Hogwarts Legacy (February 10th, 2023) - Mod warning in OP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Loving this game so far.

Very engaging (gotham knights for me was not) and not confusing (elden ring for me was confusing to play at times) to play game.

Would recommend.

Reactions: John Price

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I don't doubt that agenda is at play there, but I'm confused by why the twitter poster only showed images of the parts that are mostly agenda-free (other than the brief mention in the heading). From the responses, it sounds like they actually do get into it explicitly.
you can read the review for yourself, its still up, it barely discusses the actual game,

Apparently Digital Foundry will not cover the game at all. I suspected this, A couple of them especially always gave off THAT vibe. However, I guess if you're gonna take a stand, I figure just not talking about it is better than as a publication actively trumpeting boycott like others have been doing.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
you can read the review for yourself, its still up, it barely discusses the actual game,

I don't doubt it, I just think it's a weird choice of tweet. Weirdly makes himself seem disingenuous/hyperbolic when he isn't, by screenshotting one of the only parts that DOES mostly just discuss the actual game..

You see people point it out in the replies while he gets mad and constantly have to refer to stuff that's actually in the review but that he didn't show (and it's not like he provided a link that people didn't read or something).

Could have saved himself some headaches, is all.

Last edited:

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Loving this game so far.

Very engaging (gotham knights for me was not) and not confusing (elden ring for me was confusing to play at times) to play game.

Would recommend.
Hoping it's not as difficult as Elden ring. Elden ring is psychotically difficult

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
0you can read the review for yourself, its still up, it barely discusses the actual game,

Apparently Digital Foundry will not cover the game at all. I suspected this, A couple of them especially always gave off THAT vibe. However, I guess if you're gonna take a stand, I figure just not talking about it is better than as a publication actively trumpeting boycott like others have been doing.
Yeah that review is mind boggling. Anyone saying the game looks like a PS3/360 game is just blatantly lying.

As for DF, John confirmed on Twitter earlier today that someone at DF will cover the game despite the meltdown he had over the franchise yesterday lol.

Last edited:

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I'm about 18h in. I'd give it a 9/10 so far. I have a couple gripes, but the good far outweighs the bad.

Sometimes I've encountered things where I'm not sure if I'm just doing something wrong, or aren't supposed to be at that point yet. And it can be a little frustrating because after 15 minutes of trying different things I realize I probably don't have the spell I need to yet (although I'm pretty much past the stage of not having enough resources). The map is also huge...maybe a little too big. The open land south of Hogwarts has a lot of filler - a lot of villages with no character, and a lot of boring NPC's and Ubisoft-style side quests. The gear system is also kinda annoying... I'm giving my Slytherin the Dark Arts pre-order look, and every time I want to swap to a better piece of gear, you have to change the visual to the Dark Arts one. And it seems like you get a better piece of gear every 20 minutes, and run out of gear space a lot (I understand there are challenges to unlock more gear equipment space).

With that being said, it's been a fantastic experience. Hogwarts feels as magical and mysterious as it did in the books and in the movie. There are soooo many fine details and despite probably spending 10+ hours running around the castle, I can still find new places I haven't been to yet. I think they nailed the classes - come in, learn a spell or learn about potions or plants, and then go out and do it in the real world to unlock the next stage. The game runs really smoothly (some frame rate dips when it's rendering the next part of the open world). Hodsmeade is pretty cool...they basically combined it with Diagon Alley. I'm really enjoying the storyline and layers going on, from the stuff with your classmate to Professor Fig, to the goblin rebellion. Wondering if they'll be a cool easter egg near the end or at some point!

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The more I play, the more I enjoy it. It is such a straight forward, fun game. As a life long Harry Potter fan, it just hits me right in the feels. Getting to explore Hogsmeade was amazing.

If you're looking for something super difficult or extraordinarily complex, you will likely find it boring. It really isn't for everyone and that is ok.

If you want something straightforward, simple with a bit of mystery, you will probably enjoy it even if you are not a huge Potter fan.

As I get older, now with kids, a very demanding career, etc., my love and available time for super difficult/super complex/major time investment games is fading. Something like this, where my wife and kids both enjoy the game... awesome. I think that is why I have been so stoked since I saw the first trailer in 2020? Or was it 2021. Can't even remember...

Reactions: Rodgerwilco and SPV

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
The game is borderline impossible for me to play on my PC. I am ok for abit then it turns into a slow motion game that is like trying to run underwater.

They need to release patches to fix it as I cannot explore the castle or even get to
any classes.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Amazing game. Everything I wanted it to be and more

Gotta admit I was skeptical that there wasn't gonna be much to do in the open world, but there's more than enough. The detail in this game is really what stands out though, just amazing

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It gives me hope that we’ll get equivalent games for other film/show IP’s. A Game of Thrones or LOTR (not Shadow of Mordor) game of this ilk would be sick as well.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
The game is borderline impossible for me to play on my PC. I am ok for abit then it turns into a slow motion game that is like trying to run underwater.

They need to release patches to fix it as I cannot explore the castle or even get to
any classes.
Apparently they did release a patch. What equipment are you working with?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad