HOH Top 60 Goaltenders of All Time (2024 Edition) - Preliminary Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How many goalies should make the final list?

• Final list of 60, Round 1 list submission of 80

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • Final list of 80, Round 1 list submission of 100

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
- Scoring levels.
- That would also hint at the fact that the Bruins team got even tighter as years went by.
All right, so we do need to make some adjustments. It's a shame Rask didn't really get Chara until he was into his mid-30's and effectively finished with Norris contention. That might have helped him have an even bigger advantage, right?

So, we got scoring levels, we have coaches, we have coaching tactics, we have goalie coaches, we have team composition, we have the appreciation and depreciation of the players around goalies, we have strength of schedule...award voting is certainly strongly affected by other, possibly unrelated players in the league (a wide open field for the Vezina, say, in DPE 2.0 is much different than going against prime/MVP Hasek, I'd say)...what else do we have to adjust for? Run support, right? When talking about playoff series wins especially.

I'm sure there's plenty more...

Or...ya know...just...hockey sense, technical skill, skating, compete, size/athleticism/consistency. They'll all present themselves a hell of a lot of quicker and they'll be more consistent over an entire career than that wasp's nest in the first paragraph...

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Rask struck me as a more consistent goalie than Thomas. And, well, that's not saying much good about Thomas since Rask is known for his meltdowns. I've got Rask a dozen spots ahead of Thomas, and honestly, I've been wondering if I have Thomas too high.

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It's frustrating to have seen two contemporaries, one of whom clearly played better, and not have others see it.

Just like Beezer vs. Richter. If you were there, you probably knew who was better (if you weren't just going with the cup raiser).

Guys like Vernon, Giguere, Richter, Rask are given undeserved boosts based on team production. They were not among the leading team HEROES; to wit, they were solid role players, not difference makers.

Night after night, Rinne was the best player on his team, and it was well known. Rask? Not so often.

Last edited:

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Those players are indeed of varying quality (if you ask me 20 times at point blank who's the worst netminder that should be on every long list, Mike Richter would be one of the answers I'd give at least once; while the other three really don't have to be there as far as I'm concerned; I think Rask makes it on my long list, I'm not sure Vernon does and I hope Giguere doesn't ), but yeah, they were more of the solid support than core variety.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad