Hockey Cards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigid1011*

I have a box in my closet

NHL
NFL
Nba
Mlb

About 1000 cards
All in sleeves.
80s and 90s mostly

Some big names and rookie cards etc

Is it worth even trying to determine value ?

zeeto

Oct 28, 2011
Endwell, NY
I'm not anti-epack, but I'd be very apprehensive about buying any cards at retail for a few years until it can be determined what sort of effect epacks have on the value of cards, and whether they significantly hurt the value of what can be pulled out of hobby boxes that end up being available as epack releases.
I'm just wondering when S1 will run out. I thought originally they said the S1 e-packs would be "limited", but it is months later and you can still buy cases upon cases of the stuff.

zeeto

Oct 28, 2011
Endwell, NY
I have a box in my closet

NHL
NFL
Nba
Mlb

About 1000 cards
All in sleeves.
80s and 90s mostly

Some big names and rookie cards etc

Is it worth even trying to determine value ?
To put it in perspective I sold a huge chunk of my childhood collection, ~7.5k commons from the late 80s/early 90s, about 6 months ago for $100, and felt like I made out like a bandit.

Daniel51

Sep 13, 2011
just got a lol experience here in sweden...a women found out I was a collector and wanted to sell me some cards...2000 various cards from the 90's...best card a Fordberg worth about 30$...said she got a great deal for me...all 2000 cards for 3000$....wowXD

Lol amazing

Daniel51

Sep 13, 2011
I'm just wondering when S1 will run out. I thought originally they said the S1 e-packs would be "limited", but it is months later and you can still buy cases upon cases of the stuff.

Yeah I really wish it would sell out already, before the market gets too flooded. People need to just stop buying, and it'll magically be 'sold-out'. This may happen next week when S2 is released on epack. I'd love to know how much they've produced compared to say 14-15 series one. Probably like 10 times the amount. It's kinda scary.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

I think the E-Packs are limited. Numbered hits are still coming out of them at the usual pace.

The issue is that E-Packs just haven't been as popular as they expected. I also think they held back more hits for the E-Packs than they let people know about. Don't think we ever got a confirmation of just how many hits were held back.

I also don't think the surplus of production is as big as people are letting on. Yes there was way more hobby. However, hobby is always limited, and it's the amount of retail, which determines the total supply. This year, retail was actually relatively hard to find. The increased prices in Canada also probably kept a lot of people away. $29.99 + tax for a blaster was simply too much. And unlike other years, the retail never went on sale (apart from that initial $35 Walmart blaster box sale upon release).

I think it's a situation where the collectors all got their Young Guns. However, what really determines value is demand in the future. If McDavid becomes a Crosby, in 10 years, a whole new generation of collectors will be looking to get a McDavid YG and willing to pay for it.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
It's a marketing gimmick. Upper Deck has really gone downhill

I'd take Upper Deck a million times over the stuff Panini released. Aside from redemptions that didn't expire, there wasn't much good with Panini. The epack is just their version of topps bunt and topps huddle, but with actual cards. I don't think they are relying on epack to make sales or specifically sell a certain amount. It's just there as a supplement. If they wanted it to succeed that badly, they would have sold other products on it like contours and sPx, and would have already made it a lot more user friendly with apps and bug fixes.

zeeto

Oct 28, 2011
Endwell, NY
Coincidentally it's the same day that S2 e-packs are released :laugh:

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I'd take Upper Deck a million times over the stuff Panini released. Aside from redemptions that didn't expire, there wasn't much good with Panini. The epack is just their version of topps bunt and topps huddle, but with actual cards. I don't think they are relying on epack to make sales or specifically sell a certain amount. It's just there as a supplement. If they wanted it to succeed that badly, they would have sold other products on it like contours and sPx, and would have already made it a lot more user friendly with apps and bug fixes.

Their selling Series 2 and MVP on there now. It's basically a slot machine and I think supplementary to traditional retail sales, but this was the year to do it with the McDavid/Eichel hype. Also Contours is a brand new product and along with sPx, is a very exclusive buy with a high price point, It's much easier to checkout and open 4 or 5 digital packs of Series 1 hoping for a nice hit than to drop $30.00 on a single contour pack.

I bought a Hobby Box of Countour, you know what the biggest hit was? A high profile fan named Rachel Nichols with a swatch of a Nucks jersey she wore to a game. As a hockey fan, I was pretty disappointed. The cards in general are selling for pennies on the dollar on the secondary market.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Their selling Series 2 and MVP on there now. It's basically a slot machine and I think supplementary to traditional retail sales, but this was the year to do it with the McDavid/Eichel hype. Also Contours is a brand new product and along with sPx, is a very exclusive buy with a high price point, It's much easier to checkout and open 4 or 5 digital packs of Series 1 hoping for a nice hit than to drop $30.00 on a single contour pack.

I bought a Hobby Box of Countour, you know what the biggest hit was? A high profile fan named Rachel Nichols with a swatch of a Nucks jersey she wore to a game. As a hockey fan, I was pretty disappointed. The cards in general are selling for pennies on the dollar on the secondary market.

There are some really nice rookie auto patches in there. Otherwise, the set list for contours is lacking though.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I bought a Hobby Box of Countour, you know what the biggest hit was? A high profile fan named Rachel Nichols with a swatch of a Nucks jersey she wore to a game. As a hockey fan, I was pretty disappointed.

Which Rachel Nichols was it - the actress or the sportscaster ????

Actress

e08f91b04ebf444e7ca417975873a69e.jpeg

Sportscaster

Rachel-Nichols-ESPN.jpg

Either way - I'd be pretty disappointed too if that was my " best " card from a box. :(

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Which Rachel Nichols was it - the actress or the sportscaster ????

Actress

e08f91b04ebf444e7ca417975873a69e.jpeg

Sportscaster

Rachel-Nichols-ESPN.jpg

Either way - I'd be pretty disappointed too if that was my " best " card from a box. :(

Probably actress. She stars in a Vancouver based TV show Continuum. Among all the many TV shows filmed in Vancouver.... That show is also set in Vancouver!!!!

I like Rachel Nichols... But as for a "famous person" she isn't all that famous that a card of her would increase or maintain it's value over time. Unless she has a way bigger future project then Continuum.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO

First off, you shouldn't really open a product and expect a large return investment. And I was simply comparing Upper Deck to panini. At least upper deck as some on card autos in their lower end products and actually has cards that look clean and don't chip.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
First off, you shouldn't really open a product and expect a large return investment. And I was simply comparing Upper Deck to panini. At least upper deck as some on card autos in their lower end products and actually has cards that look clean and don't chip.

Meh...I disagree somewhat on a product like Contours.

It's a 4pack/box product that retails for $129.99 USD. So it's more of a mid-range product.

Like I said before, there is actual value there though. Unfortunately, it's a very hit or miss product. The base/parallels and regular patches are very weak. The patches with on card autos are quite valuable.

Generally, that seems to be the theme this year. Mostly the McDavid factor IMO. Everything is expensive and you won't get much value, unless you get lucky and hit the McDavid.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Meh...I disagree somewhat on a product like Contours.

It's a 4pack/box product that retails for $129.99 USD. So it's more of a mid-range product.

Like I said before, there is actual value there though. Unfortunately, it's a very hit or miss product. The base/parallels and regular patches are very weak. The patches with on card autos are quite valuable.

Generally, that seems to be the theme this year. Mostly the McDavid factor IMO. Everything is expensive and you won't get much value, unless you get lucky and hit the McDavid.

But is that any different from any other year? Artifacts, spx, spgu, etc. have never been nessacarily safe products to bust. We still have releases like Spa, black, premier, and others to look forward too that should provide more bang or at least variety.

Gigajiblet

May 5, 2016
Matt Murray 2012-13 ITG Between Pipes Game-used Jersey Summit Card 1of1 AA495

Anyone have any info about this card, such as, what's the "Edmonton Summit" stamp all about? Is it really limited to "1 of 1", or was it some sort of promo to show what the set looked like? A pre-emptive "thank you" to anyone that can help. ( sorry if the image doesn't work, this is my first try. I may have some learning to do. We'll see.)

1JwXe8

Edit: trying again...
rkV5RTqHB3kU9rVB9

Screw it, never mind...

Mar 12, 2009

I've been out of the hobby for a while now, but wow I never expected something like that to become a "thing" in sports card sets. That's kind of pathetic.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
First off, you shouldn't really open a product and expect a large return investment.

But can I expect to get a card with a hockey player on it? Thats reasonable, no?

She's cute and i'm sure has a small following but I don't buy hobby boxes to get a card of her. Especially when the specific card I pull is the rarest insert in the whole box.

And I was simply comparing Upper Deck to panini. At least upper deck as some on card autos in their lower end products and actually has cards that look clean and don't chip.

I can only speak from my own personal experience. In the last two years I have opened some GARBAGE Upper Deck. Decent name Young Guns with chipping, bad corners, right out the middle of the pack from the middle of a sealed box. Leads me to believe their Quality Control is questionable at best. I don't go for too much Panini stuff, but the singles I've got on the secondary market have all been in excellent condition. UD is the standard and will be but I do feel they are getting too gimmicky and greedy.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
But can I expect to get a card with a hockey player on it? Thats reasonable, no?

She's cute and i'm sure has a small following but I don't buy hobby boxes to get a card of her. Especially when the specific card I pull is the rarest insert in the whole box.

I can only speak from my own personal experience. In the last two years I have opened some GARBAGE Upper Deck. Decent name Young Guns with chipping, bad corners, right out the middle of the pack from the middle of a sealed box. Leads me to believe their Quality Control is questionable at best. I don't go for too much Panini stuff, but the singles I've got on the secondary market have all been in excellent condition. UD is the standard and will be but I do feel they are getting too gimmicky and greedy.

I'm no advocate for upper deck, I like them, but I'm not affiliated in any way. I think expecting cards to come perfect in every pack is like expecting a bag of chips to have no crumbs. Plus some specific sets are more prone to chipping than others.

I do agree with you though, every card company could do a better job of quality control. Seeing boxes without the advertised amount of hits is unacceptable, as is getting smeared autos. I don't care if the player used a bad one, they shouldn't be in products.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm no advocate for upper deck, I like them, but I'm not affiliated in any way. I think expecting cards to come perfect in every pack is like expecting a bag of chips to have no crumbs. Plus some specific sets are more prone to chipping than others.

I do agree with you though, every card company could do a better job of quality control. Seeing boxes without the advertised amount of hits is unacceptable, as is getting smeared autos. I don't care if the player used a bad one, they shouldn't be in products.

I do miss some of the Panini series, I think having two companies pushed both more than if one has the rights (no matter who), lot of the sets from Upper Deck this season are just lazy work..

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What's the best way to sell off hockey and baseball card collections? Is it better to use EBay, a local dealer or a card show?

Or can one get an evaluation, donate it to a charity and get a tax receipt for the estimated value? If anyone has done this, please advise on steps taken.

I have tons of product I foolishly acquired in the late 80s and 90s and I know it's not worth all that much but it's taking up space, I'll never look at it again. What a worthless venture it all was, I've been regretting for years and seeing it gathering dust just makes me all the more disgusted.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad