TV: House of the Dragon (HBO) - Season 2 - Summer 2024, please use spoil tags where it makes sense

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Really?

Rhaenys is a very proud lady. You think she's going to run away from a battle that's half done?

Plus, she's a more experienced dragon rider than Aemond. She had been taking it to him before she got blindsided. No reason for her to think she couldn't have won that battle and ended the war before it really happened.
Wondering if she thought Vaeghar would just run her down if she fled and had to stand and fight.

Reactions: JimmyApples

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I think she was horrified at what she just did and knew she couldn't live with herself.

When Vhager had the other one's neck I was just waiting for it's head to be severed off.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Surprised by all the love this past episode has received...

Her decision to go back and get herself and her dragon killed seemed so... forced

She had just taken out one of their dragons, and presumably the King... she could've flown back to Dragonstone, grabbed another dragon rider or two, and then they could've gone back to take out the big dragon as a team

Instead, she died a needless death, and her side is also down a dragon...

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I found myself agreeing with the author, since it seemed to me while I was watching for the first time that Aemond was trying to kill Aegon. I then went back and re-watched the scene and now believe that the actor and director are right that it's ambiguous. At the very least, Aemond has plausible deniability, so, even if Aegon lives, he can probably get out of being held accountable for nearly killing his brother.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Her decision to go back and get herself and her dragon killed seemed so... forced

She had just taken out one of their dragons, and presumably the King... she could've flown back to Dragonstone, grabbed another dragon rider or two, and then they could've gone back to take out the big dragon as a team

Vhagar could have flown her down. She had already wounded Vhagar and had her best chance to essentially end the Greens with a single battle. I think her only mistake was flying over a blind spot at the castle, she should have stayed in the open and kept her advantage of better dragon riding experience.
I found myself agreeing with the author, since it seemed to me while I was watching for the first time that Aemond was trying to kill Aegon. I then went back and re-watched the scene and now see that the actor and director are right that it's ambiguous. At the very least, Aemond has plausible deniability, so, even if Aegon lives, he can worm his way out of being held accountable for nearly killing his brother.
I interpreted the scene to be that he was going to take advantage of the situation to attack Rhaenys, and that if Aegon was collateral damage so be it.

Reactions: SirPaste

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I found myself agreeing with the author, since it seemed to me while I was watching for the first time that Aemond was trying to kill Aegon. I then went back and re-watched the scene and now believe that the actor and director are right that it's ambiguous. At the very least, Aemond has plausible deniability, so, even if Aegon lives, he can probably get out of being held accountable for nearly killing his brother.
I took it as he trying ot kill Aegon. We all know he wants and thinks he should be king, he saw his opportunity and took it.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I interpreted the scene to be that he was going to take advantage of the situation to attack Rhaenys, and that if Aegon was collateral damage so be it.
That's the alternate interpretation that Aemond's actor brings up, and he and the director both indicate it was supposed to be unclear whether that interpretation was correct or whether Aemond was taking advantage of the situation to try to kill his weak brother and take his place as king.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Vhagar could have flown her down. She had already wounded Vhagar and had her best chance to essentially end the Greens with a single battle. I think her only mistake was flying over a blind spot at the castle, she should have stayed in the open and kept her advantage of better dragon riding experience.
Maybe, but we saw no evidence that she was even being chased... in fact, what we saw was that the dragon was essentially waiting in that blind spot to attack, so let's assume she could've made it back to Dragonstone

The reality is, she turned around to fight a much bigger dragon, and she got herself and her dragon killed

She was written to be a very wise character, but she suffers one of the more avoidable deaths in the history of Westeros because the writers wanted to kill her off and couldn't think of a more plausible way to do it

And having a 2000 ton dragon suddenly appear from that blind spot was more lazy/poor writing...

Seconds before the attack, I knew exactly what was about to happen...

Last edited:
Reactions: Vaheh

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Didn't she just battle the dragon and it crashed into the ground, she was probably going back to see if she could finish the job if it was injured. Clearly it wasn't and it was a costly mistake.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Wondering if she thought Vaeghar would just run her down if she fled and had to stand and fight.
In the source material Meleys is one of the fastest dragons, supposedly much faster than Vhagar, so she could have fled if she wanted. She chose to stay and fight.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I took it as he trying ot kill Aegon. We all know he wants and thinks he should be king, he saw his opportunity and took it.
He had the opportunity already before Aegon even became king. He begged Aemond to let him go disappear overseas and take the crown for himself but Aemond didn't do it.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
He had the opportunity already before Aegon even became king. He begged Aemond to let him go disappear overseas and take the crown for himself but Aemond didn't do it.
I doubt Cole would let that happen and iirc there were witnesses around.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I honestly couldn't have cared less about the Clegane Bowl, but if we don't get an Aemon vs Daemon showdown at some point, the entire GoT universe is dead to me...

With that said, they've made a point of showing that Aemond doesn't have control of Vhagar, so I'm wondering if that will be the source of his undoing

Reactions: gary69 and Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Doesn't Aemond have his sword drawn at Sunfyre's crash site until Cole shows up? That seems fairly unambiguous in my mind.

He did and only put it back when Cole showed up. At least that what I remember. I only watched the episode once, but plan on watching thd final battle again before Sunday.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Villains yes but I don't think Cole is evil or a psychopath. He's not enjoying himself torturing people like Joffrey or Ramsay for example.

Eh he definitely has strayed toward evil much more than you or he thinks. Dude was ready to cut out Lucerys' eye just because Alicent asked him to. He constantly breaks his vows. His morality is all over.

I spent all this time waiting for a good dragon fight and now I just want them all to head off to a dragon wildlife preserve where they get all the sheep they want.

I liked initially that they're tying in the ASOIAF stuff but now I'm kind of confused as to what the payoff there is supposed to be? That's like the 4th or 5th episode the legend has been mentioned in. We actually kind of know what happens there. I wonder if they're just struggling to fill time as Fire and Blood was not really the same kind of narrative storytelling that ASOIAF(GoT) was but more of a historical retelling.

The episodes are like over an hour long, so I just don't think it's mentioned to fill time. I think they're mentioning it because they're trying to continue to mention why all of these fights are still happening...it all came down to Aegon's dream of ice and fire.

I don't think these moments about Aegon's dream hurts the story or anything.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
How many dragons does each side have? And what are their respective sizes?

Again, I can't believe she turned around and sacrificed her dragon like that!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Doesn't Aemond have his sword drawn at Sunfyre's crash site until Cole shows up? That seems fairly unambiguous in my mind.
He does, but I just re-watched it and he appears to start sheathing it before Cole calls out to him. He then squats down to pick up Aegon's dagger, suggesting that he was sheathing his sword in order to pick up the dagger (not because Cole arrived). Let me make a clip...

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'm sure another inspiration for the dragons is the Pacific Theatre and Japan and the US trying to get the advantage in carriers.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

FWIW Rhaenys was actually holding her own. Meleys was a very skilled dragon in combat. It wasn't really suicide or anything despite Vhagar's size.

How many dragons does each side have? And what are their respective sizes?

Again, I can't believe she turned around and sacrificed her dragon like that!

The Greens right now have 2 truly functional dragons...Vhagar and Dreamfyre (now that Sunfyre is gone)

The Blacks have 4...Rhaenyra's Syrax, Daemon's Caraxes, Baela's Moondancer, and Jacerys' Vermax

So the Blacks still have more dragons than the Greens. The Greens at the moment really just have 1 giant one in Vhagar.

As for their sizes, the order pretty much goes...
1) Vhagar (by a lot)
2) Dreamfyre
3) Caraxes (nearly same size as Dreamfyre)
4) Syrax
5) Vermax
6) Moondancer

Now Helaena likely will never ride Dreamfyre again, so that's why I say Vhagar is pretty much it for for the Greens now.

There are other dragons that are available, per say...one of them being Vermithor, who is roughly the 2nd largest dragon in the world during this time period. It's the one Daemon sang to in S1 of HOTD at Dragonstone.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

This reminds me of the complaint some folks had in GOT about Rickon not running in a zig-zag pattern to escape Ramsay Bolton's arrows.

Sometimes, in stressful situations, with adrenaline pumping, and without the benefit of hindsight, people, even smart people, don't make the optimal decisions.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
FWIW Rhaenys was actually holding her own. Meleys was a very skilled dragon in combat. It wasn't really suicide or anything despite Vhagar's size.

The Greens right now have 2 truly functional dragons...Vhagar and Dreamfyre (now that Sunfyre is gone)

The Blacks have 4...Rhaenyra's Syrax, Daemon's Caraxes, Baela's Moondancer, and Jacerys' Vermax

So the Blacks still have more dragons than the Greens. The Greens at the moment really just have 1 giant one in Vhagar.

As for their sizes, the order pretty much goes...
1) Vhagar (by a lot)
2) Dreamfyre
3) Caraxes (nearly same size as Dreamfyre)
4) Syrax
5) Vermax
6) Moondancer

Now Helaena likely will never ride Dreamfyre again, so that's why I say Vhagar is pretty much it for for the Greens now.

There are other dragons that are available, per say...one of them being Vermithor, who is roughly the 2nd largest dragon in the world during this time period. It's the one Daemon sang to in S1 of HOTD at Dragonstone.
The top 10 in terms of size are:

1) Vhagar
2) The Cannibal
3) Vermithor
4) Dreamfyre
5) Sheepstealer
6) Caraxes
7) Meleys
8) Syrax
9) Quicksilver
10) Greyhost

Ad