Hockey Cards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Anyone have any info about this card, such as, what's the "Edmonton Summit" stamp all about? Is it really limited to "1 of 1", or was it some sort of promo to show what the set looked like? A pre-emptive "thank you" to anyone that can help. ( sorry if the image doesn't work, this is my first try. I may have some learning to do. We'll see.)

1JwXe8

Edit: trying again...
rkV5RTqHB3kU9rVB9

Screw it, never mind...

fixed for you
26808333596_11058aff90.jpg

It is a promo card which ITG does a lot, it could be a real 1/1 or it could be an extra card that they had in storage as an extra or replacement that they then stamped to make it 1/1 when no one claimed it.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
fixed for you
26808333596_11058aff90.jpg

It is a promo card which ITG does a lot, it could be a real 1/1 or it could be an extra card that they had in storage as an extra or replacement that they then stamped to make it 1/1 when no one claimed it.

There are a bunch of the same card on eBay. It's the expo stamp that makes it a 1/1.

ITG is pretty notorious for doing this. They take s common card, put a stamp on it, and call it a 1/1.

They've also been releasing more copies of limited cards to do this. So that /5 card you think you have might have more copies out there.

Gigajiblet

May 5, 2016
There are a bunch of the same card on eBay. It's the expo stamp that makes it a 1/1.

ITG is pretty notorious for doing this. They take s common card, put a stamp on it, and call it a 1/1.

They've also been releasing more copies of limited cards to do this. So that /5 card you think you have might have more copies out there.

Thanks for the info, folks. Appreciate it. I reckon I won't be getting rich by unloading this one. Probably just keep it, for the $20 I paid.

Brigid1011*

Geez times have changed I kept a lot of my cards from the 70s and 80s but I dont think they are worth much. Broduer rookie etc. alot of guys now in the hall. All 4 major sports In a shoebox All in covers. Is it even worth trying to sell any of them ?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Geez times have changed I kept a lot of my cards from the 70s and 80s but I dont think they are worth much. Broduer rookie etc. alot of guys now in the hall. All 4 major sports In a shoebox All in covers. Is it even worth trying to sell any of them ?

Yes.

It was the 90's when cards got massed produced so are bit worth much. The 70's and early 80's have value.

choccy

Sep 17, 2010
London UK
Anyone know when Uppper-Decks App is out?

Sadly so far, it's very poor quality compared to what Topps have done (although they could improve a lot also).

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
How would you go about selling a mass of hockey cards together? I doubt people would appreciate the cards just being left in a sleeve in a binder and sent that way. Would I have to individually put them in loaders for them to be sold together, or is there a way I can safely ship them without doing so?

Odd question to ask, but I am wondering what some of your opinions and suggestions would be.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
People still collect hockey cards?

Hockey Cards are dead compared to their heyday I would guess. But, McDavid has brought a lot of people back into the hobby which is bad if you were already collecting and like to buy boxes/packs because the prices have gone up and the value of what you can pull has gone way down, but it is great if you collect a specific team or player that isn't at the top of the demand list **cough**Ottawa Senators**cough** because people are dumping great pulls for almost nothing.

I've only been into hockey cards for a short period of time, and haven't bought a lot of packs, but it is at the point where unless I were to find a product I really like from a past year at a can't miss discount, I doubt I'll ever buy sealed boxes or packs again.

Aside from long shots like case hits or other super low probability cards, depending on what team you collect, instead of buying a box which might get you 5 hits for $150, you can just go on eBay and buy 5 hits you would have wanted for significantly less than half the price of the box.

Upper Deck has no real reason to offer people value because they have zero competitors, and people will keep buying their overpriced products to try and pull McDavid this year, and next year probably Matthews. As long as they keep getting these hugely hyped rookies, they can keep doing what they are doing now.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
What's the cheapest site for a student on a budget to get specific base cards, is it still Sportlots? I need to get final season base cards for the notable guys who retired in the last couple seasons, falling a bit behind on my collection.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I've recently sold all my cards but a few, I had some outstanding redemptions from Panini that I had forgotten about. Tried to request replacements and calling but got no answer. Ended up googling for a contact in the company. Sent them an e-mail and didn't hear anything after a few weeks. The status of all of them was changed and they sent out replacements....I think I did very well.

My original redemptions were:
12-13 Limited NYR Rookie Redemption /499
12-13 Limited Phenoms Jaden Schwartz Auto Rookie /499
12-13 Limited Phenoms Riley Sheahan Auto Rookie /499
12-13 Prime Marc-Andre Fleury Auto patch /25

The Limited redemptions were bought in a big lot of Limited GU/Autos. I think I paid $13 and it included about 10 other non-redemption cards. The Fleury I bought expired on ebay for about $5. Panini honors their expired redemptions, unlike Upper Deck.

In my e-mail, I said that I was happy to accept replacements, but I was hoping to get the Fleury as I collect him. They ended up replacing them all with MAF cards, which was fine by me, I got:

11-12 Score Autograph (potential SP, could not find one current or previous listed online anywhere)
11-12 Dominion Private Signings
12-13 Dominion Autographed Patches /25 (3 colors)
...and one of my favorite cards I have ever receieved...12-13 Dominion Peerless Patches Autographed /25...the swatch is the eye of the Penguin logo.
s-l1600.jpg

I thought that was a pretty great trade off for me. I don't know if they are just getting rid of their inventory since they lost out on the NHL license or I just got lucky, but I may start searching for Panini redemption cards to buy just to get them replaced.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
What's the cheapest site for a student on a budget to get specific base cards, is it still Sportlots? I need to get final season base cards for the notable guys who retired in the last couple seasons, falling a bit behind on my collection.

Comc.com can be good for buying multiple cheap cards because you can buy from multiple different people and just pay one shipping cost. It probably isn't in issue with base, but sometimes prices for cards listed on comc might be inflated.

There are sellers on eBay who sell individual base cards to complete sets, so you might have luck there. If the cards you want were in UD series 1/2, you can actually buy full base sets for dirt cheap. I understand you probably don't want the entire set, but you can get all 400 cards for 20ish on eBay, so if you are looking for enough cards it probably beats paying .50-1 dollar +shipping for each individual one you want from sellers selling singles.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
People still ask stupid questions.. wait, that one is rhetorical. :D

Just having fun. Gotta tease a teaser.

Do 10 year olds still take them to school and trade them at recess? I remember the frenzied 15 minutes of action in our frozen Winnipeg schoolyard and the furtive trades constantly going on during class time (to the point that the beleaguered educational authorities gave in and designated a trading period indoors as well). I have a feeling that such chaos would not be allowed today.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hockey Cards are dead compared to their heyday I would guess. But, McDavid has brought a lot of people back into the hobby which is bad if you were already collecting and like to buy boxes/packs because the prices have gone up and the value of what you can pull has gone way down, but it is great if you collect a specific team or player that isn't at the top of the demand list **cough**Ottawa Senators**cough** because people are dumping great pulls for almost nothing.

I've only been into hockey cards for a short period of time, and haven't bought a lot of packs, but it is at the point where unless I were to find a product I really like from a past year at a can't miss discount, I doubt I'll ever buy sealed boxes or packs again.

Aside from long shots like case hits or other super low probability cards, depending on what team you collect, instead of buying a box which might get you 5 hits for $150, you can just go on eBay and buy 5 hits you would have wanted for significantly less than half the price of the box.

Upper Deck has no real reason to offer people value because they have zero competitors, and people will keep buying their overpriced products to try and pull McDavid this year, and next year probably Matthews. As long as they keep getting these hugely hyped rookies, they can keep doing what they are doing now.

I've noticed that non-McDavid cards from this year are lower, but my stuff from previous years is going up in value.

It does suck that the price of wax is up though. I managed to find some cheap retail to get my fix of series 1/2 though. E cards really ruined hobby. They held back so many hits. You open many hobby boxes with no hobby hits.

Heard good things score spa this year though.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Comc.com can be good for buying multiple cheap cards because you can buy from multiple different people and just pay one shipping cost. It probably isn't in issue with base, but sometimes prices for cards listed on comc might be inflated.

There are sellers on eBay who sell individual base cards to complete sets, so you might have luck there. If the cards you want were in UD series 1/2, you can actually buy full base sets for dirt cheap. I understand you probably don't want the entire set, but you can get all 400 cards for 20ish on eBay, so if you are looking for enough cards it probably beats paying .50-1 dollar +shipping for each individual one you want from sellers selling singles.

Not sure comc will have that many base cards. Three is a listing fee. So listing base cards probably isn't worth it. Most people just throw them out. I build a few sets for myself then give them to charities or kids on Craigslist for free.

There some people who list on eBay a complete your set listing. You get to pick any five cards for a dollar. Shipping fees will add up, but might be the cheapest option.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Do 10 year olds still take them to school and trade them at recess? I remember the frenzied 15 minutes of action in our frozen Winnipeg schoolyard and the furtive trades constantly going on during class time (to the point that the beleaguered educational authorities gave in and designated a trading period indoors as well). I have a feeling that such chaos would not be allowed today.

Nah, the primary buyers of hockey cards seem to be older fans with disposable income.

At least when I was a kid hockey cards were already irrelevant, it was all about the Pokemon then the Yu-Gi-Oh.

In both cases with Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh they got banned school wide because too many kids would either fleece kids in lower grades, or someone would make a legitimate trade but regret it later on. So kids started dealing cards in the shadows, and if you got caught, you'd have your stash confiscated until the end of the school year.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
How would you go about selling a mass of hockey cards together? I doubt people would appreciate the cards just being left in a sleeve in a binder and sent that way. Would I have to individually put them in loaders for them to be sold together, or is there a way I can safely ship them without doing so?

Odd question to ask, but I am wondering what some of your opinions and suggestions would be.

Depends on the buyer. I have bought binders of cards and have seen many for sale.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Who else is excited for Champs?

No way I'd pay $100 for a hobby box, but if the past is any indication, the singles should be dirt cheap.

My only big criticism is that after watching a few box breaks, it seems like mini cards aren't very prevalent. I love those things.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis

No way I'd pay $100 for a hobby box, but if the past is any indication, the singles should be dirt cheap.

My only big criticism is that after watching a few box breaks, it seems like mini cards aren't very prevalent. I love those things.

New to collecting and not familiar with the Champs set, are the random cards put into packs a thing they've always done? Never heard of that before

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii

The cards look great, i'll definitely be looking for singles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad