TV: House of the Dragon (HBO) - Season 2 - Summer 2024, please use spoil tags where it makes sense

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
It’s been glaring to me how much Paddy Considine (and Milly Alcock to a lesser extent) hard carried season 1.

The only characters this season whose presence commanded your attention have been either MIA a majority of the time (Otto) or relegated to the burn unit (Aegon).

Like, I get what they’re doing with Daemon and can appreciate it, but you’ve got 8 episodes to work with and you sent one of your more compelling characters on a season long acid trip.

Cautiously optimistic for a big bounce back in the final 2 episodes at this point.
I'm sure we'll get a lot more action these last two episodes. I just hoped more of the season would be more interesting than it has been.

Daemon's storyline is boring me to death. Rhanaeyra scenes with her counsel aren't much better. The most interesting storyline to me this season has been the KL stuff and even that probably couldn't hold a candle to GOT's weaker storylines.

The show is starting to feel like it had 1-2 seasons of content that they're trying to stretch for 3-4 seasons.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I'm sure we'll get a lot more action these last two episodes. I just hoped more of the season would be more interesting than it has been.

Daemon's storyline is boring me to death. Rhanaeyra scenes with her counsel aren't much better. The most interesting storyline to me this season has been the KL stuff and even that probably couldn't hold a candle to GOT's weaker storylines.

The show is starting to feel like it had 1-2 seasons of content that they're trying to stretch for 3-4 seasons.
I completely agree with all this. The Daemon stuff is beyond boring and annoying. Arguably my favorite character last season but can't stand him now. Comes across as pathetic and stupid which maybe he is.

As for Rhaneyra, D'Arcys acting has been weak but the characters storyline bothers me more. She's always complaining that her council etc. don't respect but her leadership has been awful. Her plan to go see Alicent was incredibly risky/dumb and nearly caused her small council to implode. Her answer to almost every problem is to grab her dragon and go fight when that's obviously a bad decision. She would've got killed by Aemond/Vhager had Rhaenys not talked some sense into her. And what's she gonna do now? Go fight Seasmoke when she doesn't even know who's riding it. Why would she assume it's the Greens lol, that makes no sense. She actually thinks one of the Greens snuck onto Dragonstone and tamed Seasmoke lol. Good looking girl but she's got rocks between her ears.

Reactions: LarKing

fin8

Apr 10, 2010
sault.ste.marie,on
I really want to like this show more than I do. The production level and my interest in the world will keep me watching, but it's just...boring. The dragons are cool when they show up, but the political intrigue is lame, the characters are lame, the story is just so slow and the characters/actors/writing aren't compelling enough to carry it. Hopefully when the war really gets going it will be better, but I find myself getting bored watching, with just occasional moments of entertainment, it's definitely not on GoT's level.
I fully agree. I enjoyed the first series way more than this one. Like you said, mostly boring…

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I think GOT needed more of what we have gotten with Daemon this season.

Character doing some actual introspection, seeing his flaws, and potentially growing past them.

I am the King. The King does not need...introspection. I am the King! Now, wanna see my crossbow?

1721792217764.gif

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Honestly I think it's fine. The dialog benefits when Otto is involved, but otherwise, I like what they're building. I haven't read any of the books, so the lore, political dancing and character development are just great Sunday Night entertainment for me. I'm not gonna pretend like its the best show I've ever watched, but I'm still excited every Sunday

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I really want to like this show more than I do. The production level and my interest in the world will keep me watching, but it's just...boring. The dragons are cool when they show up, but the political intrigue is lame, the characters are lame, the story is just so slow and the characters/actors/writing aren't compelling enough to carry it. Hopefully when the war really gets going it will be better, but I find myself getting bored watching, with just occasional moments of entertainment, it's definitely not on GoT's level.

There is more to a good show than dragon battles. I think the political intrigue is great and love all the scenes of the Green council although the council on Dragonstone could be better. 80% of this show is going to be political intrigue and people talking even when the war is in full swing as it appears they only have enough budget to do 1-2 battles a season (and there's nothing wrong with that).

Personally I am liking it as much if not more than GoT, people need to adjust their expectations and stop expecting battles and dragons every episode, even with HBO budget there is a limit to how much you can do that.

Reactions: Rob

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I think GOT needed more of what we have gotten with Daemon this season.

Character doing some actual introspection, seeing his flaws, and potentially growing past them.
I can certainly appreciate character development but they don't need to drag it out for the entire season. It'll be nice to not see Daemon act like the pathetic baby he's been all season but it still took Harrenhall being haunted to make him change as opposed to actual introspection. It was also Alys Rivers who is getting things going with the Riverman. If not for her, Daemon would still be spinning his tires. GOT did have several characters who saw their flaws and changed.

Fwiw, I'm still really enjoying this show and think it's better than almost every other show going right now. Definitely not as good as the early GOT seasons though imo.

Reactions: Tuggy

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
There is more to a good show than dragon battles. I think the political intrigue is great and love all the scenes of the Green council although the council on Dragonstone could be better. 80% of this show is going to be political intrigue and people talking even when the war is in full swing as it appears they only have enough budget to do 1-2 battles a season (and there's nothing wrong with that).

Personally I am liking it as much if not more than GoT, people need to adjust their expectations and stop expecting battles and dragons every episode, even with HBO budget there is a limit to how much you can do that.

I think I was unclear, I want there to be more than dragons. The dragons should be an ancillary part of the show, my problem is they're the only part of the show I find consistently good. The politics are boring, the scheming is not compelling (for what little scheming there is), the conversations are boring and obvious, the characters are just dull, and everything is drawn out so that they can get four seasons in. I want political intrigue, I want scheming, that's what the Game of Thrones universe is about, this show just doesn't do it well. The writing is not up to the same quality as GoT.

GoT had scheming this way, that way, and in between, with characters who were interesting and fun to watch. This show is just people slowly going through the motions without anything interesting actually happening. Occasionally something sort of interesting happens, but then it's just right back to the mopiness. It's just a show about a bunch of mopey individuals being mopey with each other. And some dragons here and there. And Paddy Considine being great as Viserys.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I never disliked Otto, maybe it’s because Rhys Ifans played so well, but there’s also an element of that the Greens have gone from bad to worse with his ouster.

Reactions: Sombastate

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I never disliked Otto, maybe it’s because Rhys Ifans played so well, but there’s also an element of that the Greens have gone from bad to worse with his ouster.
Otto is a complete asshole, but he's more experienced at actually governing than the rest of the current Small Council put together.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I think I was unclear, I want there to be more than dragons. The dragons should be an ancillary part of the show, my problem is they're the only part of the show I find consistently good. The politics are boring, the scheming is not compelling (for what little scheming there is), the conversations are boring and obvious, the characters are just dull, and everything is drawn out so that they can get four seasons in. I want political intrigue, I want scheming, that's what the Game of Thrones universe is about, this show just doesn't do it well. The writing is not up to the same quality as GoT.

GoT had scheming this way, that way, and in between, with characters who were interesting and fun to watch. This show is just people slowly going through the motions without anything interesting actually happening. Occasionally something sort of interesting happens, but then it's just right back to the mopiness. It's just a show about a bunch of mopey individuals being mopey with each other. And some dragons here and there. And Paddy Considine being great as Viserys.
At this point in the source material, there ain't much going on. In-fact, the show has done some characters like Daemon a favor by giving them stuff to do. Everything that is going on though is setting up for the events to come. One of those important events was discussed in great detail last episode.

I personally enjoy seeing Daemon squirm and go bonkers within his own mind and being forced to find himself and discover what he really wants.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
House of the Dragon night!! Good chance this will be an insane episode which the 2nd to last ep of the season usually is.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
That last shot of the episode is honestly one of the coolest and bad*** things I’ve seen in awhile.

who Vermithor and Silverwing bonded with was spoiled for me from a stupid bait post on IG so I was expecting it but still cool to see.

What was the reddish dragon behind Rhaenyra on the last shot?

Looks like Rhaena is going after the sheepkiller whatever its name is.

2 scenes I didn’t really understand

Why was Jace so upset about Rhaenyra doing what she was doing? Does he worry for his own safety if she were to die?

Also why did the harrenhall keeper (I’m forgetting his name) go “oh no” after Daemond killed the river folk lord?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jace, you best keep Mysaria’s name out of your mouth

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I feel like the 2 maybe 3 riders could pose a potential problem. They’ve been lowborns for their entire lives and now they have all the power in the world, are they willing to throw away their new life with a dragon for someone else’s war? Rhaenyra should have made them swear an allegiance to her or something before that happened.

Reactions: Rob and Il Stugotz

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I knew that little Tully kid was playing Daemon in their first scene

Because if other Targaryen-blooded folk have dragons they may become rivals to the throne, and they actually look like Targaryens
Ahh that makes total sense thank you. Stuff like that can go over my head pretty easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad