HOH Top 60 Goaltenders of All Time (2024 Edition) - Round 2, Vote 1

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Not trying to open a can of worms here, but a lot of work has been done isolating a lot of different "types" of goals against. Some that matter more, some that matter less... what's left? in a tight playoff game, where almost every goal has some eventual importance, what are "normal" goals that we don't either hold against the goalie to a greater extent, or whitewash away?

I mean, if they allow the first goal, that's bad. if they allow a tying goal that's bad. if they allow a winning goal, that's bad. garbage time goals get disregarded. In the dead puck era, it feels like most goals would be in one of those categories, so what's even left?

The obvious answer is close games matter more, blowouts matter less. Third period performance is either less important (because one team has a comfortable lead) or more important (because it's close). Which you know, of course.

I think the first goal can have extra importance because it can dictate how the rest of the game is played. Especially in low scoring eras where one team can park the bus and make it really hard to score. For example, the DPE Sens were very reliant on getting the first goal because they were much better at scoring on counterattacks than against a team with 5 back. So it was particularly hard if Lalime gave up the first goal. But the first goal hasn't mattered as much in more recent higher scoring seasons, because you just can't defend a lead as well. I'm sure we've all seen the difference.

So the data from teams and eras that we didn't watch can help inform which goals mattered more, if any.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Goalie or captain are default options when others don't stick out. (Just ask Crosby.)

Plante was the Hart trophy winner in their record 5th consecutive year. Boom Boom won it the year before. Beliveau was a candidate to win it again. Harvey, Richard...

Plante was dead in Hart voting every other year of his career except a late one in Toronto. Plante was not a regular candidate for MVP, but got it suddenly out of the blue, at the tail end of the Habs 5-year dynasty (coincidentally a famous Canadian children's book was popular).

And remember: his Vezinas were automatic formulaic awards, not voted on by peers.

If you respect contemporary opinion, then Vezinas & cups mean a whole lot.less in that era than 1st/2nd team all star selections and the opinions of your opponents (of players NOT on your team; especially of the best of the best who rave about you).

Hall is arguably the 3rd best goalie ever.
In the 1970s i recall lively debates about how Hall & Sawchuk are better than Plante! How Tretiak may be the best ever (this pre-1980s Roy & Hasek).

Plante was a great subject of a popular children's book though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad