Hogwarts Legacy (February 10th, 2023) - Mod warning in OP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
What weren't you impressed by?
Acting is pretty stilted, combat isn't particularly novel or engaging, just seems like an incredibly bland game with the Harry Potter IP. Coincidentally I feel the same way about this game as I did about Fallen Order.

Again, we haven't seen a heck of a lot of the game yet.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Actually we know why, but it is for the exact opposite reason you think.

But remember, we can't talk about it. :sarcasm:
Yeah, because people have been so mature at handling these topics in the past that is a good idea to allow conversations on a gaming sub forum of a general hockey board that have nothing to do with the actual game itself or hockey and will only serve to create a political shit fest that I don't want to have to clean up again.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Acting is pretty stilted, combat isn't particularly novel or engaging, just seems like an incredibly bland game with the Harry Potter IP. Coincidentally I feel the same way about this game as I did about Fallen Order.

Again, we haven't seen a heck of a lot of the game yet.
Haven't seen much of the acting as I haven't played it yet and refuse to watch much gameplay of it but I did hear a lot of the motion capture wasn't very good. I would have to play first before I judged the combat. It did look cool in trailers and stuff but of course that could change once got my hands on it.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Yeah, because people have been so mature at handling these topics in the past that is a good idea to allow conversations on a gaming sub forum of a general hockey board that have nothing to do with the actual game itself or hockey and will only serve to create a political shit fest that I don't want to have to clean up again.
I will say this though, be careful of review sites now because apparently ppl are giving it a 0 and commentating ending spoilers and what not. ITS SNAPE KILLS DUMBELDORE ALL OVER AGAIN FFS!!!

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Haven't seen much of the acting as I haven't played it yet and refuse to watch much gameplay of it but I did hear a lot of the motion capture wasn't very good. I would have to play first before I judged the combat. It did look cool in trailers and stuff but of course that could change once got my hands on it.
It did look great in trailers. Then again, I also thought MWII looked good and that game was one of the worst experiences of my life.

I'm resigned to one of three things happening tomorrow: 1. I end up loving the game for it being a good game and not fully relying on being a huge Harry Potter fan. 2. I like content of the game because I am a fan at it hits me in all the nostalgic feels but am disappointed by the gameplay, performance, etc. 3. I don't like the game and am pissed I was so hyped for so long.

I will say this though, be careful of review sites now because apparently ppl are giving it a 0 and commentating ending spoilers and what not. ITS SNAPE KILLS DUMBELDORE ALL OVER AGAIN FFS!!!

Good call. I've been trying to stay away from reading reviews, just watching the scores ebb and flow to see how the actual gamer base feels compared to the critics.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
My goodness, you took my post waaay too seriously.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I know a shit ton of gamers and not a single one of them is boycotting this game because of JK Rowling.

I think y’all are a little TOO online and are getting caught up in the outrage.
I can agree with that. This game is sort of a microcosm of discourse in general I suppose and it's easy to feed into the hysteria by following it online.
I'll keep my discussion focused on the gameplay from here on out. You're right. This isn't the place

Reactions: Gardner McKay

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
SO, as far as gameplay goes...

I've been watching my wife play all day yesterday and I created my character as well. I played through the tutorial section, completing Charms and Defense Against the Dark Arts classes.

If you're a Harry Potter fan this is one of the best games you'll ever play. Completely disagree with the voice acting critique. The game sucks you in and you feel like you're a student at Hogwarts. Play on Hard difficulty if you want the combat to be more challenging because even on normal it's a little button mashy, which makes sense as the game is geared towards younger people and casuals.

The Mrs. and I are totally invested and she's completely taken over my xbox

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
It’s a classic case of “normal people don’t care about these things IRL” with people eating up the outrage hook line and sinker.
The game was always going to make a crap ton of money unless it was ridiculously bad. When was the last major Harry Potter game even released? I remember the PS1 and PS2 versions, but outside of that how many major games have been produced under the name? Take that and the fact the IP is incredibly popular, and you have a huge number of people licking their chops to get a chance to play this game.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The game was always going to make a crap ton of money unless it was ridiculously bad. When was the last major Harry Potter game even released? I remember the PS1 and PS2 versions, but outside of that how many major games have been produced under the name?
The game is selling as much as it is due to review hype, videos of gameplay, and the core concept. Not just because it’s Harry Potter.

Avalanche knocked this out of the park. It’ll probably be GOTY. I’m getting the same initial feeling I got from playing Elden Ring the first time, that “wow this is something special” vibe.

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
Some heavy hitters coming out later this year like Tears of the Kingdom and Starfield but Legacy is definitely the early frontrunner for GOTY.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
The game is selling as much as it is due to review hype, videos of gameplay, and the core concept. Not just because it’s Harry Potter.

Avalanche knocked this out of the park. It’ll probably be GOTY. I’m getting the same initial feeling I got from playing Elden Ring the first time, that “wow this is something special” vibe.
I think you are nitpicking my point a bit too much. I didn't say it was solely because of those reasons.

Also what makes this game seem more robust and worthy of GOTY like Elden Ring? Again, I see more Jedi: Fallen Order than Elden Ring in this game.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
SO, as far as gameplay goes...

I've been watching my wife play all day yesterday and I created my character as well. I played through the tutorial section, completing Charms and Defense Against the Dark Arts classes.

If you're a Harry Potter fan this is one of the best games you'll ever play. Completely disagree with the voice acting critique. The game sucks you in and you feel like you're a student at Hogwarts. Play on Hard difficulty if you want the combat to be more challenging because even on normal it's a little button mashy, which makes sense as the game is geared towards younger people and casuals.

The Mrs. and I are totally invested and she's completely taken over my xbox

We pick up our copy tommorrow. I'm early on in Mass Effect 2 in a big Mass Effect Legendary Edition play through and I've come to terms with that'll I'll have to pause on that as my fiancee is beyond excited for this. She has trouble getting into video games (and Board games for that matter) if it's not an IP she already knows but when it is one, she generally loves them. As such the last games I've managed to get her into were Midnight Suns (incredible game btw) and Marvel's Avengers. I'm looking forward to playing, but doubt she'll give up the Xbox until at least next week :biglaugh:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think you are nitpicking my point a bit too much. I didn't say it was solely because of those reasons.

Also what makes this game seem more robust and worthy of GOTY like Elden Ring? Again, I see more Jedi: Fallen Order than Elden Ring in this game.
The world immersion is fantastic. I grew up reading the books and was basically the same age as Harry was while reading them all. This game brings me back to being 14 years old and makes you feel like you’re a part of it all.

The castle, school grounds, and Hogsmeade all serve their purposes while encouraging active exploration. I haven’t gotten to much of the other parts of the map yet and am only in the first 1/3rd of the narrative so far.

The concept and methodology of learning spells, going to class, learning and brewing potions, etc…all works perfectly and fits the world like a glove. The floo networks used for fast travel as well.

Character interactions and dialogue branches allowing you to choose which type of wizard you want to be are great.

There’s not much of angering I don’t like aside from after playing Elden Ring all OWRPG’s have too easy of combat IMO.

I won’t disagree with someone who says you need to read the books and/or see the movies to fully appreciate this gsme but I’ve done both and like I said, Avalanche knocks it out of the park.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I was waiting for some user reviews to hit before I ordered, and now that I read so many positive reviews I was ready to preorder to get the extra bonuses.

I have a GameStop trade in credit I wanted to use but holy crap what a **** show that place is. I tried to order via the website and it keeps saying free shipping but then tried to charge me $8. So I tried the app. Same thing. I’m not going to pay an extra $8 on principle alone. So I figured I’d call. Nope. Can’t talk to anyone at the local store. They just don’t answer the phone. I’ve tried 6 times over multiple hours. Finally tried to call the 800 number and same thing. Then finally get on hold and the wsit is 45+ minutes. So I leave the phone on speaker and after about 30 minutes gamestop just disconnected me.

If I didn’t have that trade in credit I simply wouldn’t purchase from gamestop. I may not purchase from them again after I use that credit. Ridiculously frustrating.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I was waiting for some user reviews to hit before I ordered, and now that I read so many positive reviews I was ready to preorder to get the extra bonuses.

I have a GameStop trade in credit I wanted to use but holy crap what a **** show that place is. I tried to order via the website and it keeps saying free shipping but then tried to charge me $8. So I tried the app. Same thing. I’m not going to pay an extra $8 on principle alone. So I figured I’d call. Nope. Can’t talk to anyone at the local store. They just don’t answer the phone. I’ve tried 6 times over multiple hours. Finally tried to call the 800 number and same thing. Then finally get on hold and the wsit is 45+ minutes. So I leave the phone on speaker and after about 30 minutes gamestop just disconnected me.

If I didn’t have that trade in credit I simply wouldn’t purchase from gamestop. I may not purchase from them again after I use that credit. Ridiculously frustrating.
I wonder if you can buy a PSN/Xbox digital card from the Gamestop website then use that card to buy the game online? The digital codes are usually emailed in a couple of minutes from what I remember.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I wonder if you can buy a PSN/Xbox digital card from the Gamestop website then use that card to buy the game online? The digital codes are usually emailed in a couple of minutes from what I remember.
That was a good suggestion. Thanks!

I just tried to do it, but unfortunately it won’t let me apply my $5 monthly reward to the purchase because i guess ordering PlayStation gift cards doesn’t qualify. I guess I could order it without the additional $5 discount though.

I might just not preorder it and drive to get it right from the store tomorrow (assuming it’s not sold out by then).

Trying to decide how much I care about the preorder bonuses. I don’t really give a crap about the flying horse (whatever it’s called). But that potion that showed where chests are sounded cool. It only shows them for 24 hours though, and I’m not sure if it’s just a 1 time use or repeatable?

I wonder if that potion will still be available in game if you didn’t preorder. Like I wonder if you can still get the recipe at some point during the game or if it’s only available with preorder.
Does anyone know?

I’m sure I could just use online guides to find any chests I miss too.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The castle, school grounds, and Hogsmeade all serve their purposes while encouraging active exploration. I haven’t gotten to much of the other parts of the map yet and am only in the first 1/3rd of the narrative so far.
How is the castle? Did they give it justice based on the books and the movies? A lot of Easter Eggs to look for?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That was a good suggestion. Thanks!

I just tried to do it, but unfortunately it won’t let me apply my $5 monthly reward to the purchase because i guess ordering PlayStation gift cards doesn’t qualify. I guess I could order it without the additional $5 discount though.

I might just not preorder it and drive to get it right from the store tomorrow (assuming it’s not sold out by then).

Trying to decide how much I care about the preorder bonuses. I don’t really give a crap about the flying horse (whatever it’s called). But that potion that showed where chests are sounded cool. It only shows them for 24 hours though, and I’m not sure if it’s just a 1 time use or repeatable?

I wonder if that potion will still be available in game if you didn’t preorder. Like I wonder if you can still get the recipe at some point during the game or if it’s only available with preorder.
Does anyone know?

I’m sure I could just use online guides to find any chests I miss too.
Best of luck. I'd be a bit surprised if it's sold out. I feel outside of collectors editions, games selling out day one of major releases at stores is pretty rare in an era of digital games. I go to my local gamestore occasionally for the big game releases and they rarely have issues, and they aren't ordering in anywhere near the same bulk. Hence, why I find pre-ordering, in general, a bit nutty (the 3 days early playability here though, I can see being worth the extra 10 bucks/pre-order).

The days of people lining up for individual game releases and midnight drops seem to be a thing of the past. 10-15 years ago, I could see mass lines for games like this, Spider-Man 2, Tears of the Kingdom and Starfield. Now, with digital distribution big stores are likely to get enough copies to tide them over for awhile.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
How is the castle? Did they give it justice based on the books and the movies? A lot of Easter Eggs to look for?
I’m not a huge Easter egg fan so I haven’t noticed specifics yet but the castle is very big and there’s tons to see. The staircase moves too but it doesn’t rotate like in the books. It digitally appears or disappears.

You get XP from finding these Wizarding scrolls all over the map and there’s 25(?) in Hogwarts alone. Kind of like Korok seeds in BOTW, it encourages and rewards exploration.

Reactions: S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad