Hockey Cards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I remember buying a bunch of packs on sale at toys r us and scored a young guns toews...

When do sales on cards usually happen at Walmart for example?

They have them all the time, but I think it varies depending on which you go to. They usually just have a second layer of plastic and a big red sticker that says XX% off with a new price.

I don't really buy cards much, but I picked up two of the 13-14 tins from Wal-Mart a few months back for 20 something Canadian each. I wish they had more since it seems like a pretty solid rookie class. Pulled a MacKinnon, Monahan, and my favourite $1 Young Gun, a Pageau.

I doubt 2015 series 1 will ever go on sale, since it'll probably be in high demand, and I doubt they'll need to clear out stock because as soon as it stops printing, it'll sell out.

As far as the singles vs packs debate, sure, opening packs is fun, but if you completely rule out chasing singles, you're basically just gambling. Other than discounted retail product where you can reasonably expect to retain value in what you open, singles seem like the way to go. If you aren't into the hobby enough that it isn't enjoyable to buy the actual cards you think you'd want, and you only want to open packs, at that point it is just gambling. Why not just buy a lotto 649 or something because it is a lot easier to use the 4 bucks you get back on something than it is to try and sell a UD Canvas Phil Kessel.

Look at Upper Deck series 1 w/McDavid. Before the ePacks came out, McDavid, the most sought after hit, is only about $50 more than a hobby box after tax (in Canada). So you could either buy a hobby box, hope to hit a McDavid and "make" $50 along with a handful of (most likely) 1-3$ hits that you'd have trouble selling.....or you could just buy a McDavid.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
They have them all the time, but I think it varies depending on which you go to. They usually just have a second layer of plastic and a big red sticker that says XX% off with a new price.

I don't really buy cards much, but I picked up two of the 13-14 tins from Wal-Mart a few months back for 20 something Canadian each. I wish they had more since it seems like a pretty solid rookie class. Pulled a MacKinnon, Monahan, and my favourite $1 Young Gun, a Pageau.

I doubt 2015 series 1 will ever go on sale, since it'll probably be in high demand, and I doubt they'll need to clear out stock because as soon as it stops printing, it'll sell out.

As far as the singles vs packs debate, sure, opening packs is fun, but if you completely rule out chasing singles, you're basically just gambling. Other than discounted retail product where you can reasonably expect to retain value in what you open, singles seem like the way to go. If you aren't into the hobby enough that it isn't enjoyable to buy the actual cards you think you'd want, and you only want to open packs, at that point it is just gambling. Why not just buy a lotto 649 or something because it is a lot easier to use the 4 bucks you get back on something than it is to try and sell a UD Canvas Phil Kessel.

Look at Upper Deck series 1 w/McDavid. Before the ePacks came out, McDavid, the most sought after hit, is only about $50 more than a hobby box after tax (in Canada). So you could either buy a hobby box, hope to hit a McDavid and "make" $50 along with a handful of (most likely) 1-3$ hits that you'd have trouble selling.....or you could just buy a McDavid.

I've come out ahead consistently on a bunch of breaks. I'd agree that this year's hobby boxes are probably not the type of product to make that happen though. The Parkhurst packs at $35 CAD...however....that was a bargain. Hoping we'll see more of that, but it could be unlikely given the demand.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Hey guys, I know nothing about hockey cards but I got this one (not my picture, but its the same card) as a gift from a friend. I know its worth around $100 from looking at eBay, but is it worth holding on to? Do cards like this usually appreciate in value over time? Thanks.

Connor-McDavid.jpg

Seider Town

Aug 9, 2014
USA
Hey guys, I know nothing about hockey cards but I got this one (not my picture, but its the same card) as a gift from a friend. I know its worth around $100 from looking at eBay, but is it worth holding on to? Do cards like this usually appreciate in value over time? Thanks.

Connor-McDavid.jpg

Sell while the value is high, it's not a rookie card so it will only go down in value as time goes on. The only McDavids that will go up (assuming he has a HOF career) will be his true Rookie cards and anything short printed (/25 or less).

My opinion.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii

Connor-McDavid.jpg

Sell while the value is high, it's not a rookie card so it will only go down in value as time goes on. The only McDavids that will go up (assuming he has a HOF career) will be his true Rookie cards and anything short printed (/25 or less).

My opinion.

agreed, this is not the kind of card that is an investment.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

My opinion.

I'd agree. Sell while the hype is high.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Connor-McDavid.jpg

If it's photoshoot jersey, sell. If it's game-used, it might be one of his first GU and may hold its value.

If McD leads the Oil to the promised land in that first five years, Crosby-style, this card could go up.

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
Just bought a 2015-16 upper deck series 2 tin, and I'm very dissapointed. Every card in the tin was frayed along the edges and corners. On the top edge, it looked like someone took a blunt object and hit it on every pack in the same spot. The large 3.5 x 5 inch card was a nice Toews card but the corners were also frayed/missing paint. I am hesistant to ever buy another UD pack/box/tin.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Just bought a 2015-16 upper deck series 2 tin, and I'm very dissapointed. Every card in the tin was frayed along the edges and corners. On the top edge, it looked like someone took a blunt object and hit it on every pack in the same spot. The large 3.5 x 5 inch card was a nice Toews card but the corners were also frayed/missing paint. I am hesistant to ever buy another UD pack/box/tin.

Keep the receipt. Call/Email Upper Deck. They will probably give you a replacement.

I'd have to agree that generally they have had some serious quality control issues though.

slackerracker

Jan 16, 2007
New jersey
I'm really tempted to get a case of SP authentic in may when it comes out. Been debating between that or a case of SPx. In the end I'll probably just save my money but it's extremely tempting.

Crosby the Crybaby*

I'm really tempted to get a case of SP authentic in may when it comes out. Been debating between that or a case of SPx. In the end I'll probably just save my money but it's extremely tempting.

How do the prices compare between the two?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

My opinion.

Jumping in here but what is your opinion on the Black Diamond McDavid quad diamonds /99? As a 'true' RC (I believe), do you see it appreciating further as stock/supply gets lower (i.e. all the breaks get done and people stash their cards) or do you think it is peaked due to rookie season hype?

I have a couple of them (purchased, i'm not so lucky as to pull a card like that) and am wondering which is the way to go ...

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO

Sp authentic will likely be a top-3 product this year considering the rookie class and on card autos it provides as well. SPx will hold decent value with the rookie class, but its sticker autos and probably won't hold as much value with releases like SPa, Ultimate, and Cup coming after it.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Is it worth chasing the McDavid Collection autos? Don't want to spend $30 Canadian just for the chance to be something absurd like 1/1000. Anybody find any of these?

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
Coolest pull I ever had... unfortunately this was a long time ago, so the details are a bit blurry.

Every time my parents and I would go to Walmart, they'd let me buy a pack of hockey cards. I saw these bright, new shiny packs, and decided to get a pack. Pulled out a 96-97 Topps Finest Refractor of Wayne Gretzky. I could've sworn it said "Platinum" but now I can't see any reference to metals.. or I can find a reference to Gold in a later year, so perhaps it was a gold. Either way, it said "Rare" or "Ultra Rare" on it, but it wasn't yet listed in the Beckett.

I took it to school and showed it off. Showed everyone. Even had it stolen by a friend. Did some detective work, found out who did it, and got it back.

Next Beckett came out and I bought it. It was worth $1200 and was ranked as the most sought-after card that year.

I couldn't believe it, nor could my parents. We put it in the bank in a lock box.

Then I watched as the value plummeted over the course of the next year or so. When it got down to $600 or so, I sold it. I think I sold it for like $380 or something.

If I remember correctly, it ended up with a value even less than that, but I don't have a clue what it's worth now. Sometimes I still wonder. Anyone know?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Looks like Series 2 is dropping in price. DACardworld has them on sale for $65 USD.

It'd be cool to have an Eichel YG, but the rest is pretty unappealing. Certainly not going to pay the $95 CAD they want for it here. The E-Packs should be available any day too. They held back a bunch of the hits for the E-Packs, which makes the hobby boxes even less appealing.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Just waiting for SP authentic, $130 a box is steep but that was expected this year. Too bad no Eichel FWA

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Looks like Series 2 is dropping in price. DACardworld has them on sale for $65 USD.

It'd be cool to have an Eichel YG, but the rest is pretty unappealing. Certainly not going to pay the $95 CAD they want for it here. The E-Packs should be available any day too. They held back a bunch of the hits for the E-Packs, which makes the hobby boxes even less appealing.

You collect graded cards right? So I can see the appeal of boxes/pack fresh cards. But otherwise, I just can't see the point of buying Series 2 via boxes or packs.

For less than the cost of a hobby box at retail, most people will probably be able to go on Comc and complete the YG collection minus Eichel.

Eichel is already down to 60-70 Canadian (+shipping) on eBay. I can't see it being wise to buy him now.

There are obviously some good hits in hobby boxes, like a Canvas McDavid YG, but the odds of pulling that are so astronomically low compared to what it goes for right now before it goes down in price as more become available. RIght now it is worth what? $250 CAD. They run only 1 in every 2 hobby boxes, and that is for the entire YG Canvas not just McDavid.

I'm not anti-epack, but I'd be very apprehensive about buying any cards at retail for a few years until it can be determined what sort of effect epacks have on the value of cards, and whether they significantly hurt the value of what can be pulled out of hobby boxes that end up being available as epack releases.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You collect graded cards right? So I can see the appeal of boxes/pack fresh cards. But otherwise, I just can't see the point of buying Series 2 via boxes or packs.

For less than the cost of a hobby box at retail, most people will probably be able to go on Comc and complete the YG collection minus Eichel.

Eichel is already down to 60-70 Canadian (+shipping) on eBay. I can't see it being wise to buy him now.

There are obviously some good hits in hobby boxes, like a Canvas McDavid YG, but the odds of pulling that are so astronomically low compared to what it goes for right now before it goes down in price as more become available. RIght now it is worth what? $250 CAD. They run only 1 in every 2 hobby boxes, and that is for the entire YG Canvas not just McDavid.

I'm not anti-epack, but I'd be very apprehensive about buying any cards at retail for a few years until it can be determined what sort of effect epacks have on the value of cards, and whether they significantly hurt the value of what can be pulled out of hobby boxes that end up being available as epack releases.

I agree. I'm not buying any series 2 right now. I might buy a couple of hobby boxes if I can find them in the $70 CAD or less range. That would be just for fun.

If I can find some blasters for $15 or less, I might buy a few of those too. I already have a canvas Eichel YG. And it looks like the rest of the Series 2 crop is garbage outside of Eicheil.

But yeah for me, I like to grade my high end rookies. So it's pretty much a necessity that I pull them myself. From my experience, a lot of the cards you buy individually are rejects from other graders. So they're on average in worse shape than pack pulled cards.

I typically only a buy a few hobby boxes and then get the rest on discount. This year I bought, 10 hobby boxes, which was way out the normal range. That was also before I found out about a large portion of hits being reserved for the e-packs.

Jonsson

May 28, 2010
Vetlanda, Sweden
just got a lol experience here in sweden...a women found out I was a collector and wanted to sell me some cards...2000 various cards from the 90's...best card a Fordberg worth about 30$...said she got a great deal for me...all 2000 cards for 3000$....wowXD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad