HOH Top 60 Goaltenders of All Time (2024 Edition) - Preliminary Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How many goalies should make the final list?

• Final list of 60, Round 1 list submission of 80

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • Final list of 80, Round 1 list submission of 100

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
- Scoring levels.
- That would also hint at the fact that the Bruins team got even tighter as years went by.
All right, so we do need to make some adjustments. It's a shame Rask didn't really get Chara until he was into his mid-30's and effectively finished with Norris contention. That might have helped him have an even bigger advantage, right?

So, we got scoring levels, we have coaches, we have coaching tactics, we have goalie coaches, we have team composition, we have the appreciation and depreciation of the players around goalies, we have strength of schedule...award voting is certainly strongly affected by other, possibly unrelated players in the league (a wide open field for the Vezina, say, in DPE 2.0 is much different than going against prime/MVP Hasek, I'd say)...what else do we have to adjust for? Run support, right? When talking about playoff series wins especially.

I'm sure there's plenty more...

Or...ya know...just...hockey sense, technical skill, skating, compete, size/athleticism/consistency. They'll all present themselves a hell of a lot of quicker and they'll be more consistent over an entire career than that wasp's nest in the first paragraph...

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Rask struck me as a more consistent goalie than Thomas. And, well, that's not saying much good about Thomas since Rask is known for his meltdowns. I've got Rask a dozen spots ahead of Thomas, and honestly, I've been wondering if I have Thomas too high.

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It's frustrating to have seen two contemporaries, one of whom clearly played better, and not have others see it.

Just like Beezer vs. Richter. If you were there, you probably knew who was better (if you weren't just going with the cup raiser).

Guys like Vernon, Giguere, Richter, Rask are given undeserved boosts based on team production. They were not among the leading team HEROES; to wit, they were solid role players, not difference makers.

Night after night, Rinne was the best player on his team, and it was well known. Rask? Not so often.

Last edited:

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Those players are indeed of varying quality (if you ask me 20 times at point blank who's the worst netminder that should be on every long list, Mike Richter would be one of the answers I'd give at least once; while the other three really don't have to be there as far as I'm concerned; I think Rask makes it on my long list, I'm not sure Vernon does and I hope Giguere doesn't ), but yeah, they were more of the solid support than core variety.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Seems like a good time to dump various quotes and things that I've collected myself...some are clipped. Tried to avoid repeats from upthread.

Former Pro Goalie said:
[There's] an argument for Carey Price being the best ever. [The best goalies of the past] did something different than the previous generation. Roy -> butterfly. Hasek -> street hockey style. Brodeur a mix of old school and new school style plus playing the puck. I wouldn’t call it gimmicky, but it’s something.

Price didn’t. He was absolutely elite. I put his 14-15 season up against any single season performance ever.

NHL goalie coach said:
[Carey Price] is on a whole different level. Incomparable to the rest

Former NHL head coach said:
Can I rank with gaps? Or can I at least put Price at "0." and then start [the list] at 2?

NHL scout said:
Price is the best.

Goalie coach said:
Are we really even going in the right direction as a league? Or did Price [set the standard] too high?

Goalie coach said:
Your scale (IQ, Skill, Skating, Compete, Misc.) could probably be catered to goaltending a little better. But if you have five points of goaltending, you might only be as good as your worst one. Price is the best because he doesn't have any weaknesses. He might not be the best at each individual point, but overall...top guy of the last while.

Former NHL goalie said:
I never saw a goalie better than Marty [Brodeur]...he's almost like the Gretzky of the position...

Former Pro Goalie said:
Bobrovsky is the most overrated goalie now that Lundqvist is done-zo.

NHL scout said:
(After seeing my tiered list) You overrate Holtby I think.

Former Pro Goalie said:
Chicken or egg? Did Holtby fall apart and the Caps went with him or did the Caps fall apart first...sometimes it's just right place, right time.

NHL scout said:
[Cory] Schneider, [John] Gibson, and [Juuse] Saros on a list like this?!?! That seems crazy to me, but I don't know the history that much

[Jonathan] Quick should be higher than those guys

Former NHL coach said:
(Since lockout) One shot to win it all - [Jonathan] Quick

Goalie Coach said:
Good call on [John] Gibson. He's just not durable. He battles through a lot there.

Former NHL coach said:
(Andrei Vasilevskiy) Freak athlete that reads plays. I don't know how you rank that, but it's a real nice to have.

Former Pro Goalie said:
He couldn't catch the puck, he couldn't play the puck, rebounds...and you have him up at "B"? (Henrik Lundqvist)

Goalie Coach said:
He's a big dude with great reflexes, great athleticism. Ok, so he's not technically perfect...but he works. (Pekka Rinne)

NHL Goalie Coach said:
I'm sorry. He just isn't good. Best defense in the league for a while and you couldn't hit his frame sometimes. (Pekka Rinne)

Former Pro Goalie said:
[Rinne's] not for me. I want someone quieter because that style seems to always break down in the clutch. But he deserves a lot of credit for battling back after that procedure. That's a tough surgery for a goalie to come back from. Just on that alone, put him somewhere.

NHL scout said:
I know [there's a] size difference, but Rinne reminded me of [the older version of] Quick. He's out there slidin around. .... I didn't think his numbers were so good.

NHL scout said:
What's the big difference between Luongo and Rinne?

Former pro and junior coach said:
Fastest feet I've ever seen...until he stood up lol (Tuukka Rask)

Goalie Coach said:
Whoa, Schneids (Cory Schneider)? He was absolutely elite positionally.

Goalie Coach said:
Ryan Miller was a technician.

Former NHL Coach said:
Crow (Corey Crawford) is crossed out? He's a winner. You got a dozen guys that wouldn't be caught dead near the Cup ahead of him...

Former pro and junior coach said:
[Tim Thomas] almost had me believing at the height of it lol but obviously you can't play like that and stick...remember the kid from the OHL that tried to [play that style]?

Former Pro Goalie said:
[Grant] Fuhr was maybe the most entertaining goalie I've seen. Not sure what that's worth...

Canadiens1958 said:
Gump Worsley - a battler, no defined style.

Gilles Meloche another local product, left you wondering what he could do on a good team.

Bernie Parent. Looked like a future great at 15. Inconsistent until he teamed with Jacques Plante in Toronto.

Former Pro Goalie said:
Believe it or not, Chico Resch used to do almost everything [technically] right. Everyone felt bad at the time about the trade.
He also had quite a collection of memorabilia from way back.

Former Pro Goalie said:
I don't remember what happened, but (Donny) Edwards was a good little goalie for a while.

I somehow deleted the attribution to this one said:
[Vladislav] Tretiak is an A. Forget Jiri [Holocek]

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I was wondering if I would be the only person to consider John Gibson. I always really liked him, basically from his draft year onwards, up until fairly recently. Another guy who if you put him on a more relevant team, what would he have done? I did end up ranking him.

I thought hard about Holtby, but man... his decline coincides so directly with Mitch Korn leaving. I think he's probably underrated pre-Korn/Trotz, considering the gongshow that was the Adam Oates regime for those two years in Washington, but I couldn't find a spot. Tough for me to leave off a great puck-handler like him, I'm a sucker for those guys.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I was wondering if I would be the only person to consider John Gibson. I always really liked him, basically from his draft year onwards, up until fairly recently. Another guy who if you put him on a more relevant team, what would he have done? I did end up ranking him.

I thought hard about Holtby, but man... his decline coincides so directly with Mitch Korn leaving. I think he's probably underrated pre-Korn/Trotz, considering the gongshow that was the Adam Oates regime for those two years in Washington, but I couldn't find a spot. Tough for me to leave off a great puck-handler like him, I'm a sucker for those guys.
I considered Gibson, but he didn't make the cut for me. He's another one like Irbe that wouldn't have looked out of place to me in that last bit of the list.

On the other hand, I did find room for Holtby, though not in the top 60. I thought about moving him down a bit at the end, but I didn't end up doing it. My feelings won't be hurt if he doesn't make the final list.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
One point on which I would have preferred Carey Price to have been a little better than he was. He was just good, above average but just good (compared to NHL goalies out there) at tracking and/or understanding where the puck was after a first save or first move.

Had he been elite, as his rebound control, skating and positioning were, this would have helped him greatly when he wasn't 100% (I'm thinking in particular of 2013, when you can clearly see the time in the year when he got injured), and as he was rarely 100% from 2016 onwards, this largely explains the rest of the career.

Reactions: Dr John Carlson

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Anyone know who the kid from the OHL who tried to play like Tim Thomas was?

My memory might be failing me, but gun to my head, I think his name was Mike Murphy and in my head he's associated with Carolina. That doesn't make the answer right, but maybe...

One point on which I would have preferred Carey Price to have been a little better than he was. He was just good, above average but just good (compared to NHL goalies out there) at tracking and/or understanding where the puck was after a first save or first move.

I know this is a near impossible ask, so don't go crazy, but I'm come from a mindset of "it can't hurt to ask" - if you happen to have any video of a goal showing what you're describing, I'd like to see it. Again, your time could be better spent doing anything else, so don't sweat it...

Reactions: Johnny Engine

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I know this is a near impossible ask, so don't go crazy, but I'm come from a mindset of "it can't hurt to ask" - if you happen to have any video of a goal showing what you're describing, I'd like to see it. Again, your time could be better spent doing anything else, so don't sweat it...

I don't have any specific goal in mind -- just the memory of having watched him for well over 700 games.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
My memory might be failing me, but gun to my head, I think his name was Mike Murphy and in my head he's associated with Carolina. That doesn't make the answer right, but maybe...

Played in Belleville? I randomly remembered him recently and wondered what happened to him...I guess he never made it in the pros. Great junior numbers though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad