Post-Game Talk: Holy Diver

3 stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Is it my imagination or are we missing a lot of our regular posters ?
Also, not much to analyze in this one.
We came.
We saw.
We kicked it’s ass.
2DB57465-A992-455E-BEB5-F98A7BBBDA69.gif

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
This gets underrated. Especially at this time of year. Having easy games, makes time on ice management possible.

Managing time on ice entering the playoffs is huge. Keeping our stars fresh for the brutal playoff run will pay big dividends.

Zibad hasn't played more than 18 minutes in 8 of his last 10 games. He averages over 20 minutes for the year.

Panarin's last 20 minute performance was 10 games ago. Since then he had only 3 games just above 18 minutes. He too averages close to 20 minutes per game for the season.

Kreider has averaged 18:35 TOI for the season. In his last 10 games, only twice has he played more than 16 minutes.

The only one still putting in the time is Fox. Although he did get a break during the two shutout wins. He averages better than 24 minutes for the year. He will probably get a maintenance day sometime after we beat the Debbies.

Turk has been managing ice time like a real pro. Something you never saw Torts do.
Yeah such a good point. You can see the guys responding well to this too. They were still busting it during their shifts but the toll each shift took on them from a physical and mental standpoint was very minimal. I was totally impressed.

Also, just want to say, I was at the game so I’m not sure if the TV coverage picked this up— what a real classy move by the Rangers to skate over to the ref Marc Joannette and congratulate him after the game on his retirement. Every Ranger shook his hand- only one Columbus guy did( Jenner). A real class move by a classy organization.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Yeah such a good point. You can see the guys responding well to this too. They were still busting it during their shifts but the toll each shift took on them from a physical and mental standpoint was very minimal. I was totally impressed.

Also, just want to say, I was at the game so I’m not sure if the TV coverage picked this up— what a real classy move by the Rangers to skate over to the ref Marc Joannette and congratulate him after the game on his retirement. Every Ranger shook his hand- only one Columbus guy did( Jenner). A real class move by a classy organization.

Yes the tv showed it

Reactions: bhamill

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Remember a few weeks ago, when the team had a sting of 3 or 4 games after the trade deadline where they didn't look good and everyone was losing their head and said the team was toast? LOL

Everyone?

Anyway I’ve watched teams like the islanders struggle against this Columbus team as of last week

We just are too much for a team like this.

Kane was awesome. The kids are going Igor is back and full of piss and vinegar. And Panarin looked great

They want that game Thursday. They all said it. Big fight feel for that one.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Small thing but smart for Gallant to put out Trocheck, Laff and Chytil out when Columbus pulled their goalie.

Reactions: Crease

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Wouldn’t be shocked if some Gallant haters paused their accounts after the last few weeks of solid play, better to be right and angry, than winning and happy for some.

Shesty is dialed in, looks better and better with each passing game.

Reactions: tlk

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't see how a team that plays this bad defensively is so good?! But I guess a W is a W. I don't see how these flaws will get better by the playoffs. I'll be at the game tomorrow, hopefully they can play some defense against a team that is dangerous offensively.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I don't see how a team that plays this bad defensively is so good?! But I guess a W is a W. I don't see how these flaws will get better by the playoffs. I'll be at the game tomorrow, hopefully they can play some defense against a team that is dangerous offensively.

They've shown that they can lock it down, especially in the third periods of games. Their focus on doing that comes and goes unfortunately, depending on the opponent and the in-game situation. Last night, Shesterkin bailed them out again and again and again early in the game. Sometimes they genuinely try on defense but get their teeth knocked in by elite offensive teams.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
What an odd game and feeling.

On the one hand, man did we look good offensively and had monstrous puck possession. Like teams should fear us if we play like that.

On the other hand we were so lost defensively that good teams would chew us alive unless shesty goes god mode.

Need to tighten it up in our zone, but still need to pressure offensively.

Oh and our breakouts looked damn good… but that is probably bc we had time. We struggle against teams with a furious foecheck.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
because they're not bad defensively. I see why we think that but the game has dramatically evolved the last three years. The game has gotten even faster over night and overall speed has dramatically increased so every night even the best D are looking stupid.

Regarding the Rangers, they're in the top half of the league in all defensive metrics and that's with having the worst 3rd pair in the league.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They've shown that they can lock it down, especially in the third periods of games. Their focus on doing that comes and goes unfortunately, depending on the opponent and the in-game situation. Last night, Shesterkin bailed them out again and again and again early in the game. Sometimes they genuinely try on defense but get their teeth knocked in by elite offensive teams.
Igor was the difference in the game. It could have been 5-3 Columbus after one. I lost count of the number of odd man rushes they gave up in the first 5 minutes. It seemed whenever the Zibanejad line was out there in the first, they were giving up 1 or 2 quality chances because they weren't playing defense. Also, I don't think they lock down teams in the third. They still give up a bunch of chances against good teams. I'm not too confident about holding a lead in the third against NJ or Carolina in the playoffs with the way the team plays defense.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Goodrow triumphs over Gaudreau

Wolansky fixed
All I could ask myself was "what's wrong with him"? Hysterical.

IDC how dedicated you are to one of your parents, why oh why would you feel the need to use both, especially when........I mean, did he think it to be funny? In a good way? lmao. It is, but not so much in a good way.

They're a decent team but if we can't handle them then we don't deserve to win shit
Agreed. I fear NO team, not even Boston. Respect is one thing, FEAR or not wanting to play a team is quite another. Bring the damned thing ON!

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
because they're not bad defensively. I see why we think that but the game has dramatically evolved the last three years. The game has gotten even faster over night and overall speed has dramatically increased so every night even the best D are looking stupid.

Regarding the Rangers, they're in the top half of the league in all defensive metrics and that's with having the worst 3rd pair in the league.
I understand the game has evolved. But it's still a game of preventing odd man rushes and covering the slot (keeping teams to the outside) and not turning over pucks in the neutral zone when you have 3 players on the wrong side of the puck. I think the Rangers have been getting bailed out by their goaltending. That can only last so long.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
All I could ask myself was "what's wrong with him"? Hysterical.

IDC how dedicated you are to one of your parents, why oh why would you feel the need to use both, especially when........I mean, did he think it to be funny? In a good way? lmao. It is, but not so much in a good way.

Agreed. I fear NO team, not even Boston. Respect is one thing, FEAR or not wanting to play a team is quite another. Bring the damned thing ON!

Could be worse with the combination-surnames, like McConnell-Barker, which sounds like a maker of (class-leading) industrial turbines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad