Red Sox/MLB Hot Stove Part 2: Lockout Edition - 6 games lost, 156 to go

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Sources: MLB, MLBPA unlikely to talk core economics until January

“… why aren’t the sides locked in a room now, trying to hammer out a deal almost every day this month? People with knowledge of the process said the sides would likely be saying the same things to each other over and over. There’s little compelling them to change their positions at this point (save for the damage of having a sport that’s frozen, but the owners were, clearly, willing to take on that risk).”

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland

Ben Verlander is a jack wagon.

Siblings often share behavioral and personality traits.

Still, I see three and maybe five I would vote for on Steve Marcus's empty ballot. Perhaps he's still so bitter about the PED era, he fails to recognize Bonds and Clemens were already locks before they juiced. And a case could be made that Papi might be the second best hitter in Red Sox history (certainly top five), which should make him a lock, as well. A-Rod is a dink and also a juicer, but a pretty good candidate, too. I don't know what institutional standard Marcus thinks he's upholding for a place that just let Jim Kaat get a plaque. Really, really good pitcher. Not HOF.

Reactions: EvilDead

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Bobby V got interviewed on Section 10. It's pretty good. He's a blowhard for sure but he did get a bad rap here. Highlights:

- He still claims he invented the wrap sandwich
- He had a good relationship with Pedroia despite what the papers said
- John Henry made him claim that removing beer from the clubhouse was his idea when it wasn't, and he kept beers in his office for the players
- He almost hired Bill Buckner as his bench coach but when ownership made him keep Dave Magadan as hitting coach he decided against it because he thought they'd clash
- Ownership made him spend the winter flying around to players' homes because he had been critical of Beckett and Crawford while he was an announcer for ESPN, and those guys were sensitive and took everything personal (Beckett in particular sounded like a dick)
- Adrian Gonzalez is some kind of baseball genius, one of the smartest baseball players he'd met in 50 years in the game, but he apparently never shut up during games, trying to tell everyone in the dugout about how air moisture and length of the grass would affect balls in play to the point where they all got really annoyed
- Nobody informed him about the Dodgers trade until they were already on the field standing for the national anthem, and he had to go re-write the lineup card in the dugout bathroom
- He knew from the get-go that he was only a caretaker until Farrell came back, but thought it'd be 2 years instead of 1, and Peter Gammons was his source he'd check in with from time to time who let him know he was probably getting fired

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Siblings often share behavioral and personality traits.

Still, I see three and maybe five I would vote for on Steve Marcus's empty ballot. Perhaps he's still so bitter about the PED era, he fails to recognize Bonds and Clemens were already locks before they juiced. And a case could be made that Papi might be the second best hitter in Red Sox history (certainly top five), which should make him a lock, as well. A-Rod is a dink and also a juicer, but a pretty good candidate, too. I don't know what institutional standard Marcus thinks he's upholding for a place that just let Jim Kaat get a plaque. Really, really good pitcher. Not HOF.
Kaat sends me to the Baseball Reference page which should indicate he’s not a HOF however , beyond pitching in which he was very good he was arguably the best fielding pitcher in history a superb hitter and in 1963? had a historic season and I think beat Koufax once or twice in WS

the most amazing thing is this guy pitched in the ‘50s albeit 1959 and he’s still actively doing games

all taken into consideration I put him in

yet if they told me I was in charge of the Very Good HOF he’s first ballot

I kind of look at HOF as 3 tiers and use the 1939-1986 Red Sox LF

Ted Williams
Carl Yastrzemski
Jim Rice

personally I don’t think Biggio belongs in the HOF and I drafted him in my APBA League 30 years ago as a catcher from Seton Hall. I liked him but no way did I watch him thinking this freaking guy is a HOF like I did Joe Morgan or Roberto Alomar or Ryne Sandberg at 2B

Lou Whitaker I never thought was a HOF or Willie Randolph either although I did think Alan Tranmell was

I mean someone has to be in my very good HOF?

I loved Oliva as a kid - I actually stole his baseball card from a friend of mine, and during confession (I went to a Catholic grammar school) came clean- but I really didn’t feel badly, I so wanted that card and knew if I got one eventually in a pack I would flip to lose or make a bad trade with him going back.

yet even as an 8 year old risking potential eternity of hell I don’t think Oliva due to injuries is a HOF ~ he would have been and he was on the fence to me so I was happy for him and brought back a lot of good memories (and a dark one) but the HOF is a bit to liberal today

I will say that I compare apples to apples and whereas @LouJersey i believe is not a fan of DH to me it’s a significant position and a sort of retirement position early on for many of the greats like Hank Aaron & HOF like Billy Williams, Orlando Cepeda and Tony Perez to get added stats to likely get in

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I think Rollins, Vazquez and Wagner are HOF worthy but don’t know if any are roids guys :laugh:
I never thought of Jimmy Rollins for one second a HOF watching him

Wagner Was one of the best relievers ever and that position is understaffed and undervalued

Wagner to me is a HOF

I never thought watching Jeff Kent was a HOF anf wouldn’t vote in

Richie aka Dick Allen and Dave Parker were freaking super stars first half of careers but I feel they let me down

Tim Raines sorta the same and like Parker had drug problems but he hung around and compiled

he’s a tough call but I went yes because in my lifetime he’s right there with Henderson as the most dangerous lead off hitters - yet his second half of career was so meh

Andrew Jones? Larry Walker? Jim Edmonds ? Reggie Smith even just so many ways to go yes or know

I don’t think Walker should be in because of his splits and lack of games played per season yet I think Walker should be in because of the batting titles the defense his speed

You got to probably give him the benefit of the doubt and in the end you have to put him in those 5 years of his best is iconic

also maybe because I was a wide eyed kid I always looked at Steve Garvey as a HOF

we are talking Steve Garvey

analytics kills him but before I ever heard the word he was a baseball God - he was the Dodgers and Mr Southern California

Reactions: 08SeaBass08
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad