Red Sox/MLB Hot Stove Part 2: Lockout Edition - 6 games lost, 156 to go

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Buck O'Neill finally getting in is awesome.

Jim Kaat getting in is a great reminder why none of this matters. I wouldn't even give him a senior discount if he tries to buy a ticket to Cooperstown.
I loved Kaat as a kid and remember freaking out as a 8 year old he was pitching Saturday the last weekend of 1967 and could knock us out - if we just could get to Sunday and Lonborg

he was a machine back then and ended up hurting his arm that Saturday and had to come out which was significant because I think Jim Perry (Gaylord younger brother and good himself) and they got to him - Yaz hit 44 and Boomer hit a 3 run homer

he was an insane hitter and won 16? GG

I’m looking at him as an 8-18 yr old when there was no games on TV other then game of week, Topps ruled the world and it was a great day to get Baseball Digest each month

he was like Smoltz to me and if he went in HOF I’m fine but he wasn’t Koufax or Gibson but he was good

if I have to look stuff up and think about it they probably don’t belong

I love this time when I can watch Tampa & Falcons and Bengals vs Chargers at same time but I would never trade it in to wait all week to watch a Saturday game to watch Roberto Clemente & Willie Stargell play the Chicago Cubs and see Ron Santo, Billy Williams and Ernie Banks

I still have the entire 1968 Topps set I collected 5 cent by 5 cent pack and would put that gun maybe 20 pieces in my mouth

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Take solace in the fact she doesn't have to hear assholes like me accurately point out Gil Hodges getting inducted is ludicrous.
Gil Hodges was my guy - I loved the Brooklyn Dodgers as a kid because of my uncle and father

our little league banquet had Wayne Garrett who was the Mets third third baseman in 1969 Miracle Mets - I never thought about it but crazy we get a guy who was just on a WS team was guest speaker - that would be like getting Austin Reilly. I was so excited because he played for Hodges

we all have our likes and dislikes but to me Hodges belonged 50 years ago but that’s me

Reactions: EverettMike

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Suzuki is more of a power hitter now compared to earlier in his career and has the ability to go yard more often than Ozuna.

Marcell Ozuna has a 37 home run season in the majors and led the NL in homers in the shortened season last year

Seiya’s career high is 38…..in Japan.

pump the brakes a little bit. Like let’s see him against major league pitching before proclaiming him as a better power hitter than a guy who has demonstrated big power at times against the best in the world. Chances are if Ozuna plays in Japan he’s popping 40+

people forget Ozuna has 2 seasons where he got MVP votes. He’s a piece of shit but he’s usually a very good player and if Suzuki can play at that level then that’s a major victory for whoever signs him

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I never saw Buck but loved him in Ken Burns baseball

In 1968 getting a Tony Olivia baseball card was like a Wanka Gild Ticket

Carew- Oliva- Killebrew - Allison scared the crap out of me

Glad for Minnie Minosa - I think I got his autograph as a kid when he was coaching White Sox

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Growing up, my next door neighbor was a devout Brooklyn Dodgers fan and worshipped Gil. I wish she was alive to celebrate this.
I can still off top of head do the Brooklyn lineup
1B Hodges HOF
2B Robinson HOF
SS Reese HOF
3B Billy Cox
RF Carl Furillo (was Dwight Evans like)
CF Duke Snyder HOF
C Roy Campanella HOF

what a lineup

Reactions: LouJersey

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
WELCOME TO COOPERSTOWN
Minnie Miñoso, Gil Hodges, Buck O'Neil, Jim Kaat, Bud Fowler and Tony Oliva.

View attachment 487616
You think Dick Allen should have got in? He was so bleeping good with the Phillies when he was Richie Allen

I can never get that photo of him on the cover of SI smoking a cigarette

he’s like Dave Parker and even Oliva to me he’s so close but pissed away first ballot for reasons - Oliva injury and Parker cocaine

Hall of Shoulda

Kaat probably misses to me like Tommy John and maybe even Don Sutton but Sutton won 300

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I loved Kaat as a kid and remember freaking out as a 8 year old he was pitching Saturday the last weekend of 1967 and could knock us out - if we just could get to Sunday and Lonborg

he was a machine back then and ended up hurting his arm that Saturday and had to come out which was significant because I think Jim Perry (Gaylord younger brother and good himself) and they got to him - Yaz hit 44 and Boomer hit a 3 run homer

he was an insane hitter and won 16? GG

I’m looking at him as an 8-18 yr old when there was no games on TV other then game of week, Topps ruled the world and it was a great day to get Baseball Digest each month

he was like Smoltz to me and if he went in HOF I’m fine but he wasn’t Koufax or Gibson but he was good

if I have to look stuff up and think about it they probably don’t belong

I love this time when I can watch Tampa & Falcons and Bengals vs Chargers at same time but I would never trade it in to wait all week to watch a Saturday game to watch Roberto Clemente & Willie Stargell play the Chicago Cubs and see Ron Santo, Billy Williams and Ernie Banks

I still have the entire 1968 Topps set I collected 5 cent by 5 cent pack and would put that gun maybe 20 pieces in my mouth

You’ve got, 7-8 years on me I think. I remember MNB and the Saturday game of the week and of course…this week in baseball, every Saturday am, which I seemed to miss a lot from age 9-12 because I always seemed to have LL practice at the same time.

My favorite memories are when cable came to the house and we could get Yankees on WPIX and a while later. Braves on TBS and Cubs on WGN, I think.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
My bad.

I forgot to factor in the step down in competition.

He's basically a better version of Hank Aaron.

I never said that. I am saying that he has changed his approach at the plate in recent years to swing more for power than contact. Jesus.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
You’re right. He’s better than Jesus

12719860cb2edd87f3a7abea741a70ba.1000x1000x1.jpg

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Marcell Ozuna has a 37 home run season in the majors and led the NL in homers in the shortened season last year

pump the brakes a little bit. Like let’s see him against major league pitching before proclaiming him as a better power hitter than a guy who has demonstrated big power at times against the best in the world. Chances are if Ozuna plays in Japan he’s popping 40+

people forget Ozuna has 2 seasons where he got MVP votes. He’s a piece of shit but he’s usually a very good player and if Suzuki can play at that level then that’s a major victory for whoever signs him
I’m waiting till we get Suzuki before I go overboard on the signing. If he goes to SD or LA or Yankees he’s basically Rusney Castillo

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

If Seiya’s career high in Japan is 38, wouldn’t he come here and hit more? It’s the MLB…. I’d say 50 or bust for Suzuki.

Reactions: McGarnagle and CDJ

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Boston Red Sox Set to Rival New York Yankees to ‘Difference Maker’ Seiya Suzuki Signature

Evidently, Suzuki has a lot of feats to secure irrespective of the team he decides to join, and the Yankees and Red Sox wouldn’t want to miss the chance of having him on their side. Interestingly, reports claim, Boston Red Sox is the front runner in the race for Suzuki. If Red Sox successfully gain him, he would hopefully play at the right-field position for them.
Boston Red Sox will reportedly put in a huge offer on his table.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
CBS Sports graded every MLB team's off-season moves so far and the Red Sox only get a C. :(

from cbssports.com:

You can take the executive out of Tampa Bay, but you can't take the Tampa Bay out of the executive. Chaim Bloom's third offseason as the Red Sox's point guard has been Raysian -- to the extent that he's even signed two former Rays pitchers. Bloom's haul to date includes veteran starters Rich Hill, James Paxton, and Michael Wacha, as well as outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. and infield prospects David Hamilton and Alex Binelas. (Those last three were acquired from the Brewers for Hunter Renfroe).

You can make the case there's a risk-reward imbalance present in Boston's offseason. Hill's age, Paxton's health, and Wacha's track record make them all attrition candidates. Furthermore, Bradley Jr. is coming off an atrocious season that saw him post a 34 OPS+ over 428 trips to the plate. If those four players perform closer to their median expectations in 2022, the Red Sox will have gained three mid-to-back-end starters and a glove-first outfielder who can start most days in center. That's a solid haul. The problem is that it's easy to see two or three of them falling well short of their median expectations once again, leaving Boston in a tough spot.

The Red Sox, a financial behemoth, are coming off a surprising postseason appearance and have a projected payroll well beneath the $200-million mark. It would be nice to see them behave like it by shopping closer to the top of the market. GRADE: C

Full story: Grades for every MLB team's pre-lockout moves: Mets, Rangers top of the class; silent Yankees get 'F'

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
CBS Sports graded every MLB team's off-season moves so far and the Red Sox only get a C. :(

from cbssports.com:

You can take the executive out of Tampa Bay, but you can't take the Tampa Bay out of the executive. Chaim Bloom's third offseason as the Red Sox's point guard has been Raysian -- to the extent that he's even signed two former Rays pitchers. Bloom's haul to date includes veteran starters Rich Hill, James Paxton, and Michael Wacha, as well as outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. and infield prospects David Hamilton and Alex Binelas. (Those last three were acquired from the Brewers for Hunter Renfroe).

You can make the case there's a risk-reward imbalance present in Boston's offseason. Hill's age, Paxton's health, and Wacha's track record make them all attrition candidates. Furthermore, Bradley Jr. is coming off an atrocious season that saw him post a 34 OPS+ over 428 trips to the plate. If those four players perform closer to their median expectations in 2022, the Red Sox will have gained three mid-to-back-end starters and a glove-first outfielder who can start most days in center. That's a solid haul. The problem is that it's easy to see two or three of them falling well short of their median expectations once again, leaving Boston in a tough spot.

The Red Sox, a financial behemoth, are coming off a surprising postseason appearance and have a projected payroll well beneath the $200-million mark. It would be nice to see them behave like it by shopping closer to the top of the market. GRADE: C

Full story: Grades for every MLB team's pre-lockout moves: Mets, Rangers top of the class; silent Yankees get 'F'

Goes to an “A” when they sign future HOFer Seiya Suzuki from the NBP (or as it’s known around the world, Greatest Baseball League)

Reactions: McGarnagle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad