Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

algernon

Mar 19, 2006
Calgary
Well those guys were released before the pandemic and influencer hype.

Let's just point out social media card influencers didn't exist in 2015. They wernt privy to McDavid.

Bedards YG is pre-selling at 1k and you all damn sure know theyres going to be fools paying 1500 week one and two for his YG. There's idiot influencers who haven't touched hockey cards who are already hyping Bedard with one clown on tiktok saying he's the next Gretzky.

My advice, the Hawks are going to be dog shit wrapped in leather for the next few years and unless Bedard is churing out 150 point seasons that card is going to settle around 400/500 bucks with some guys dumping lower to get their hands on new product. The only bedards I would invest in are numbered cards. It wouldn't shock me one bit if there's a 500k print run of YGs this year or OPC flagship is at around 1 million per base card.

Not saying those are the print runs altho that opc base might be on the mark, just saying it wouldn't shock me.

As for that case of Gretzky rookie year it ended at 3.7 million thru heritage auctions, who currently are in a bunch of unsavory news. I hope who ever won that is stupid enough to stream a case break.
You have any links to follow the saga of that case?

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
You have any links to follow the saga of that case?

If it's heritage auctions, let's just say that whole graded video game shit came back and bit them in the ass.

If what the court docs say are true, you can bet the record Gretzky sale and that Gretzky case were shill bid to the sun.

Reactions: algernon and Coffey

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
Aren’t those numbered to 100?
Yes

They are going to land well above that if he pans out
Probably not.

I wanna believe that but there's going to be a tornado of Bedard rookies on the way in the coming months that a parallel from hockey's flag set don't move the needle for me.

That /33 does, but 100? Meh. I'll take the money every time. I personally see that card stabilizing at around 500 high, especially after the hype dies down.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
IMG_6811.jpeg

Not my sale but this is an all time eBay excuse

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Says who?

You cannot speculate card prices just because of players performance on the ice if that is what you are doing.

You, just like everyone else, have no clue the print runs of UD flagship. Bedards cards will be higher then McDavids on account of the hobby climate currently and there's nothing that's going to stop that from happening. Even if McDavid wins a cup this year it still won't be enough to knock Bedards cards down.

Bedard has a huge hype machine behind him currently that no other nhl player has had. There is no nhl player being talked about by hobby influencers who couldn't tell you a thing about hockey other then Connor Bedard.

Bedard has been set up to be the Mickey Mantle of hockey cards. McDavid YGs raw came out the gate at 200/350. Bedards are going to be 1k/1.5k. Card wise McDavid will never touch Bedard ceilings especially if Bedard wins cups.
He is being hyped so much so that he will not be able to live up to it. Once that happens, his card prices will drop.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
He is being hyped so much so that he will not be able to live up to it. Once that happens, his card prices will drop.
Never said he would live up to the hype.

But, that has no bearing on his card prices compared to McDavids. There's a ton of factors in play beyond what they do on the ice. Bedard plays for the most popular NHL team in the states, UD made a ton of different sets McDavids year,etc.

To say Mcdavids prices are the bar for Bedard, when Bedards prices out the gate are twice what McDavids were, is pure folly. Hype or no hype, unless McDavid wins three cups in a row he's in Bedards rear view for the foreseeable future and it's really not debatable.

Edit- and for the record, im selling bedard as fast as i get them. I have zero stake in ultra modern cards outside of flipping them. By this years draft i will make at least 500k on bedard and im not collecting, hoarding, or even keeping one for myself as a hawks fan. Im letting all these social media influencers do my work for me this time around.

Last edited:

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Never said he would live up to the hype.

But, that has no bearing on his card prices compared to McDavids. There's a ton of factors in play beyond what they do on the ice. Bedard plays for the most popular NHL team in the states, UD made a ton of different sets McDavids year,etc.

To say Mcdavids prices are the bar for Bedard, when Bedards prices out the gate are twice what McDavids were, is pure folly. Hype or no hype, unless McDavid wins three cups in a row he's in Bedards rear view for the foreseeable future and it's really not debatable.

Edit- and for the record, im selling bedard as fast as i get them. I have zero stake in ultra modern cards outside of flipping them. By this years draft i will make at least 500k on bedard and im not collecting, hoarding, or even keeping one for myself as a hawks fan. Im letting all these social media influencers do my work for me this time around.
I 100% percent disagree with almost everything you said. Keep riding that one way hype train though.

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
I 100% percent disagree with almost everything you said. Keep riding that one way hype train though.
I sure will.

Look, if you read any of my posts here they're about making money. I like posts of older cards and appreciate vintage.

I make money at this racket and give an opinion from that point of view. If you don't think you're making more money off Bedard then McDavid, who's cards have peaked in value and will probably go down unless he starts winning cups, then there's nothing I, a guy who actually makes money selling pieces of cardboard, can tell you to change your mind, and more power to you.

I made over a million dollars off mcdavid cards during the pandemic and will make similar numbers if not more off Bedard without a lock down blowing values thru the roof. I'm perfectly fine with hype.

Long story short- anybody throwing money at ultra modern and modern cards are silly. If there's auction sites filled with psa 10's and hundreds of raws of the same card, and your spending ridiculous money on them, good luck with that.

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
Screenshot-20240302-202841-X.jpg

You are better off just buying the Bedard instead of rolling the dice here.

Question- How many people are going to be stupid and throw their money away at that ridiculous slot?

Answer- alot

And for you marks who want to throw 2k away in about five minutes, I'll have 30 Bedard YGs next Friday that I'll sell you at 2k each, which is going to be 500 dollars more then they're going to be worth out the gate.

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
by buying them directly on the market?
Hell no. That's financial suicide.

Did I buy pre-orders at 1k? Sure I did. But 85% of those came thru a cashbros discord where I traded cards sellers could flip in their area easier then Bedard YGs.

If I have a Nolan Ryan psa 7 rookie collecting dust and can get two Bedard YGs for it, I'm doing that every day and pocketing the 2k each I will sell them for day one.

The things I could teach this class about making money....

Reactions: salwan

budaj guy

Mar 7, 2012
Northern Alberta
Hell no. That's financial suicide.

Did I buy pre-orders at 1k? Sure I did. But 85% of those came thru a cashbros discord where I traded cards sellers could flip in their area easier then Bedard YGs.

If I have a Nolan Ryan psa 7 rookie collecting dust and can get two Bedard YGs for it, I'm doing that every day and pocketing the 2k each I will sell them for day one.

The things I could teach this class about making money....
I didn’t realize this was a class…thought we were just discussing all things hockey cards. You may have a system for selling cards and making money, here’s hoping the money can fill the gaping hole in your life that you’re covering with your arrogant, know it all attitude (it won’t).

I like this thread, please don’t ruin it with your money talk, nobody cares how much money you have.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Screenshot-20240302-202841-X.jpg

You are better off just buying the Bedard instead of rolling the dice here.

Question- How many people are going to be stupid and throw their money away at that ridiculous slot?

Answer- alot

And for you marks who want to throw 2k away in about five minutes, I'll have 30 Bedard YGs next Friday that I'll sell you at 2k each, which is going to be 500 dollars more then they're going to be worth out the gate.
Aren’t you guaranteed two of his YG in 2 cases?

Cubs2024wildcard

Apr 29, 2015
I didn’t realize this was a class…
It's a line from a movie, bruh.

thought we were just discussing all things hockey cards.
wouldn't the market fall under "all things"?

You may have a system for selling cards and making money, here’s hoping the money can fill the gaping hole in your life that you’re covering with your arrogant, know it all attitude (it won’t).
Personal attacks ain't gonna get you anywhere, and if you read my opinions as "know it all" that's on you. If people are asking what they think card values are or are going to be ill give my opinion and have years beyond a pandemic of experience to back it up.

I like this thread, please don’t ruin it with your money talk, nobody cares how much money you have.
I like this thread, too. So much so I was going to give away a Bedard YG with the only rule being you had to watch the ten case break livestream which I was gonna link here next friday.

Should I scratch your name off that list?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I didn’t realize this was a class…thought we were just discussing all things hockey cards. You may have a system for selling cards and making money, here’s hoping the money can fill the gaping hole in your life that you’re covering with your arrogant, know it all attitude (it won’t).

lol. I was imagining how polar opposite dude’s behaviour is to that of a Warren Buffet.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
A lot of this thread is pretty cringey. I just wanna see some cool cards that people on here have

Almost wish there was a separate thread for all the "business" talk
I dont have a problem with people talking about selling and the secondary market at all because it is apart of the hobby nowadays but that dudes approach is completely sideways.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad