Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

If it's heritage auctions, let's just say that whole graded video game shit came back and bit them in the ass.

If what the court docs say are true, you can bet the record Gretzky sale and that Gretzky case were shill bid to the sun.

100% wouldn't be surprised if they opened it and took something out and replaced it with worse copies.

View attachment 827599

Not my sale but this is an all time eBay excuse
I accidentally bid 400 dollars on a card when I only wanted to do 40 and won the card for 80 some dollars and it's worth maybe 40 bucks now...

Another time my phone frozen and I put 1,000, but it was early, so I was able to cancel my bid.

budaj guy

Mar 7, 2012
Northern Alberta
It's a line from a movie, bruh.

wouldn't the market fall under "all things"?

Personal attacks ain't gonna get you anywhere, and if you read my opinions as "know it all" that's on you. If people are asking what they think card values are or are going to be ill give my opinion and have years beyond a pandemic of experience to back it up.

I like this thread, too. So much so I was going to give away a Bedard YG with the only rule being you had to watch the ten case break livestream which I was gonna link here next friday.

Should I scratch your name off that list?
Sure, you have nothing I need…bruh

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Never said he would live up to the hype.

But, that has no bearing on his card prices compared to McDavids. There's a ton of factors in play beyond what they do on the ice. Bedard plays for the most popular NHL team in the states, UD made a ton of different sets McDavids year,etc.

To say Mcdavids prices are the bar for Bedard, when Bedards prices out the gate are twice what McDavids were, is pure folly. Hype or no hype, unless McDavid wins three cups in a row he's in Bedards rear view for the foreseeable future and it's really not debatable.

Edit- and for the record, im selling bedard as fast as i get them. I have zero stake in ultra modern cards outside of flipping them. By this years draft i will make at least 500k on bedard and im not collecting, hoarding, or even keeping one for myself as a hawks fan. Im letting all these social media influencers do my work for me this time around.
So please explain the math on how you will make $500,000 profit on Bedard rookies? Let's say they sell at $1000, are you getting five hundred (500) Bedard cards at one dollar cost and selling them all? Are you getting five thousand (5000) Bedard cards at $100 each and selling them all? Would love to know how you get these, inside job at Upper Deck?

Reactions: gimbznyr

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Never said he would live up to the hype.

But, that has no bearing on his card prices compared to McDavids. There's a ton of factors in play beyond what they do on the ice. Bedard plays for the most popular NHL team in the states, UD made a ton of different sets McDavids year,etc.

To say Mcdavids prices are the bar for Bedard, when Bedards prices out the gate are twice what McDavids were, is pure folly. Hype or no hype, unless McDavid wins three cups in a row he's in Bedards rear view for the foreseeable future and it's really not debatable.

Edit- and for the record, im selling bedard as fast as i get them. I have zero stake in ultra modern cards outside of flipping them. By this years draft i will make at least 500k on bedard and im not collecting, hoarding, or even keeping one for myself as a hawks fan. Im letting all these social media influencers do my work for me this time around.

Only 500k? I'll make at minimum a mil. Not all of us are filthy rich and gifted like me tho

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Aren’t you guaranteed two of his YG in 2 cases?
No. Your aren't even guaranteed one. You get 72 YGs in a case and there are fifty in the set. You could get 2. You also typically are missing 2-4 YGs from the set too though.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
1709500522322.png

idk if i posted this one yet but 22-23 UDS2 ygs are in relative low qtys on epack just because it's overpriced so nobodys opening packs. If anyone comes across rare Brandt stuff pm me

gimbznyr

Jul 23, 2021
So please explain the math on how you will make $500,000 profit on Bedard rookies? Let's say they sell at $1000, are you getting five hundred (500) Bedard cards at one dollar cost and selling them all? Are you getting five thousand (5000) Bedard cards at $100 each and selling them all? Would love to know how you get these, inside job at Upper Deck?
This those numbers don't quite work out lol

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
This those numbers don't quite work out lol
Or is he using his Nolan Ryan swap example and in his math failing to account for the worth of the Nolan or what it took to acquire it and just calling it 100% profit? If I sell my house for $500K , it ain’t pure profit.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Really? I thought a true RC has to be part of a base set and numbered to at least 99. Who decides these things anyways? Arggggh.

Thats what i always thought. only the base was the RC. but not it seems like every one of 12 variants in a single sets are considered "RCs"

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Thats what i always thought. only the base was the RC. but not it seems like every one of 12 variants in a single sets are considered "RCs"
I don't know, but that seems bogus. If someone yells "Fire!", it doesn't necessarily mean the house is burning.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
The rules for what is a "RC" were originally defined by Beckett magazine. When I got back into the hobby I had to make my own definition of "RC" because the Beckett ones were so egregious. For example, Joe Thorntons "RC" (according to Beckett) is a card from 1996 with him in a Team Canada jersey. The problem is that he was not even an NHL player when that card came out. That is not a rookie card, I don't care if a dusty old magazine decided to call it one, they were wrong. The Sedin Twins "RCs" are from 1997 (3 years before they were in the NHL!) with them wearing Sweden jerseys. They legitimately look like they were 15 years old when the photo was taken lol. Again, not a rookie card. I don't know why people accepted such nonsensical definitions in the first place.

The rules I came up with for myself (if anyone cares)

1) Must be from AFTER their professional debut,

Doesn't even need to be from the rookie season, just their first card after they have made their NHL debut. Anything predating their NHL career is a prospect card and not a true rookie

2) Card must be from the base set, but does not need to be a "base card" (parallels count as true rookies)

Inserts or other non-base set cards are rookie year cards, but not true rookie cards, that distinction is important.

3) Card must be licensed by the NHL and the NHLPA

4) Card must be pack inserted

5) Bonus rule, must depict the player in their professional uniform or something close. Shots fired at that horrible Bure card in rollerblades lol

Anything that meets that criteria I consider a rookie card.

Reactions: Hippasus

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
This is the same guy who thinks Kevin Korchinski is a bust at 19 because he has bad +/- numbers.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
The rules for what is a "RC" were originally defined by Beckett magazine. When I got back into the hobby I had to make my own definition of "RC" because the Beckett ones were so egregious. For example, Joe Thorntons "RC" (according to Beckett) is a card from 1996 with him in a Team Canada jersey. The problem is that he was not even an NHL player when that card came out. That is not a rookie card, I don't care if a dusty old magazine decided to call it one, they were wrong. The Sedin Twins "RCs" are from 1997 (3 years before they were in the NHL!) with them wearing Sweden jerseys. They legitimately look like they were 15 years old when the photo was taken lol. Again, not a rookie card. I don't know why people accepted such nonsensical definitions in the first place.

The rules I came up with for myself (if anyone cares)

1) Must be from AFTER their professional debut,

Doesn't even need to be from the rookie season, just their first card after they have made their NHL debut. Anything predating their NHL career is a prospect card and not a true rookie

2) Card must be from the base set, but does not need to be a "base card" (parallels count as true rookies)

Inserts or other non-base set cards are rookie year cards, but not true rookie cards, that distinction is important.

3) Card must be licensed by the NHL and the NHLPA

4) Card must be pack inserted

5) Bonus rule, must depict the player in their professional uniform or something close. Shots fired at that horrible Bure card in rollerblades lol

Anything that meets that criteria I consider a rookie card.

the only place i disagree with you, is on point #2. Parallels are inserts (because they are inserted at a rate of X : #Packs), and shoudn't count as a true RC.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
You hit this card.
You holding or are you selling?

Sell, the odds of it going up significantly compared to it possibly dropping are too much.

Actually, what I said about it dropping makes no sense lol. It's a 1/1 card, probably never drop.

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
You are only counting YG's which is silly.

There is going to be so much product with Bedard you would be foolish not to look at the entire production of sets and only just YG's.

Those Star Rookie sets were a gold mine at 30 bucks each then selling the Bedard alone at 25 along with the other cards and at minimum a parallel per set. That was printed money where you were coming out ahead double what you put in.

Plus, I got into a Bedard private signing and already made a fortune.
100% wouldn't be surprised if they opened it and took something out and replaced it with worse copies.
I would not touch anything with Baseball Card Exchanges hands on it. If they verified it, that's a red flag.

You hit this card.
You holding or are you selling?
Chances are D&A already pulled the card and are using that bounty to boost prices.

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
Or is he using his Nolan Ryan swap example and in his math failing to account for the worth of the Nolan or what it took to acquire it and just calling it 100% profit? If I sell my house for $500K , it ain’t pure profit.
The "worth" of the ryan is irrelevant.

If I paid 800 bucks for it two decades ago and can pull 4k from it now with 2 Bedard YGs, I'd say that's beneficial to me and the person who traded for it since it's going into his personal collection.

Sorry guys, I'm a flipper. I won't post any more info here on how to take advantage of a situation where you can make double what you put in when these situations only come once in a great while.

Carry on my wayward sons.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
The "worth" of the ryan is irrelevant.

If I paid 800 bucks for it two decades ago and can pull 4k from it now with 2 Bedard YGs, I'd say that's beneficial to me and the person who traded for it since it's going into his personal collection.

Sorry guys, I'm a flipper. I won't post any more info here on how to take advantage of a situation where you can make double what you put in when these situations only come once in a great while.

Carry on my wayward sons.
Interesting to see that Logan Paul's "Pokemon Expert" is also a hockey fan.
Can you go away to count your money now and shine your head now? Nobody cares.
sddefault.jpg

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I saw someone on one of the Facebook groups buy a McDavid Star Rookie (you get one per $45cad boxed set) for $110cad+shipping lmao

Tomorrow is going to be nuts. Setting up at a local show this weekend for sure.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
You are only counting YG's which is silly.

There is going to be so much product with Bedard you would be foolish not to look at the entire production of sets and only just YG's.

Those Star Rookie sets were a gold mine at 30 bucks each then selling the Bedard alone at 25 along with the other cards and at minimum a parallel per set. That was printed money where you were coming out ahead double what you put in.

Plus, I got into a Bedard private signing and already made a fortune.

I would not touch anything with Baseball Card Exchanges hands on it. If they verified it, that's a red flag.

Chances are D&A already pulled the card and are using that bounty to boost prices.
I get it, you make $30 a pop from the Star rookies...You would need to do that 17,000 times to get to your $500,000 profit. I'm sure you will make several thousand on Bedard while working your butt off mailing cards all day long, but stop with the BS that you're going to make $500,000. You wouldn't have time to be on this chat with the tens of thousands of transactions you would need to make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad