TV: House of the Dragon (HBO) - Season 2 - Summer 2024, please use spoil tags where it makes sense

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
It was Rhaenyra's idea to send the two youngest to Pentos.
Was it? My memory is genuinely poop so i couldnt remember. But now that you bring it up it does ring a bell. Why did they end up in the Vail first? Was it just a pit stop to get to Pentos?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Didn't realize until today that Sonoya Mizuno (Mysaria) was also in both Maniac and Ex Machina.

She was also in Annihilation and Civil War (which I just watched over the weekend). All 4 are Alex Garland projects. Not sure if there is any connection there.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
Didn't realize until today that Sonoya Mizuno (Mysaria) was also in both Maniac and Ex Machina.
giphy.webp

I'm ready for Daemon's arc to move on already.
It's starting to feel like HOTD's Gendry joke. Gendry...still rowing? Daemon...yep, still hallucinating.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Why does Alyn have blond hair but Addam doesn't?

Sea Smoke picking their rider :laugh:

Aemond going way too hard. Can't imagine that works out for him.

Lots of storylines in this episode. Sucks there is only two episodes left this season...
Probably the same reason Jon Snow didn't have blond hair. Corlys' mistress didn't have Velaryon hair color. Addam inherited the hair color gene from his father, Alyn inherited his mother's like Jon inheriting Lyanna's hair color.

The dragon going hunting for its rider is amusing but it does make me wonder if the plan is to do that with Vermithor and the other dragon or if they have to try to bond the remaining dragons with prospective riders and trigger the process with more deaths first. Like would the dragons have to be prompted the same way to find their riders? And then whoever they go to, they'd have to be convinced to fight for the blacks no? I mean it's interesting enough that Alyn was chosen when he was propping up his brother under the assumption that he himself had nothing of tremendous value to contribute to the war effort and now has a chance at power and glory but who's to say the remaining "black" dragons won't find a rider loyal to the greens?

Personally I like the dichotomy between Aemond and Aegon having control over the crown's affairs. Aemond as ruler is having an effect that Aegon wanted to have had. But in the end, Alicent will probably be proven right. Neither of her boys have temperance and measured wisdom that comes with experience. Viserys probably had too much but at least he knew when to be careful. And you already see that Aemond's actions have adverse consequences with the people of King's Landing borderline rioting because he closed the gates.

Anyway more of my own thoughts:

The charity gift of food and supplies to the small folk of King's Landing was such effective propaganda work. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about Mysaria as a special advisor to Rhaenyra, but given the latter's council's old boys mentality, it's no small wonder that Mysaria is providing Rhaenyra what she is lacking...ahem...in more ways than one.

I honestly didn't mind the Aemond hallucinations story in this one. I think the thing is, yes, from what I've gathered from griping book readers online this isn't how things went and when Daemon swore fealty to and married Rhaenyra, that was-for all intents and purposes-the end of his ambitions for the throne. But if the idea is that Daemon has nothing to do while other events play out, I don't mind this season being an exploration of his psyche and an opportunity to have personal growth even if it's manufactured to fill time. I think it's absolutely in character that as soon as things got bad between him and Rhaenyra his old selfishness and ambitions would come back to the forefront and he'd exploit the opportunity in the Riverlands to set himself up as a third contender for the throne. Whether or not his visions are being generated by someone, I think this episode tipped off that Daemon is starting to understand why his claim as heir was denied, and he'll probably have his loyalty to Rhaenyra reaffirmed and reinvigorated. Which in the end would be a much needed boost to Rhaenyra's cause. Yeah it's a diversion but I don't mind it.

I thought it was big that Alicent finally worked up enough compassion for Aegon that she was able to apologize to him. She still brought a lot of this on her and her children, but interesting to see her come back to earth and realize it/internalize the magnitude of the consequences.

Aemond intimidating Aegon into staying quiet about Rook's Rest is compelling. Like Aegon is still the king and if he decides one day to expose that Aemond essentially attempted regi/fratricide, well, a lot of dramatic potential there.

Also liked that Aemond sees Larys for exactly what he is but at the same time I wonder how much of his decision to bring back Otto as hand is him planning on utilizing Otto's wisdom or how much of it is just trying to undo his brother's decisions and decrees.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Also I really liked the scene of Alicent asking her brother about her youngest son and how he's been turning out. Alicent at least considers that maybe she hasn't been a good mother. Cersei assumed Joffrey was cruel as some perhaps justified curse from the gods but as far as I remember, I don't think she ever recognized that Joffrey picked up her worst traits to an enhanced degree. I still don't respect Alicent, but I can at least appreciate her introspection and regrets.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I do wonder what Mysaria's end game is? I don't think it is some sort of treachery but I do think she is using Rhaenyra for you own benifit
She may just be looking for basic human compassion, trust, and intimacy given she was used and assaulted her whole life. Rhaenyra can relate to being in need of the same things.

She deserves whatever she wants.

Reactions: Rob

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
She was also in Annihilation and Civil War (which I just watched over the weekend). All 4 are Alex Garland projects. Not sure if there is any connection there.
She also was the lead in Devs which was a FX show created by Garland, he loves her

Reactions: Tuggy

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I do wonder what Mysaria's end game is? I don't think it is some sort of treachery but I do think she is using Rhaenyra for you own benifit
Its been mentioned in here before but she seems like she is basically a lady version of Lord Varys from GOT, her end game is to help herself and help the low born population and doesn't really care about the high borns or who is in charge, willing to work with either side.

Reactions: Rob

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Thinking back to last episode, ain't no way they kidding themselves wondering if bastards can be dragon riders or not. You had 2, now still one walking example right in front of you. Sus rhayneara or however you spell your name.

Last edited:

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Thinking back to last episode, ain't no way they kidding themselves wondering if bastards can be dragon riders or not. You had 2, now still one walking example right in front of you. Sus rhayneara or however you spell your name.
Pretty sure she is unaware of Corlys’s bastards, that’s why she has been researching other houses that might have Targ blood from farther back. I’m pretty sure if she knew of any actual current bastards she would be recruiting them already

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Pretty sure she is unaware of Corlys’s bastards, that’s why she has been researching other houses that might have Targ blood from farther back. I’m pretty sure if she knew of any actual current bastards she would be recruiting them already
I know. I'm talking about back in episode 5 when Jace suggests the idea and they ponder if it's possible a dragon would accept.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I know. I'm talking about back in episode 5 when Jace suggests the idea and they ponder if it's possible a dragon would accept.

Very true, her bastards are already dragon riders. Oversight by the writers or they are just keeping up the facade of them being legitimate?

In front of others fine, but behind closed doors...

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
It wasnt bastards, it was waterered down bloodlines. They mention how far back they had to trace a Targaryen on that guy

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I really want to like this show more than I do. The production level and my interest in the world will keep me watching, but it's just...boring. The dragons are cool when they show up, but the political intrigue is lame, the characters are lame, the story is just so slow and the characters/actors/writing aren't compelling enough to carry it. Hopefully when the war really gets going it will be better, but I find myself getting bored watching, with just occasional moments of entertainment, it's definitely not on GoT's level.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I really want to like this show more than I do. The production level and my interest in the world will keep me watching, but it's just...boring. The dragons are cool when they show up, but the political intrigue is lame, the characters are lame, the story is just so slow and the characters/actors/writing aren't compelling enough to carry it. Hopefully when the war really gets going it will be better, but I find myself getting bored watching, with just occasional moments of entertainment, it's definitely not on GoT's level.
I agree. The show is starting to lose me. This week's episode was the first time I really noticed how boring this show feels to me when there's nothing exciting happening because I don't really care about any of these characters. I feel I don't even care who wins in the end which would be fine I guess, if it was at least entertaining enough.

I think one big issue is that Emma D'Arcy is just not charismatic enough to carry the show. She's trying her best, but I don't find myself rooting for her at all. The show lost a lot of its heart and charm with Paddy Considine.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I'm convinced if this wasnt tied to GOT, or it didnt have dragons, it would be potential to not be renewed for a new season. This whole series just feels so empty. I've become so bored I'm tempting myself to just spoil and read what happens.

Someone like Aemond, just reminds me of a cartoon type villain. Theres nothing really menacing about him imo. Like compare him to Ramsey or Joffery... Shits not even close.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
My biggest problem with this season is the fact that the political intrigue is not nearly good enough to spend it spinning the tires on the buildup to the war.

Early seasons of GoT were fantastic at the slow burn whereas with HotD we’re just getting episode upon episode of Alicent and Rhaenyra pouting around because the men won’t take them seriously as women of power.

Compare this to the weakest of the elite GoT seasons (season 2). At no point at all did the buildup to the Battle of the Blackwater feel this tedious and uneventful.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Agreed with what some others are saying. It's a good show but there are no characters like Ned, Tywin, Varys, Littlefinger, Tyrion, Stannis, etc whose dialogue and writing leaves you at the edge of your seat in every scene even if it's just a personal conversation with one another about power, ruling, etc.

The actor playing Rhanaeyra makes me want to fall asleep which is a shame because the original one stole the show for me. If you took a drink every time a character whined about their position in this show, you'd be drunk practically every episode.

They need to move the plot quicker because the show just can't be carried by interesting dialogue/characters in the same way GOT often was.

Reactions: gary69

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Agreed with what some others are saying. It's a good show but there are no characters like Ned, Tywin, Varys, Littlefinger, Tyrion, Stannis, etc whose dialogue and writing leaves you at the edge of your seat in every scene even if it's just a personal conversation with one another about power, ruling, etc.

The actor playing Rhanaeyra makes me want to fall asleep which is a shame because the original one stole the show for me. If you took a drink every time a character whined about their position in this show, you'd be drunk practically every episode.

They need to move the plot quicker because the show just can't be carried by interesting dialogue/characters in the same way GOT often was.
It’s been glaring to me how much Paddy Considine (and Milly Alcock to a lesser extent) hard carried season 1.

The only characters this season whose presence commanded your attention have been either MIA a majority of the time (Otto) or relegated to the burn unit (Aegon).

Like, I get what they’re doing with Daemon and can appreciate it, but you’ve got 8 episodes to work with and you sent one of your more compelling characters on a season long acid trip.

Cautiously optimistic for a big bounce back in the final 2 episodes at this point.

Reactions: fin8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad