Hogwarts Legacy (February 10th, 2023) - Mod warning in OP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would figure it should be good enough to run it.

AMD 5800x
EVGA 3080 (overclocked)
32GB 3600Mhz
Considering this is supposed to run on a Switch at some point that should be overkill. There are apparent Vram issues with certain settings (if you are running 4K ultra with RT with a 3080 it will kill performance). It's being talked about in the PC thread on this board.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Considering this is supposed to run on a Switch at some point that should be overkill. There are apparent Vram issues with certain settings (if you are running 4K ultra with RT with a 3080 it will kill performance). It's being talked about in the PC thread on this board.
Ok thanks. I will try turning off RT and see if it improves.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I would figure it should be good enough to run it.

AMD 5800x
EVGA 3080 (overclocked)
32GB 3600Mhz
Give this a try

I know every one is fed up hearing about supposed fixes to the stuttering and low FPS issues, but these 3 actually worked for me on a 5600x and 3070. Before I did this, I was getting dips to 20fps and even below, some cutscenes went to single digits. I'm not sure exactly which one fixed it for me since I applied these all at once, but I hope this works for others too!

1. Enable hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling (I had turned this off because it caused issues in another game, I can't remember which one). Windows search for "GPU" to find this setting, a restart is required.
2. Navigate to "AppData\\Local\\Hogwarts Legacy\\Saved\\Config\\WindowsNoEditor" and backup "Engine.ini". Add the following to the bottom of the file and save it:

`[SystemSettings]`

`r.bForceCPUAccessToGPUSkinVerts=True`

`r.GTSyncType=1`

`r.OneFrameThreadLag=1`

`r.FinishCurrentFrame=0`

`r.TextureStreaming=1`

`r.Streaming.PoolSize=3072`

`r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM=1`

​

`[ConsoleVariables]`

`AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdates=1`

`AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdatesDuringGamethreadUpdates=1`

`AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdatesEditor=1`

3. This only applies to Nvidia users, set the shader cache size to 10GB in Nvidia control panel global 3D settings.

​

Edit: Wow! I posted this just before bed and super glad to hear it's working for other people as well - I knew it wasn't placebo! The game definitely still needs some optimization patches, but at least it's actually playable now.

I forgot to mention, if you have a GPU with more than 8GB VRAM, you can change the pool size from 3072 to 4096, this should help even further. Below are the recommended values for r.Streaming.PoolSize depending on your GPU memory:

6GB - 2048

8GB - 3072

12GB+ - 4096-5120 (Some people have reported setting it even higher can help on high-end cards like the 4090). I would recommend trying 4096 first, if you notice no improvement then you can try setting it to half of your GPU's VRAM size. This **only** applies to high end cards with more than 12GB memory.

It seems like the Engine.ini fix seems to do the trick for most people. You might also want to try with TextureStreaming turned off (set to 0), some people have said this gives them even better performance. I've not noticed a difference myself, but it might vary depending on your PoolSize setting. Do not set your PoolSize above 3072 if you have an 8GB GPU as it makes the low frame drops return.

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
I've avoided this thread for the past week and a bit, but I have to say I have throughly enjoyed the game so far. The opening was brilliantly done. Hogwarts itself was brilliant. Probably the only gripe I have except maybe not being enough of it is that lack of aminosity between the houses, or all the house and slytherin. I hope there is some new DLC and they some how manage years 6 and 7... Heck bring back the Triwizard Tournament one year... and if you really want to change things up hold it Durmstrang or Beauxbuton. It would be a real shame to see the world they have built and the lore that exists only used for this.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Here's a helpful video that shows the visual and framerate differences between most of the graphical settings on PC:

No surprise, but turning most settings down to High or even Medium has little impact on visual quality. Two settings that I've read that are better left on Medium are the sky and fog settings, since the volumetrics are demanding.

Edit: Another thing that I've read is that it's important to restart the game after you make changes, so that the shaders can be re-compiled for the new settings.

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
What you guy's think of this game so far? I just started it. it seems pretty cool so far. I love seeing this world
crazy that this game is like breaking records on twitch. I guess even bad press is good press.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
So I have almost zero experience with the HP franchise.

I read the first 50 pages of the first book and decided It wasn't for me, (mind you the train was arriving and the adventure set to begin) I watched the first two movie but with no real motivation and I cant remember much.

I just finished Elden ring yesterday, and I am thinking jumping on this one.
What I am in for ?

AntNYR

Apr 30, 2019
So I have almost zero experience with the HP franchise.

I read the first 50 pages of the first book and decided It wasn't for me, (mind you the train was arriving and the adventure set to begin) I watched the first two movie but with no real motivation and I cant remember much.

I just finished Elden ring yesterday, and I am thinking jumping on this one.
What I am in for ?
It's still a good open world game with fairly interesting combat, decent story, high production values, and attention for detail that's almost unseen in games.

Having said that, the setting and especially Hogwarts castle are what sets this game apart from the Assassins Creeds and whatnots. If you're not at all interested in the world and unwilling to find out more then some of the gameplay might become tedious fast. I'm not a Potter-fan by any means but 10 hours in and it's still fun to just run around and learn about the world.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
If you're not a Potter fan I would suggest waiting a while for a drop in price. I don't think you're going to get full price value enjoyment out of the game.

That being said, as a Potter fan, I'm really loving it so far. The dearth of really good single player games like this set in a somewhat positive universe has me spending a lot of time in this game. It kind of gives me lesser Witcher 3 vibes. The voice acting, dialogue and facial animations are really good and the combat is surprisingly good as well.

Reactions: Linkens Mastery

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not a HP fan and i'm really enjoying it. Love games like this but I can definitely tell if I was a HP fan this game would be perfect.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
It's still a good open world game with fairly interesting combat, decent story, high production values, and attention for detail that's almost unseen in games.

Having said that, the setting and especially Hogwarts castle are what sets this game apart from the Assassins Creeds and whatnots. If you're not at all interested in the world and unwilling to find out more then some of the gameplay might become tedious fast. I'm not a Potter-fan by any means but 10 hours in and it's still fun to just run around and learn about the world.

Is the game a good point of entry to get to know more? I will have to play it at one point, for research purposes.

I am just debating about this vs the rest of the backlog

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
you can read the review for yourself, its still up, it barely discusses the actual game,

Apparently Digital Foundry will not cover the game at all. I suspected this, A couple of them especially always gave off THAT vibe. However, I guess if you're gonna take a stand, I figure just not talking about it is better than as a publication actively trumpeting boycott like others have been doing.
Almost a painfully cringey article. Pathetic that this is even the "work" of a paid "journalist". I'd be surprised if the author had even actually played the game yet.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
The more I play, the more I enjoy it. It is such a straight forward, fun game. As a life long Harry Potter fan, it just hits me right in the feels. Getting to explore Hogsmeade was amazing.

If you're looking for something super difficult or extraordinarily complex, you will likely find it boring. It really isn't for everyone and that is ok.

If you want something straightforward, simple with a bit of mystery, you will probably enjoy it even if you are not a huge Potter fan.

As I get older, now with kids, a very demanding career, etc., my love and available time for super difficult/super complex/major time investment games is fading. Something like this, where my wife and kids both enjoy the game... awesome. I think that is why I have been so stoked since I saw the first trailer in 2020? Or was it 2021. Can't even remember...
This explains my love for Lawn Mowing Simulator lol.

I don't have time or energy to get killed 50 times every dungeon, I just wanna chill.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

AntNYR

Apr 30, 2019
Is the game a good point of entry to get to know more? I will have to play it at one point, for research purposes.

I am just debating about this vs the rest of the backlog
I'd say that this is a good entry point. You're not expected to be familiar with the books / movies in any way, and the game explains everything. And I mean literally everything. At times I feel like I'm reading Lord of the Rings appendices, just in bite-sized skippable portions. Why yes, I would like some backstory on how that one characters uncle's niece's dog's best friend found an interesting shoe.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
I'd say that this is a good entry point. You're not expected to be familiar with the books / movies in any way, and the game explains everything. And I mean literally everything. At times I feel like I'm reading Lord of the Rings appendices, just in bite-sized skippable portions. Why yes, I would like some backstory on how that one characters uncle's niece's dog's best friend found an interesting shoe.
Ill get it tomorrow while I go grocery shopping.
Thx u

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
you can read the review for yourself, its still up, it barely discusses the actual game,

Apparently Digital Foundry will not cover the game at all. I suspected this, A couple of them especially always gave off THAT vibe. However, I guess if you're gonna take a stand, I figure just not talking about it is better than as a publication actively trumpeting boycott like others have been doing.
Don't give her views, because that generates ad reviews from them. Sometimes the best way to deal with these types of people is to let it die by keeping silence against their opiniomn. Giving them attention is all they strive for.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Don't give her views, because that generates ad reviews from them. Sometimes the best way to deal with these types of people is to let it die by keeping silence against their opiniomn. Giving them attention is all they strive for.
Are you suggesting that we... boycott that review? :sarcasm:

Reactions: aleshemsky83

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Flying is a little wonky but I haven’t upgraded my broom yet. Maybe that changes things

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Flying is a little wonky but I haven’t upgraded my broom yet. Maybe that changes things
I was wondering about the wand as well...the basic attack with the first wand doesn't always register, like if I hit the button 10x in a row the blast only comes out maybe 7 times? I assume with a better wand there are no delays from spamming the attack and it woud hit all 10?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad