TV: House of the Dragon (HBO) - Season 2 - Summer 2024, please use spoil tags where it makes sense

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The top 10 in terms of size are:

1) Vhagar
2) The Cannibal
3) Vermithor
4) Dreamfyre
5) Sheepstealer
6) Caraxes
7) Meleys
8) Syrax
9) Quicksilver
10) Greyhost

Yeah that's all dragons in the world currently, just not on the Blacks or Greens currently.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
This reminds me of the complaint some folks had in GOT about Rickon not running in a zig-zag pattern to escape Ramsay Bolton's arrows.

Sometimes, in stressful situations, with adrenaline pumping, and without the benefit of hindsight, people, even smart people, don't make the optimal decisions.
Sure, but they showed her saying something to her dragon about going off to battle again, so it's not like this was her first rodeo...

Also, Rickon was just a child

I think this is more like when Jaime charged at Dany while she was standing next to Drogon...

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Sure, but they showed her saying something to her dragon about going off to battle again, so it's not like this was her first rodeo...

Also, Rickon was just a child

I think this is more like when Jaime charged at Dany while she was standing next to Drogon...

That scene is an excellent parallel. What happened there is 100% completely in line with Jamie's character - he's got more balls than brains and so it makes complete sense that in the moment, with adrenaline pumping he would make that particular decision. (what was ridiculous was what followed next - him falling into the abyss and then somehow not drowning under 100 pounds of armour...but I digress).

I think there are two spheres of chracter mistakes; one worth complaining about and one that is essential to almost any story and thus is silly to complain about.

In the former category we have something where a character makes a decision or a series of decisions that is so out of line with their established character that it is just terrible writing. Daenerys in the last season of GOT is a good example of this.

On the other hand, we have the types of mistakes that are, to the viewer, silly, but are also human, and completely understandable and in line with the character's personality, and they help drive the plot. Ned Stark warning Cersei for example. Or in this case, Rhaenys going on her kamikaze mission (note the resignation in her face before she turns around) realizing that she had the chance to end the war then and there.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
FWIW Rhaenys was actually holding her own. Meleys was a very skilled dragon in combat. It wasn't really suicide or anything despite Vhagar's size.

On the other hand, we have the types of mistakes that are, to the viewer, silly, but are also human, and completely understandable and in line with the character's personality, and they help drive the plot. Ned Stark warning Cersei for example. Or in this case, Rhaenys going on her kamikaze mission (note the resignation in her face before she turns around) realizing that she had the chance to end the war then and there.
I also noticed the look of resignation on her face as she turned around, and it was a look of "I'm not coming back from this"

So, was it a suicide mission or not?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I also noticed the look of resignation on her face as she turned around, and it was a look of "I'm not coming back from this"

I wouldn't conflate suicide with a kamikaze mission. The former implies that she knew she had no chance and wanted to end her life. The latter implies that she was willing to sacrifice her life to destroy the enemy and end the war. In my view, it was the latter.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I wouldn't conflate suicide with a kamikaze mission. The former implies that she knew she had no chance and wanted to end her life. The latter implies that she was willing to sacrifice her life to destroy the enemy and end the war. In my view, it was the latter.
Suicide mission... kamikaze mission... call it what you will...

It looked like she knew it was a one-way trip, otherwise, I think she would've turned around with a little more gusto

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

I didn't call it a kamikaze mission - someone else did. My message was consistent.

But as the other poster said, I think she was resigned to fighting to the death (if she must) in that moment. It really wasn't nuts to think Meleys could take Vhagar (though odds weren't in her favor of course).

Reactions: Neutrinos

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Doesn't Aemond have his sword drawn at Sunfyre's crash site until Cole shows up? That seems fairly unambiguous in my mind.
Let me guess youre a book reader? Second time now I've seen a book reader reference and bring up this exact point. Man you guys are really bad at hiding your intentions and make it so obvious what you're trying to get across.

Book readers really do ruin discussing the show for non-book readers. You guys just comment and correct every little thing that happens or is left ambiguous.

Last edited:

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
It also shows some incompetency with the greens how Vhagar the worlds biggest dragon can leave kings landing without any of them knowing.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I thought most simple explanation for her not fleeing with her dragon and turning to fight was because it would send terrible message if she abandoned a house that had declared support for Queen

Word would get out that in moment of need the Queen didn't stand with House Staunton

It would be hard to rally houses if perception is that Queen and her dragons wont fight for you

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
The top 10 in terms of size are:

1) Vhagar
2) The Cannibal
3) Vermithor
4) Dreamfyre
5) Sheepstealer
6) Caraxes
7) Meleys
8) Syrax
9) Quicksilver
10) Greyhost
Why are so many of these dragons rider less?

I know Cannibal, Sheepstealer and Greyghost live in the wild but how did that come to be? Why has no one taken to riding Vermithor when he stays at Dragonstone? Where does Quicksilver live?

Sorry for all the questions.

I thought most simple explanation for her not fleeing with her dragon and turning to fight was because it would send terrible message if she abandoned a house that had declared support for Queen

Word would get out that in moment of need the Queen didn't stand with House Staunton

It would be hard to rally houses if perception is that Queen and her dragons wont fight for you
I think this is the main reason along with it not being a suicide mission like some think it was. She had a legit chance to win that fight. Vhager jumping out from the blind spot is what annoyed me. So predictable and frankly dumb writing.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL

I know Cannibal, Sheepstealer and Greyghost live in the wild but how did that come to be? Why has no one taken to riding Vermithor when he stays at Dragonstone? Where does Quicksilver live?

I don't know the answer to all your questions but usually they are riderless when their rider dies and a new rider hasn't claimed them yet, kinda like Aemond went to claim Vhagar after Leana died. Pretty sure Vermithor was Jeahrys's(sp?) dragon, the king before Viserys

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Just how it goes. Maybe no one tried to claim them. Maybe they don't want riders - not sure always!

One of the overarching themes of HOTD (Viserys in particular said) is that humans don't control dragons, even Targaryens. They do as they please of course and hey sometimes they don't want a rider.

Quicksilver lives with Vermithor on Dragonstone most likely.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

I had actually given it some additional thought last night, and while I believe I interpreted her look of resignation correctly, I didn't consider her sense of duty to those in the castle, so I appreciate the new perspective

The conclusion that I came to was that she turned around because - as someone else pointed out - Vhagar was injured, and possibly vulnerable, and if she carried onto Dragonstone for reinforcements it would've given him and Daemon an opportunity to flee and recover

I think part of my initial disapproval of her decision to return to the fight was that we had just seen Aegon recklessly get his undersized dragon killed, and shouldn't it be ingrained in these Targaryens that there is nothing more valuable than their dragon?

Last edited:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Just how it goes. Maybe no one tried to claim them. Maybe they don't want riders - not sure always!

One of the overarching themes of HOTD (Viserys in particular said) is that humans don't control dragons, even Targaryens. They do as they please of course and hey sometimes they don't want a rider.

I don't know the answer to all your questions but usually they are riderless when their rider dies and a new rider hasn't claimed them yet, kinda like Aemond went to claim Vhagar after Leana died. Pretty sure Vermithor was Jeahrys's(sp?) dragon, the king before Viserys
Fair enough, I mean even some horses can't be tamed so I suppose taming giant flying fire breathing creatures could be difficult. That makes me hate the scene of Aemond stealing Vhager all that much more. As if that spoiled little shit could've just jumped on the biggest dragon in the world and instantly figured out how to ride her. I do kind of remember now that it was said Vermithor hasn't had a rider since Jaeharys died.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Let me guess youre a book reader? Second time now I've seen a book reader reference and bring up this exact point. Man you guys are really bad at hiding your intentions and make it so obvious what you're trying to get across.

Book readers really do ruin discussing the show for non-book readers. You guys just comment and correct every little thing that happens or is left ambiguous.

Are these book readers in the room with you now? Should we gather in a parking lot and have a big book burning?

I wasn't hinting at anything. That was my interpretation of the concluding scene of the TV episode and I don't think I was alone in that interpretation either. Although I will say after watching the clip @Osprey posted above it does seem more ambiguous than I initially thought. Aemond was at least toying with the idea of finishing the job and paired with the lighting him up earlier clearly doesn't care too much for King Aegon's safety.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Suicide mission... kamikaze mission... call it what you will...

It looked like she knew it was a one-way trip, otherwise, I think she would've turned around with a little more gusto

Yes... But there's a big difference between a one-way trip just for the sake of dying, and a one-way trip that ultimately ends the war.

If herself and Aemond both go down with both dragons also dying... The war is over. With Aegon and Sunfyre presumably dead, and now Aemond and Vhagar also dead, the Greens would literally have nothing left to fight with.

That was no doubt her mindset. She probably knew it was highly probable she dies, but if they can take out Vhagar in the process, the Blacks win the war before the conflict even begins. A worthwhile risk to her.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Yes... But there's a big difference between a one-way trip just for the sake of dying, and a one-way trip that ultimately ends the war.

If herself and Aemond both go down with both dragons also dying... The war is over. With Aegon and Sunfyre presumably dead, and now Aemond and Vhagar also dead, the Greens would literally have nothing left to fight with.

That was no doubt her mindset. She probably knew it was highly probable she dies, but if they can take out Vhagar in the process, the Blacks win the war before the conflict even begins. A worthwhile risk to her.

Which she, of course, could've done had she freaking dracarys'd in the dragonpit in s1...

Bah

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Gayle Rankin as Alys Rivers was another casting get. I liked her in G.L.O.W. and S1 of Perry Mason.
Damn, I didn't even recognize Sheila. She was awesome in GLOW which was an underrated show. A shame it was cancelled when it was.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
I’m assuming that we won’t get to see Aemond vs Daemon this season.

( feel free to post spoilers)
If they’re going with a 4 season plan,
I think the Battle above the god’s eye will be in the season 3 finale, or they might save it for their early season 4 shocker. If I recall correctly, there’s still a lot of stuff that happens after, albeit a bit anticlimactic.

Reactions: Rob

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia

Quicksilver died like 70 years before this show takes place.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Naming Corlys her hand is probably her smartest move.

Good episode I thought, definitely setting things up for the final few episodes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad