Hogwarts Legacy (February 10th, 2023) - Mod warning in OP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
So, can you play as a female character as well?

NM: Checked the website and it does show you can be a female or male character. Seems kinda wierd that the trailers don't involve both.

Last edited:

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
I need to see how early you can play with deluxe. I'm morally opposed to spending more than 60/70 for a game
Don't move here to New Zealand, $100 at least is about standard for the big name titles.

There are YT reviewers like LegacyKillaHD, who stay away from taking a side when these extra curriculars happen. If it is a good game, he will say so. If it is a shitty game, he will destroy it.
I've preordered already so if I'm amazed or disappointed it'll be first hand, My embargo starts the moment theirs lifts. Will probably watch some after the fact, but not IGN that was terrible, it was a lot of "I want this to suck because of the extra curriculars," On the bright side it did seem to be winning them over in spite of themselves.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Does anyone know where you can pre-order the physical deluxe in Canada? GameStop told me they’re sold out company wide, BestBuy looks sold out, nowhere seems to have it.

Edit: Amazon has it, ordered it but showing a Feb 14 delivery date..

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
This is the first game my wife will play since Skyrim like 7 years ago. She’s pumped. Ordered herself the deluxe edition on my card too :laugh:

Reactions: 93LEAFS

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
This is the first game my wife will play since Skyrim like 7 years ago. She’s pumped. Ordered herself the deluxe edition on my card too :laugh:

This game is bringing a lot of dormant gamers out of a slumber to play it. I’ve got a couple in my family.

I pre-ordered the deluxe edition so I’m excited to get going on this on Tuesday.

I anticipate this is going to be a wildly successful game regardless of what reviews state. I’m definitely interested to see how the game is received critically once the embargo lifts, though. Especially considering the polarizing nature of the franchise presently.

Early impressions from what I’ve seen look really promising. Seems to tick a lot of the boxes you’d want to experience in a game like this

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
This game is bringing a lot of dormant gamers out of a slumber to play it. I’ve got a couple in my family.

I pre-ordered the deluxe edition so I’m excited to get going on this on Tuesday.

I anticipate this is going to be a wildly successful game regardless of what reviews state. I’m definitely interested to see how the game is received critically once the embargo lifts, though. Especially considering the polarizing nature of the franchise presently.

Early impressions from what I’ve seen look really promising. Seems to tick a lot of the boxes you’d want to experience in a game like this
Some people got their copies early, and while I haven't seen much go into the story, it's all been really favorable so far.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa

I never really trust IGN reviews as they don’t feel authentic a lot of the time

That being said, the reviews rolling in are all quite promising.

I recommend watching ACG’s review. It’s much more comprehensive and paints a really nice picture of what to expect.

Seeing some of them this morning makes me even more hyped.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I never really trust IGN reviews as they don’t feel authentic a lot of the time

That being said, the reviews rolling in are all quite promising.

I recommend watching ACG’s review. It’s much more comprehensive and paints a really nice picture of what to expect.

Seeing some of them this morning makes me even more hyped.
Even though IGN gave it a 9 I still don’t trust it. I usually wait more reviews and fan feedback on Twitter (hash tag search).

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011

86 on 42 critic reviews

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I'm just blown away by how many people seemingly never step foot into Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, Wal Mart, Hot Topic, GameStop, Box Lunch, Target, Universal Studios, movie theaters or any other outlet selling Happy Potter merchandise. Surely they're boycotting those too, right?

Reactions: John Price

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
What is everyones reasoning behind basing a purchase on how it reviews? Personally I don't ever look at reviews, just watch some gameplay videos or trailers, and decide if I want to try it.

Disco Elysium got fantastic reviews all around, but I hated it. Too slow and monotonous, and the setup for getting information was too vague.

Days Gone got terrible reviews, but it was super fun to play, and I wish it would get a sequel.

Reactions: tacogeoff

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
What is everyones reasoning behind basing a purchase on how it reviews? Personally I don't ever look at reviews, just watch some gameplay videos or trailers, and decide if I want to try it.

Disco Elysium got fantastic reviews all around, but I hated it. Too slow and monotonous, and the setup for getting information was too vague.

Days Gone got terrible reviews, but it was super fun to play, and I wish it would get a sequel.
The game is 70 dollars I want to see if it's worth my hard earned money.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

Reviewers aren’t always fans of the given topic. They just review the game. Fan reactions are typically fans of the genre of games or the subject matter themselves

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

Only thing im looking for in reviews are something like major glitches/bugs/freezing ect... If the game is a complete bug fest, i will hold off the same i did with cyberpunk. other than that, i don't really care what the reviews say

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Apparently some big PC issues so far?
" By far the biggest issue in Hogwarts Legacy at the time of this review is performance on the PC build. We’ve seen several games recently with deeply flawed PC builds, and it appears, sadly, that Hogwarts Legacy is one of them. Walking into certain areas will see trees violently shaking themselves like a malfunctioning Whomping Willow, obscuring vision as the framerate drops into the single digits. Walking into Hogsmeade’s town square early in the game every NPC in the square started to shimmer in and out of existence, flickering wildly as the trees slowly grew and shook until basically nothing could be seen. This was one of the worst moments that we saw in terms of performance, but bugs of that calibre were common during the 20 hours we spent with the game. Many sections had poor framerates, making tough jumping puzzles and combat difficult with unpredictable stuttering. "

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The reviews are kind of bizarre. The story is uninteresting, there a bunch of technical issues, and the quests/enemies are mostly recycled throughout a bloated run time. That IGN review has to be the most lukewarm "9" I've ever read.

It sounds best for Harry Potter fans who would enjoy a guided tour throughout the world, which is cool, but not worth $70 to me.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

A couple of things. First, I want to know if there are any gamebreaking bugs or serious issues, and if that's the case should I get it for PS5 or PC if the issues are exclusive to one platform or wait for them to be fixed.

I obviously factor in personal taste. I'm not gonna buy a game that reviews amazing if it is in a genre/style I don't care about. Reviews aren't the be-all and end-all, just another piece of info to inform on a purchase. As for Days Gone, it reviewed badly for a Sony AAA game, but not horrifically, and if I remember there were issues with both the PC launch and the PS4 launch that got fixed over time.
Apparently some big PC issues so far?
" By far the biggest issue in Hogwarts Legacy at the time of this review is performance on the PC build. We’ve seen several games recently with deeply flawed PC builds, and it appears, sadly, that Hogwarts Legacy is one of them. Walking into certain areas will see trees violently shaking themselves like a malfunctioning Whomping Willow, obscuring vision as the framerate drops into the single digits. Walking into Hogsmeade’s town square early in the game every NPC in the square started to shimmer in and out of existence, flickering wildly as the trees slowly grew and shook until basically nothing could be seen. This was one of the worst moments that we saw in terms of performance, but bugs of that calibre were common during the 20 hours we spent with the game. Many sections had poor framerates, making tough jumping puzzles and combat difficult with unpredictable stuttering. "

I wonder if its the typical Unreal shader issues for PC that have plagued a ton of games in recent years before being fixed with a patch, most recently with Callisto Protocol.

One issue with modern reviews though is, reviewers are ulta-cautious on hammering a game too hard for bugs (see CyberPunk 2077) since these could be fixed with a day one patch or an early patch which won't be seen by consumers, and secondly, they only send a review code for the version they are most confident in (Cyberpunk only sent out PC review codes, so people didn't get reviews on the broken versions of the PS4 and X Box One games).

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The reviews are kind of bizarre. The story is uninteresting, there a bunch of technical issues, and the quests/enemies are mostly recycled throughout a bloated run time. That IGN review has to be the most lukewarm "9" I've ever read.

It sounds best for Harry Potter fans who would enjoy a guided tour throughout the world, which is cool, but not worth $70 to me.
I mean, if you just want to ignore all the good he said, and just focus on a the few negatives, I guess that would make it a lukewarm 9.

Reactions: John Price

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad