes sense

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I don't mind build up episodes. But as others have said, the dialogue/acting isn't particularly great. I think watching GOT side by side with this isn't doing me any favors. They're just on very different levels when it comes to the dialogue.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
These characters are such a bore. I can name 5-10 GOT characters I think are more than a step above the best in HOTD. And many became hits after just a single season or two.

Saw a reddit comment saying how all the characters in HOTD seem like a different version of Stannis and its so true. Stannis was a great character in GOT because of who he was surrounded by and the other characters in the world. In a world full of Stannises, it sucks.
That's a really good way to put it. HOTD put all their dragon eggs into the drama/tension. They didn't really give many scenes into making us laugh/care about these characters. The result is rather weak characters I don't think many people care that much about. I've heard similar complaints from a few friends now and I can't disagree.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I don't mind build up episodes. But as others have said, the dialogue/acting isn't particularly great. I think watching GOT side by side with this isn't doing me any favors. They're just on very different levels when it comes to the dialogue.

That's a really good way to put it. HOTD put all their dragon eggs into the drama/tension. They didn't really give many scenes into making us laugh/care about these characters. The result is rather weak characters I don't think many people care that much about. I've heard similar complaints from a few friends now and I can't disagree.

Yeah I think that was a little inevitable with the difference in styles of books. GoT(ASOIAF) was much more narrative and character driven, with chapters dedicated to individual characters all being told concurrently. Much easier to build scenes for a TV show when you have scenes and dialogue from a book to borrow from.

Fire and Blood IIRC was basically entirely a historical retelling through the words of a Maester, with limited insight into the characters involved as it's from a 3rd person POV. There's still lots of scenes and events to draw from but the actual dialogue fine detail just isn't as rich as GoT got to take from. Much more work for a writers room to build these scenes and characters from just a general idea of them.

Last edited:

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Yeah I think that was a little inevitable with the difference in styles of books. GoT(ASOIAF) was much more narrative and character driven, with chapters dedicated to individual characters all being told concurrently. Much easier to build scenes for a TV show when you have scenes and dialogue from a book to borrow from.

Fire and Blood IIRC was basically entirely a historical retelling through the words of a Maester, with limited insight into the characters involved as it's from a 3rd person POV. There's still lots of scenes and events to draw from but the actual dialogue fine detail just isn't as rich as GoT got to draw from. Much more work for a writers room to build these scenes and characters from just a general idea of them.
I think we’re seeing the same thing in this series, as we saw when GOT overpassed the books - GRRM is a fantastic fantasy writer, and the HBO writers room are not.

(Which is honestly expected)

Reactions: Kurtz

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

Fire and Blood IIRC was basically entirely a historical retelling through the words of a Maester, with limited insight into the characters involved as it's from a 3rd person POV. There's still lots of scenes and events to draw from but the actual dialogue fine detail just isn't as rich as GoT got to take from. Much more work for a writers room to build these scenes and characters from just a general idea of them.
That's true. I didn't read either series past the first book of GOT. I'm tempted to go back and read the rest but I just can't bring myself to do it knowing the series will likely never finish.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
You hear that GRRM, you are a FANTASTIC WRITER.

Now, just come on and

3d7da29d-0691-45ce-9537-36f81e6b661b_text.gif

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
That's true. I didn't read either series past the first book of GOT. I'm tempted to go back and read the rest but I just can't bring myself to do it knowing the series will likely never finish.

It's frustrating for sure, I've hit the acceptance stage of grief. George seems more focused on his fantasy football blog or whatever.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Pivoting off the current discussion a bit. Anyone else find Jacerys' two hands on the hilt pose in almost every scene he's in distracting?

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Another good episode.

Mysaria is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Wonder if Rhaenyra knows about her sons and niece are going to pentos. Something seems fishy with that.

Was not expecting that scene between Rhaenyra and Mysaria. Seems like risky business with Daemond still in the fold, Seems like someone could get hurt

The whole seasmoke thing got spoiled for me because of stupid IG. But still cool. Seasmoke looks badass as well. Not as cool as maelys and carexes though.

Aemond is a sick f*** but we kinda all knew that. Wonder what Lord Larys has in mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Why does Alyn have blond hair but Addam doesn't?

Sea Smoke picking their rider :laugh:

Aemond going way too hard. Can't imagine that works out for him.

Lots of storylines in this episode. Sucks there is only two episodes left this season...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Another good episode.

Wonder if Rhaenyra knows about her sons and niece are going to pentos. Something seems fishy with that.

Was not expecting that scene between Rhaenyra and Mysaria. Seems like risky business with Dasmond still in the fold, Seems like someone could get hurt

The whole sea smoke got spoiled for me because if stupid IG. But still cool. Sea smoke looks badass as well. Not as cool as maelys and carexes though.

Aemond is a sick f*** but we kinda all knew that. Wonder what Lord Larry’s has in mind.
Is Dasmond the knight who told her about seasmoke taking a rider? Because he’s giving Mysaria the evil eye. And I don’t like it.

• Haha
Reactions: Sad People

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
We shouldn’t have to wait 2 years though for the next season right?

It also seems like Daemond is finally realizing how much of a selfish brother he was to his family.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Another good episode.

Was not expecting that scene between Rhaenyra and Mysaria. Seems like risky business with Daemond still in the fold, Seems like someone could get hurt

The whole seasmoke thing got spoiled for me because of stupid IG. But still cool. Seasmoke looks badass as well. Not as cool as maelys and carexes though.

Aemond is a sick f*** but we kinda all knew that. Wonder what Lord Larys has in mind.

It was Rhaenyra's idea to send the two youngest to Pentos.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Pivoting off the current discussion a bit. Anyone else find Jacerys' two hands on the hilt pose in almost every scene he's in distracting?

Someone theorized it's him trying to mimic being a tough guy like Daemon.

What's more distracting is him constantly serving face. He always has the model pout on as if he is in Zoolander

Reactions: HanSolo

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Much better dialogue in this episode than the last one imo. I feel like I need to rewatch season 1 though because half the time I have no idea who these lords/other characters are

Reactions: Rob

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

The second and third books are good reads. The 4th and 5th books are rough, but you very quickly begin to learn why the show ran into issued in season 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad